PDA

Bekijk Volledige Versie : Peres kondigt afscheid van Labor aan

Spoetnik
30-11-05, 21:59
Former Labor chair will support PM in election
By Haaretz Service

Former Labor chairman Shimon Peres announced Wednesday he was ending his political activity in the Labor Party and would support Prime Minister Ariel Sharon in the upcoming March elections.

Peres stated that Sharon was the appropriate person to head a coalition of peace and security. He said he was supporting Sharon as the person who had the best chance of restarting the peace process with the Palestinians.

"In my opinion, the appropriate person to head the coalition that will bring peace is Arik Sharon," he said at a special press conference that he convened. "My party activities have concluded," he added.

Advertisement

"I held talks with him [Sharon] and I am convinced that he is determined to continue the peace process. I was informed that he is open to creative ideas to attain peace and security. I have decided to support him in the elections and to cooperate with him in attaining these goals."

"This is a difficult day for me in which I ask myself: What is the central issue standing before the state of Israel in the coming years and at present? I have no doubt that it is the unavoidable combination of peace and diplomatic advances. I ask myself how I can contribute in the coming years, and the answer is by advancing the peace process that will contribute to a thriving economy and social justice."

"It was not easy but I made the choice and decided," Peres, 82, said on his decision to leave the party he has been a member of for 46 years.

Peres, who has held every major Cabinet position, lost the race for Labor chairman three weeks ago to Amir Peretz.
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/652170.html

Hij steunt Sharon dus, maar zal niet tot zijn partij toetreden, zoals er nu uitziet.