PDA

Bekijk Volledige Versie : "In da Bginnin God cre8d da heavens & da earth"

Orakel
09-10-05, 09:52
Bible cre8td for a nu wrl: testaments by SMS
October 6, 2005 - 3:01PM

It's the Bible, but not like anything the devout have ever read before.

The world's most famous book, which has been translated into more languages than any other publication, is now available in the world's most modern form of communication, SMS or text.

So instead of reading in Genesis how: "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth", it will now be a case of: "In da Bginnin God cre8d da heavens & da earth".

The idea, believed to be a world first, has come from the Bible Society in Australia which translated all 31,173 verses of the Bible into text.

They can then be accessed over the internet for free and people can send individual verses to family or friends as SMS or text messages via mobile phone.

"The old days when the Bible was only available within a sombre black cover with a cross on it are long gone," said Bible Society spokesman Michael Chant.

"We want to open it up for people of all ages, backgrounds and interests, and the SMS version is a logical extension of that."

Inspiration for the exercise came from the son of a Bible Society employee in Sydney.

It took just one person about four weeks to convert the entire new and old testaments to text.

The society used the Contemporary English Version and remained faithful to the grammar, changing just the spelling of the words.

Mr Chant said there was little doubt the new text version would appeal to young people, who were the biggest users of mobile phones.

But he said it could also be used to encourage, motivate and reassure people in all sorts of situations.

"People might want to send a verse to a friend in need, instructors might want to add verses to SMS bulletins to youth club members, or other people might just want to send a daily Bible recording to themselves to meditate on while they're on the bus or having lunch," he said.

"The idea is that the Bible can be used and be relevant and up-to-date, just like getting a verse of the day or reading a horoscope."

And for the record, sending the entire Bible by SMS would take more than 30,000 messages and cost almost $8000 at 25 cents for each message.

Some examples

Some examples of Bible verses from the Contemporary English Version (CEV) translated to SMS or text by the Bible Society in Australia.

In da Bginnin God cre8d da heavens & da earth. Da earth waz barren, wit no 4m of life; it waz unda a roaring ocean cuvred wit dRkness. (Genesis, chapter 1, verses 1-2).

God luvd da ppl of dis wrld so much dat he gave his only Son, so dat evry1 who has faith in him will have eternal life & neva really die. (John, chapter 3, verse 16).

U, Lord, r my shepherd. I will neva be in need. U let me rest in fields of green grass. U lead me 2 streams of peaceful water. (Psalm 23, verses 1-2).

Wrk hard at wateva u do. U will soon go 2 da wrld of da dead, where no 1 wrks or thinks or reasons or knws NEting. (Ecclesiastes, chapter nine, verse 10).

Respect ur father & ur mother, & u will live a long time in da l& I am givin u. (Exodus, chapter 20, verse 12).

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2005/10/06/1128562927820.html?from=top5

mark61
09-10-05, 10:56
Hoe zit dat eigenlijk met sms-en in het Arabisch? Ook een shortspeakversie van?

Couscousje
09-10-05, 11:11
NEting kende ik nog niet. :hihi:

Cc