PDA

Bekijk Volledige Versie : Islam: the tide of change

Seif
06-08-05, 10:12
Islam: the tide of change

The Muslim world is not the medieval monolith we in the west often imagine. Ziauddin Sardar toured some of its most populous and important countries, meeting senior leaders and thinkers, and he returned hopeful
May Allah forgive the BBC. The particular enormity? A decision to send me, in the BBC's words, "on an epic journey through the Muslim world". My mission: to talk to heads of government, intellectuals and opinion leaders and discover what has changed, what is changing and what could change.

We in the west suffer from a sort of tunnel vision about the Muslim world. For a start, we often speak and think of it as primarily Arab, where in fact only one Muslim in six is an Arab. We also tend to see it as static and rigid - it can appear, if there is any movement going on, that it is all in one direction, towards extremism and fundamentalism. This, too, is a false picture.

My voyages for the BBC took me to Pakistan, Indonesia, Malaysia, Morocco and Turkey, an itinerary that included some of the most populous and important Muslim nations. Everywhere I went I found courageous progressives engaged in a battle of ideas with conservatives. Each country had a different Islam, a different dynamic and a different way of addressing the issue of change, but that change is taking place is beyond dispute. And yet all this is largely invisible to us in the west.

Take Pakistan, where the 7 July bombers allegedly acquired their conservative ideological stiffening. It has been identified as a hotbed of militancy, a global centre for anti-progressive indoctrination. That militancy is a creation of the west, encouraged by the United States and Britain during the war against the Soviet Union in Afghanistan. Now that those fighters have turned on Pakistan as well as the west, the burden of containing them falls on President Pervez Musharraf, the military ruler who likewise came to power with the tacit approval of the US and Britain. Can he deliver what we expect him to deliver?

We met at the Army House in Rawalpindi, abode of all military dictators of Pakistan. Before the interview the BBC crew and I were searched, our mobile phones were confiscated, our filming equipment was scrutinised. Eventually we were taken to the Sun Room, a large conservatory where we found samurai swords, state-of the-art music and cinema equipment and fine Havana cigars. "This is where the president comes to relax," we were told.

General Sultan, chief press officer to the president, arrived to instruct us how we should film, and moments later another crew arrived. "They are going to film you filming the president," we were told, "for our own record." Other aides drifted in, and by the time General Musharraf sat down to talk the room was so crowded we could hardly move.

The extremists are being fought with "enlightened moderation", he declared. "It's a two-pronged strategy." Pakistan had to reject extremism and terrorism and opt for religious moderation and socio-economic development. The west, particularly America, has to change its foreign policy. Musharraf is genuinely concerned about the extremist threat - "If this country goes on the path to extremism, Pakistan's future will be very dark," he said - but I think his power to change his country is more limited than many in the west imagine.

Those words "enlightened moderation" are a carefully chosen weapon Musharraf is using against the Islamic parties, which are widely seen these days as groups of ignorant fanatics. His main foe on that front is Qazi Hussain Ahmad, leader of Jamaat-e-Islami and head of the coalition of right-wing religious parties. I met him, too, in rather different circumstances. At his bungalow in Islamabad the only security was a solitary bodyguard, yet the deputy leader of his party had just been murdered and his own car had been firebombed the previous day. It is not clear who was responsible. He looked shaken but spoke with defiance. "Pakistan was founded on Islamic ideology," he said. "We want the sharia as the foundation of this country." Qazi finds nothing unjust in the sharia law, which has had official authority in Pakistan for 25 years. "It is all about protecting human dignity," he told me.

Clinging blindly to ideas that are losing credibility all around him, Qazi cut a sad, beleaguered figure. If he is anything to go by, the Islamic parties have no future, for most people I spoke to in Pakistan told a very different story, and one of which we hear little in the west. They repeatedly expressed open resentment, both towards the military and the Islamic parties, and a great deal of their anger is focused on the sharia law, which they see as unjust and oppressive. Not only are they rejecting the sharia but they are also questioning the central ideology of Pakistan - the ideology used to legitimise military rule. The very things the conservatives want to ban - music, art, fashion - are being employed by these people to create a modern, confident Pakistan. And, much to the horror of the conservatives, women are in the driving seat.

