PDA

Bekijk Volledige Versie : Ray Charles is overleden

Joesoef
10-06-04, 22:16
Ray Charles dies at 73

BEVERLY HILLS, California (AP) -- Ray Charles, the Grammy-winning crooner who blended gospel and blues in such crowd-pleasers as "What'd I Say" and heartfelt ballads like "Georgia on My Mind," died Thursday, a spokesman said. He was 73.

Charles died at his Beverly Hills home surrounded by family and friends, said spokesman Jerry Digney.

Charles' last public appearance was alongside Clint Eastwood on April 30, when the city of Los Angeles designated the singer's studios, built 40 years ago in central Los Angeles, as a historic landmark.

Blind by age 7 and an orphan at 15, Charles spent his life shattering any notion of musical boundaries and defying easy definition. A gifted pianist and saxophonist, he dabbled in country, jazz, big band and blues, and put his stamp on it all with a deep, warm voice roughened by heartbreak from a hardscrabble childhood in the segregated South.

"His sound was stunning -- it was the blues, it was R&B, it was gospel, it was swing -- it was all the stuff I was listening to before that but rolled into one amazing, soulful thing," singer Van Morrison told Rolling Stone magazine in April.

Charles won nine of his 12 Grammy Awards between 1960 and 1966, including the best R&B recording three consecutive years ("Hit the Road Jack," "I Can't Stop Loving You" and "Busted").

His versions of other songs are also well known, including "Makin' Whoopee" and a stirring "America the Beautiful." Hoagy Carmichael and Stuart Gorrell wrote "Georgia on My Mind" in 1931 but it didn't become Georgia's official state song until 1979, long after Charles turned it into an American standard.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press

Tomas
10-06-04, 22:19
Hit the road, Ray.

:(

NA3 NA3
10-06-04, 22:35
Jep een groot artiest is heen gegaan.

rip

Robbedoes
10-06-04, 23:45
"Georgia on my mind" het eerste nummer waarop ik heerlijk heb geslijpt/geslepen met mijn eerste meissie.

Ray was echt een groot zanger/artiest.

Wortel
13-06-04, 12:37
Een groot verlies voor de muze van de lichte muziek. Zijn stem raakte de essentie...

gbkm
13-06-04, 12:43
R.I.P. Ray Charles

mvitlongue
13-06-04, 14:18
Als hij zijn gouden handjes laat wapperen klinkt er mooie muziek in de hemel.