PDA

Bekijk Volledige Versie : 'Media is schuldig aan anti-semitisme'

Spoetnik
25-01-05, 16:55
Rising UK anti-semitism blamed on media
Chris McGreal in Jerusalem
Tuesday January 25, 2005
The Guardian

Britain suffered the sharpest rise in anti-semitic attacks of any country last year, and British press coverage of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is a leading cause, according to an Israeli government report.

Natan Sharansky, the cabinet minister responsible for the diaspora, said the report found that violent attacks on Jews in Britain rose by almost half.

The government's global forum against anti-semitism, which wrote the report, said France again topped the list of anti-semitic violence with 96 attacks, but the number in Britain rose sharply to 77.

The total number of incidents in Britain rose to 304 from 163 a year earlier when verbal assaults, damage to property and swastikas daubing were taken into account. The report has been relased as Israel focuses on anti-semitism to mark the 60th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz.

Mr Sharansky attributed the British figures to "years of hostile reporting and commentary about Israel in the British press now spilling into the streets".

His officials singled out the Guardian and the BBC, accusing them of "likening Israel to a Nazi state". The Independent was also criticised.

David Weinberg, coordinator of the forum and an adviser to Mr Sharansky, said the report found that most acts of anti-semitism in Britain were carried out by Arabs or Muslims, but press coverage of Israel, and the actions of some politicians created a climate that encouraged such attacks.

"Among west European countries there is a red flag flying over Britain and it's particularly disturbing because Britain is a country friendly to Israel and the British government takes anti-semitism seriously."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,1397627,00.html

Sjaransky is overigens de minister van Diaspora in het kabinet van Sjaron. Zijn aanval op Engeland zal een poging zijn de Joodse bevolking van Engeland angst aan te jagen. In Engeland leeft de grootste groep Joden na Frankrijk. De reden hiervoor is om de Joodse bevolking te verbinden met het lot van Israel.

Sjaransky ziet het zo:

KAPLAN: I read once that Israel considers all of world Jewry to be de facto Israelis. As Minister for Diaspora Affairs, do you think that is true?

SHARANSKY: Look, Israel is a unique nation. I know of no nation in the world like it. I It was created as a tool for gathering the Jewish people together after two thousand years of exile. One important expression of this is the Law of Return, which says that almost any Jew in the world will be automatically granted Israeli citizenship at the moment he or she desires it. This means the state of Israel belongs not only to those who are living here but to the entire world Jewish community as well. I think it’s a very powerful expression, this central function of the state, that of granting a state to a people after two thousand years of exile.
http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=13244

En:

One final question, and that is this: How should Jews in the Diaspora move beyond just supporting Israel, and think about alternative Israeli policies? Do they have anything to contribute with regard to the debate within Israel about foreign policy and relations with the world? When you read Israeli papers, the diversity of the debate, the excitement of the democracy is clear in every line. But should this be a part of the way Jews in the Diaspora look at Israel?

Frankly, I always see the Jewish world as one, those who are living in Israel and those who are not yet living in Israel. It's parts of the same body of people who left Egypt 3000 years ago, and they are on their way to the land of Israel. That's why I believe that the Israeli government should be very closely involved in the problems of the Jews of the Diaspora. In fact, on my initiative was created a special government committee on the relations with the Diaspora, and I'm chairman all these years. That's why I believe that the struggle of Jews of Diaspora against anti-Semitism, and the struggle over Israel against double standard towards Israel, in fact, has to be one struggle, and there has to be much more coordination. And that's why I believe that Jews of the Diaspora have the same right, and I would say the same obligation, to be involved in the dialogue about the ways of building a Jewish democratic state, as the Jews who live in Israel.
http://globetrotter.berkeley.edu/people4/Sharansky/sharansky-con4.html

Dit is de lijn van de Israelische overheid en daarmee dus een gevaar voor Joden, zeker voor die Joden die zichzelf helemaal niet zien als Israelier.