If Pakistan poses a threat to the rest of the world it does not come from these people, or from Qazi and his conservatives. It lies elsewhere, and the west just cannot see it. The most obnoxious religious zealots in the country wear the uniform of the military, and what happened after my interview with Musharraf was a perfect illustration of the army's mentality. General Sultan, who had been sitting behind the president taking notes throughout, called us over and proceeded to review the interview line by line. "Can you cut this sentence out?" he asked. "And that sentence; and this word in the sentence after that?" The producer and I looked at each other in amazement.

The army has the habit of controlling everything. The richest, most politically active and most zealot-ridden institution in Pakistan, it helped create the Taliban and the jihadi madrasas, and it propped up the religious opposition. It was the former military ruler, General Zia ul-Haq, who enshrined the sharia in law. Those who think Pakistan's military rulers will rescue them from extremism are barking up the wrong tree.

What is most surprising to a visitor from the west is that, despite the military, an alternative, progressive interpretation of Islam is gaining strength. This is the force that can lead Pakistan out of its darkness; these are the people - not Musharraf and his supporters - who need our backing in the fight against extremism.

While Pakistan still struggles with its military rulers, Indonesia, the world's most populous Muslim nation, has emerged from a long military dictatorship. Here, the impact of democracy is evident. In Jakarta I met Ulil Abshar Abdalla, founder of the Liberal Islam Network (JIL). In his mid-thirties, Ulil was educated at local seminaries and is a highly qualified religious scholar. What is needed, he says, is "freedom to think, to question". Indonesia has a great tradition of intellectual debate and political dissent, and democracy has given that tradition its head.

The outcome is a radically transformed relationship between Islam and the state. Conventionally, Muslims have shaped the debate in terms of the "Islamic state" - that is, a state ruled by Islam with sharia as the state law. The progressive and liberal groups in Indonesia now seek to redirect political Islam towards shaping a civic society. And in the words of Abdul Mukti, the youth leader of Muhammadiyah, an organisation with more than 40 million followers: "It is time to rethink Islam without the sharia."

I have not seen that kind of boldness anywhere else, and yet it comes from within Muslim history: it represents a revival of the rationalist tradition of Islam. Liberal scholars and thinkers are using a rational, as opposed to literal, interpretation of Islamic texts. They view religious faith as a relative concept and believe in the separation of religion and state. This approach is the talk of the town in Jakarta. We even filmed the broadcast of the country's first mainstream television programme devoted to exploring rationalist and pluralistic interpretations of Islam. This is not the medieval Islam of western caricature, but something open and dynamic.

I believe the changes ushered in by democratic liberal thought in Indonesia are irreversible. Conservative forces are in retreat, even if they are not going quietly. Several fatwas have been issued against Ulil. "Are you worried?" I asked. He laughed. "I think a lot of people are upset at what we have to say, but many other people are happy." In July the conservative religious scholars of the Indonesian Ulama Council issued another fatwa. Liberalism, secularism and pluralism "contradict Islamic teachings", it said, while the JIL and Muhammadiyah Youth Intellectuals Network were "deviant". The last hurrah of a dying tradition.

While Indonesia is being transformed from the grass roots, its neighbour Malaysia is being changed from the top. For a quarter of a century it was ruled by the fiercely independent and authoritarian Mahathir Mohamad, who shaped it as a developed and wealthy country, a shoppers' paradise. In 2003, Mahathir's mantle passed to Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, who took over as prime minister. He is a man with ideas about the future of Islam.

I interviewed him in Putrajaya, the new administrative centre, which looks like a 1950s Hollywood set for an Arabian Nights epic. Apart from a lonely guard at the gate of his residence, there was no security. Badawi struck me as deeply religious and passionate. "My idea of progressive Islam," he insisted, "is nothing new." The prime minister calls his interpretation "Islam Hadhari", deliberately using the classic Islamic term for urban culture and civilisation. He wants the Muslims of Malaysia to focus on cultural and economic development and embrace modernity wholeheartedly. "There is nothing in Islam that is against modernity or against progress," he says. The emphasis on urban culture is deliberate - the conservative Islam of the Islamic party Pas is largely confined to rural areas. So by focusing on urban development and urban civic culture, Badawi is pitting his interpretation against conventional, traditionalist notions of Islam. Moreover, while the traditionalists emphasise the past, Islam Hadhari emphasises the present and the future. While the conservatives focus on piety, Islam Hadhari focuses on practicality.

