PDA

Bekijk Volledige Versie : Italian poll stirs up abortion row

mark61
04-04-06, 18:55
By Rosie Goldsmith
BBC Radio 4's Crossing Continents

For the first time in 25 years abortion has become an election issue in Italy as politicians put religious and moral issues at the centre of their campaigns.

When you arrive at Rome's Termini Station you are greeted by vast election posters of Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi beaming down at you from revolving pillars all over the station.

In his flamboyant way, he has promised to abstain from sex until after the general election, which takes place on 9 and 10 April.

He has also compared himself with Jesus Christ because, as he claims, he is suffering for the Italian people.

But there are also more traditionalist Christian messages coming from Italy's politicians.

Both Mr Berlusconi's centre-right coalition and Romano Prodi's centre-left coalition are using religion and ethics in their campaigns, focusing on issues such as fertility rights and abortion.

Critics are alarmed that Italy's liberal Catholic values may be under threat.

The majority of Catholics, according to polls, disagree with church dogma on homosexuality, divorce and abortion.

They say that the church is dangerously meddling in politics.

Abortion - made legal in Italy in 1978 - is at the heart of this debate.

Difficult choice

Benedetta, a professional women in her 30s, became pregnant last year.

She developed a virus and was told there was a high chance the foetus would be infected and born with a serious deformity.

She decided to terminate the pregnancy - possible on medical grounds, according to the law.

She explained her difficult decision: "If I kill someone at 20 weeks I have no idea whether he will suffer or not.

"But it is better that he suffer for one second than for 30 years [with a] vegetable life."

At the first hospital she attended she was refused permission.

She consulted 10 doctors and most agreed it was her choice. But the problem was finding one to carry out the abortion.

More and more gynaecologists in Italy are becoming conscientious objectors to abortion and in some places in the south it is up to 80%.

Benedetta exhausted the possibilities and at 23 weeks she and her partner flew to Spain to have the termination at a private clinic.

"It was not possible in Italy," she said, "I didn't feel free to decide what I feel, what I want."

Benedetta was keen to tell her story "on the record". Other women with similar experiences were not.

Abortion 'crackdown'

In the beautiful, prosperous city of Bergamo in the region of Lombardy, the programme met a doctor from the main hospital.

It has one of the biggest gynaecology units in Italy and he claimed there was a crackdown on abortions there. He called himself "Ettore" as he did not want his real name to be used.

I have already been completely marginalised within the unit, and now only carry out menial tasks

'Ettore', Italian doctor

"There are very few doctors willing to perform abortions in this hospital. They think it will damage their careers," he said.

"Inside the gynaecology unit - and this is probably unique in Italy - there is a centre run by Movement for Life, a pro-life movement. The head of the unit is known to support this group."

"I've been trying for months now to draw attention to this," Ettore went on, "but it's a problem, especially with politicians in Italy.

"In ethical questions like this it means they would have to confront religious groups.

"I have already been completely marginalised within the unit and now only carry out menial tasks. The only time I'm allowed into the operating theatre is to carry out abortions."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/crossing_continents/4854010.stm

Gaat goed in Italië.