PDA

Bekijk Volledige Versie : Annan: US invasion of Iraq was illegal

Siah
16-09-04, 13:57
Annan: US invasion of Iraq was illegal

Thursday 16 September 2004 12:00 AM GMT

United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan has described the US-led invasion of Iraq as illegal and a violation of the UN charter.

In an interview with BBC on Wednesday, Annan also expressed fears that holding credible elections in Iraq may not be possible as planned in January 2005 in view of the escalating violence.
"I am one of those who believe that there should have been a second resolution from the UN Security Council to green-light the US-led invasion that toppled Saddam Hussein's regime," Annan said.
"I have indicated that it was not in conformity with the UN charter from our point of view, and from the charter point of view it was illegal," he said.

US transgression

Annan stressed it was for the Security Council to act on UN resolutions to compel Saddam to abandon the pursuit of weapons of mass destruction.
"It was up to the Security Council to approve or determine what those consequences should be," he said.
He added that the US decision to go ahead and invade Iraq, with British forces at its side, "was not in conformity with the Security Council, with the UN charter".
Asked if he meant that the decision to invade was illegal, Annan replied: "Yes, if you wish."
The secretary general also had a grim forecast for Iraq, saying the current level of violence and unrest made credible elections early next year look highly unlikely.
"I think there have been lessons for the US and lessons for the UN and other member states," he said.
"I think that, in the end, everybody's concluded that it is best to work together with our allies and through the UN to deal with some of these issues," Annan said.
"I hope we do not see another Iraq-type operation for a long time."
The interview is likely to reignite debate over US President George Bush's decision to invade Iraq, a bitterly contested election campaign issue.

Agencies
By
You can find this article at:
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/2AA1310F-798C-4666-AE76-DCB6370C75CC.htm