PDA

Bekijk Volledige Versie : Protest against Israel unites Christians, Muslims

Lost_lady
25-07-06, 21:56
Protest against Israel unites Christians, Muslims

Hundreds of people, Muslims and Christians, gathered yesterday in Boston City Hall Plaza, in a massive protest against Israel’s brutal offensive against the Lebanese population and aggression against Palestinians in Gaza Strip.

“Free All Palestinian and Lebanese Political Prisoners,” read some of the signs.

“End the Israeli Occupation,” and “Stop Aid and Weapons.”

The three-hour rally, sponsored by the Muslim American Society, included a prayer service.

“Free, Free Palestine,” “Free, Free Lebanon.”

Fawzi Kronfol, 22, native Lebanese, has been trying to call his parents in Lebanon, but failed because of the continuous Israeli bombardment.

“I can't go to sleep unless I know they are OK,” Kronfol said. “Every day I hear about civilian deaths, and some day I'm afraid it will be someone I know.”

“The sheer power Israel is using to respond to Hezbollah for taking two hostages, in my view, is not justified," said Amine Sabbagh, 42, of Newton, who emigrated from Lebanon 25 years ago.

“I characterize this as war crimes.”

Mohamed and Imman Hamie, owner of a gas station in Taunton who Left Lebanon 27 years ago, both held a banner depicting injured children and corpses in Lebanon.

“It's unjustifiable,” said Mohamed Hamie.

“Nobody should have to be murdered.”

``Lebanon is being completely destroyed," said Camil Saade, a real estate agent from Salem, N.H., who also emigrated from Lebanon 27 years ago.

“The economy is going down the drain. Innocent people are being killed, and that's a shame. As a Christian, I can't wish death on anyone.”

• Egypt protests

In Egypt, daily demonstrations had been organised by Muslims and Christians to protest against the Israeli aggression in Lebanon and Gaza.

Christians protested on behalf of Lebanese victims, yet shied away from expressing support for the Lebanese resistance movement Hezbollah.

However Christians participating in demonstrations stressed the importance of giving the impression that their communities support Hezbollah’s fight against Israel.

Some Christians said that it was their duty to support their fellow Arabs.

"We are not concerned so much with religion in these circumstances as the West would have people believe," said Bishop Moussa, a Cairo-based Coptic priest.

"What we have here is Israeli violence on an entire country over a few soldiers."

• Support for Hezbollah

"There are thousands of Christians in Lebanon who probably don't support Hezbollah, at least they didn't before Israel started to bomb Beirut," he continued.

"Now Israel has given them all the reason to support Hezbollah as the only force in Lebanon capable of keeping Israel at bay."

"We are here to show that we care about what is happening in Lebanon," said Magda at a demonstration in Cairo.

Moussa and Magda agreed that Arabs, Muslims and Christians, have been united once more by a common enemy; Israel .

"It seems Israel is able to bring us together more effectively than we can do by ourselves," Magda said.

http://www.islamonline.com/cgi-bin/news_service/world_full_story.asp?service_id=2359

ronald
25-07-06, 22:39
HEBKAfile Exclusive: Rice learns in Beirut that neither the Lebanese government nor its parliamentary majority wants a ceasefire

July 25, 2006, 12:56 AM (GMT+02:00)

Speaking privately to PM Fouad Siniora Monday, July 24, the secretary of state said, according to DEBKAfile’s exclusive Middle East sources: You don’t want to be like the Palestinian Authority which stands by and watches its people go to ruin.

Before taking off for Jerusalem, she also met Nabih Berri, the pro-Syrian Shiite parliamentary speaker. He said later their talks had failed but, according to DEBKAfile, they did arrive at some tactic understandings. Before moving against his Shiite rival Hassan Nasrallah and the Hizballah, Berri preferred to wait for the first cracks to appear in their standing.

The US secretary also interviewed anti-Syrian coalition leaders, known as the “March 14 Camp.” Druze leader Walid Jumblatt remarked that Nasrallah was behaving like Yasser Arafat in the 1982 siege of Beirut. “He is willing to let the Lebanese capital burn while he haggles over terms of surrender.”

The Christian leader Samir Geagea said: The situation is terrible but the calamity has created an opportunity which we must not miss.”

Rice stressed to all her Lebanese interlocutors that the United States had never planned to use Lebanon to fight Iran. Americans, she said, would never forget that Hizballah is a terrorist organization which has murdered Americans and other nationals. Hizballah has a problem not just with the US president but with both houses of congress.

She rejected pro-Syrian leaders’ demand for a ceasefire without first establishing its components. Washington is willing to consider a multinational force, or even a NATO presence, but would insist on the full implementation of Security Council resolution 1559, namely the disarming of Hizballah. This could take place in stages but, first of all, Hizballah must give up its rockets, missiles and heavy weapons.

Condoleezza Rice informed Siniora that she was representing the position President Bush had put before Saudi foreign minister Saud al-Faisal at the White House Sunday, July 23, implying that there was no point in the Lebanese running to the Saudis for help. They would have to cope with the crisis themselves