Malaysia is a deeply conformist society. Unlike Indo-nesia, it does not have a strong intellectual tradition. Everything revolves around the personality and authority of the prime minister. If Badawi tells his citizens to be tolerant and modern, the likelihood is that they will be tolerant and modern.

Seif
06-08-05, 10:13
During a break in our interview I asked: "What do you do besides running the country? Do you collect stamps, or play chess?" His face lit up. "I collect walking sticks," he replied. Soon he was showing off his collection, drawn from all over the world, in various types of wood, simple and ornate. Badawi does not look like a man who would beat his citizens with sticks and yet under his leadership Malaysia has descended into corruption and censorship - and Islam Hadhari itself has been tainted with those authoritarian colours. For all that, Islam Hadhari is not itself the problem and I am convinced it can have a wide appeal for Muslims. Again, it does not conform to the west's ideas about modern Islam, but we in Britain should be paying attention.

In a closed society, too, profound changes can come from the top. This is what is happening in Morocco. King Mohammed VI, under pressure from women and progressive groups, has been respon-sible for reshaping the sharia. The 41-year-old monarch has religious authority as well as political power, and when he said "change" even the religious scholars changed. A new Islamic family law, known locally as the Moudawana and based on original Islamic sources, overturns 1,200 years of Islamic legalism and legal history, giving equal rights to women, children and minorities.

I was hoping to interview the king, but the nearest I could get was Andre Azoulay, one of the king's five main advisers. A tall, elegant Jew, he has an office in the royal palace, a city within a city screened by many layers of security. Azoulay spoke enthusiastically about his Jewish heritage, the king's reforms and his love of music, though when I suggested Morocco was not so much a democracy as an absolutist monarchy, his charm evaporated.

However, others I met in Morocco - women's rights advocates, family law judges and religious scholars - all emphasised one thing: the new law is proof against conservative Muslims who argue that the sharia, being divine, cannot change. It shows that there are resources in Islam that can be used to usher in modernity. Copies of the new law are being widely sold on the streets of Rabat and Casablanca. Even in conservative Fez, I discovered, it is the talking point of women young and old.

So, at the geographic extremes of the Muslim world, I met a paradox. The most profound change was occurring in an authoritarian state, Morocco, and there debate came as a consequence. In more democratic Indonesia, change is openly debated and urged, but its progress will be messy and will require time.

I had one more country to visit: Turkey. Unlike Morocco's king, the Turk-ish prime minister, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, was accessible, even if his security was overbearing. I interviewed him as we walked in the garden of Dolmabahce Palace and so attentive were his many bodyguards that it was difficult to keep them at arm's length.

Despite his background in conservative Islam, Erdogan is a democrat with no time for Islamic obscurantism. Far from rejecting Europe and its values, the Turkish leader believes European values emanate from Islamic humanistic traditions. He sees Europe as a natural ally, one that can protect the democratic forces in Turkey against the excesses of Ataturk's military legacy. More than anything else, he said, we are pragmatic.

That pragmatism is transforming Turkey. The economy is booming; the currency is newly reissued, dispensing with its multiple noughts; the air in Istanbul is breathable again, a change begun in his years as the city's mayor. Legislation has been introduced restricting the involvement of the army in politics. Erdogan is living proof that not only can Muslims change but that they can change their politics. This is an essential point and one that we ignore at our peril. Our foreign policy, politics and outlook towards the Muslim world should be based on this realisation.

From Morocco to Indonesia, desire for change spans the Muslim world, and progressive change is happening. It takes different forms in all the countries I visited, but there are also common threads. Having made my journey, I returned with a cautious optimism. Sweet reason may yet win the day.

Battling for the Soul of Islam will be broadcast on BBC2, 12 September, 9pm-10.30pm

Bron: New Statesman (http://www.newstatesman.com/nscoverstory.htm)

Olive Yao
07-08-05, 17:28
update