PDA

Bekijk Volledige Versie : Warning song for Congo migrants

mark61
29-05-06, 23:27
By Patrice Chitera
BBC, Kinshasa

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41693000/jpg/_41693064_congo203.jpg

Kalondji is one of Kinshasa's best-known performers

A song warning of the dangers faced by illegal migrants in Europe has shot to the top of the music charts in Democratic Republic of Congo.

Sans Papiers (No Papers) by Didier "Bill Clinton" Kalondji tells the story of people saving money to leave their homes for greener pastures in Europe.

Kalondji says people should stay at home, rather than run the risk of being deported even if they reach the west.

But in unstable DR Congo, many people still dream of emigrating.

Kalondji, one of DR Congo's biggest stars, says he once became an illegal immigrant himself, when he ran out of money while on tour in France and his visa expired.

But his promoters came to his rescue.

"I want to tell my countrymen that they can succeed with their lives even at home if they work hard," Kalondji says about his song in the famous Congolese "Rumba" style of fast and furious guitars and percussion.

"I see people who get deported back from Europe after staying there for more than 20 years. They return poorer, whereas they could have stayed at home and organised their lives."

The song has touched on a popular theme in DR Congo - across Kinshasa, it is easy to find people with tales of their attempts to get to Europe.

Handcuffs

One woman, who asked not to be identified, told me how she had recently been deported from Belgium.

"I was arrested at Brussels airport and though I tried to resist, I, along with other immigrants from Africa and Eastern Europe, were put into handcuffs," she said.

"The police put helmets on our faces and beat us. I bled throughout the whole return flight to Kinshasa.

"I wish I could stay here, but with the $10 a month that I earn working as a nurse at the Kinshasa state-run hospital, I am unable to support my family.

She is determined to emigrate again - but says next time she will get the right papers.

John Kabasu had a good job as an army officer but resigned a month ago and is now planning to emigrate to Europe.

He says the Sans Papiers song has helped him become more careful in his attempt to get the correct travel documents.

"I was scared to hear the Sans Papiers song about people being sent back to the country with nothing in their hands," he says.

"The song reminded me of those people who tried to enter Spain via Morocco but were stopped at the border."

He also says he could not get by on his salary.

But not everyone in Kinshasa wants to leave.

"Many people think that going to Europe is paradise but that is not the case," one man told me.

"People should work hard to make their lives better here. There is life here but many people are lazy here."

After years of conflict and misrule, the first multi-party elections in 40 years are due later this year.

Some hope these will lead to a brighter future and they will soon be able to find green pastures at home.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sans Papiers by Didier "Bill Clinton" Kalondji:

It's money that has brought division between people

With money, Man has brought in corruption

And today, you can not achieve anything if you don't have money.

Those without money are seen as worthless. Oh my dear,

My dear friend has decided to leave the country

In Africa, life is unbearable and every possibility seems to be blocked

So, my friend has decided to leave his country

But, leaving the country is not easy either

On the border, you must make a lot of sacrifice.

My dear friend has decided to leave the country

God has created the world not to be too difficult

He created the sky and the earth; he created the animals, very easily

But money came to divide us

If you don't have money and don't have a job, you become a Diaspora

Thinking life is better there

We've decided to send Uncle Gapa

Uncle Gapa spent 25 years in Europe

We see him in photos with a nice suit

We see him in photos enjoying life.

If you're too greedy in life, you risk losing what you possess.

My dear friend has finally been deported back to the country empty-handed.

My poor dear friend is now desperate.