PDA

Bekijk Volledige Versie : Eerste gekozen Muslim voor VS Congress

Lost_lady
09-11-06, 13:27
Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Fellow, The Center for Independent Media

Minneapolis, MN (HOL) - U.S. House of representatives will have its first Muslim member in January, when Democrat, Keith Ellison, takes the oath of office in the Qur’an, Islam’s holy book. Representing the liberal-leaning Fifth District, he’s also the first black Congressman from Minnesota.

Minnesota Somalis are believed to have played a significant role in catapulting Ellison to Congress. Hundreds of his volunteers, who devised a successful grassroots campaign, were Somalis who recently gained their U.S. citizenship. The Fifth District is home to the largest concentration of Somali immigrants in the U.S.

The 43-year old trial lawyer will succeed 28-year veteran, Rep. Martin Sabo, who will retire. He served two terms in the Minnesota house of representatives.

“When I say peace should be the guiding principle of our nation, I’m not only talking about the war in Iraq, foreign policy, but I’m also talking about domestic peace,” Ellison told a crowd that became emblematic of diversity. “We won for the principle that there can be no throwaway people in our society.”

He garnered 56 percent of the vote, defeating Republican Alan Fine, Independence Party’s Tammy Lee and Green Party’s Jay Pond.

He trounced fellow Democrats in the Sept. 12 primary, after surviving a bruising campaign that unearthed his tardiness in paying parking tickets that led to the suspension of his driver’s license, and a nagging accusation of being associated with the Nation of Islam, a controversial group thought to be anti-Semitic. He credits much of that victory to unusual turnout by the African Americans and immigrant groups, mostly Somalis who’re Muslims.

But attacks on his “character” hardly stopped there.

The next day, Republican Alan Fine said that, as a Jew, he was “offended” by Ellison’s candidacy to Congress. Fine continued to mount scathing attacks against Ellison, particularly on Ellison’s connections to what he called “risky individuals.”

Ellison mostly fended those accusations off, but didn’t retaliate back. In his victory speech, Ellison touted his “positive” campaign. “We're creating a new way of politics," he told the crowd. "You don't have to smear to win.”

The Detroit native, who moved to Minnesota in 1989 to study law, is married with four children. He converted to Islam when he was 19.

Asked his priority in Congress, Ellison said he wants to fix healthcare. “The people of the Fifth District gave me their confidence to do something about healthcare, the war in Iraq and education,” he said.

Some Democrats say he’s reminiscent of late Sen. Paul Wellstone in his energy and style. Short and stocky, he sputters like Wellstone. His Muslim faith saturated national and international media since winning the primary.

But for Muslims around the country, he embodies a critical point of access to corridors of powers in a country where Islam is embattled more than ever. Climbing the stage with him as he delivered his victory speech were Mahdi Bray, the executive director of Muslim American Society’s (MAS) Freedom Foundation, and James Yee, former Muslim chaplain at Guantannamo Bay who ascended to national prominent after the Bush administration abruptly dropped espionage charges against him.

“I came here to witness history,” Bray, who’s from Washington D.C. said in an interview. “Ellison will break a barrier in America.”

His comments were echoed by 19-year old Isse Jama of Fridley, who said he feels “vindicated” now that Ellison is elected. “Republicans have tried to portray [Ellison], and Muslims by extension, as fanatics who should be off limits to Congress," Jama said. He even skipped classes to help Ellison, because "if elected, he'll be open fresh doors in America.”

Ellison, who’s backed by prominent Jewish, Christian and Muslim leaders, said he understands the challenge of gluing together such a diversified base.

“I’ll provide them with job opportunities to keep them busy,” he said.

Source: HOL, Nov 8, 2006

Great news!
Dankzij de grote Somalische gemeenschap in Minnesota, U.S. House of representatives will have its first Muslim member in January, :lole:

Pratana
09-11-06, 16:28
Naar mijn bescheiden mening heeft Amerika nooit iets tegen de moslims gehad.
Sameleving is toch met allen, of vergis ik me?
Wensde verkozene veel succes toe :)

Lost_lady
09-11-06, 17:21
Geplaatst door Pratana
Naar mijn bescheiden mening heeft Amerika nooit iets tegen de moslims gehad.
Sameleving is toch met allen, of vergis ik me?

Despite attempts by the foreign media to send a message that hate crimes against Muslims are on the decrease worldwide. Evidence shows that the problem is only worsening.

'Wear a Hijab Day' – US Muslims' response to killing
http://www.islamophobia-watch.com/islamophobia-watch/2006/11/8/wear-a-hijab-day-us-muslims-response-to-killing.html

http://www.islamophobia-watch.com/islamophobia-watch/2006/11/1/they-are-here-to-take-over-our-country-us-baptist-warns-of-muslim-threat.html
'They are here to take over our country' – US Baptist warns of Muslim threat

Pratana
09-11-06, 18:48
Despite attempts by the foreign media to send a message that hate crimes against Muslims are on the decrease worldwide. Evidence shows that the problem is only worsening.

'Wear a Hijab Day' – US Muslims' response to killing
http://www.islamophobia-watch.com/i...to-killing.html

http://www.islamophobia-watch.com/i...lim-threat.html
'They are here to take over our country' – US Baptist warns of Muslim threat

...wel als je het zo aan haalt, ik ben het hier oneens want kijk in een democratie kan ieder zich laten vertegewoordigen en ook dus verkoze worden, en wat ik aanhaalde was dat het leuk is voor de amerikaanse moslims, een vertegewoordider te hebben, dat wil toch iedereen in een democratie wat het tegenover gestelde is van ee theocratie waar de macht genomen wordt!

Lost_lady
09-11-06, 19:42
Geplaatst door Pratana

...wel als je het zo aan haalt, ik ben het hier oneens want kijk in een democratie kan ieder zich laten vertegewoordigen en ook dus verkoze worden, en wat ik aanhaalde was dat het leuk is voor de amerikaanse moslims, een vertegewoordider te hebben, dat wil toch iedereen in een democratie wat het tegenover gestelde is van ee theocratie waar de macht genomen wordt!

Alle eerste hij is geen vertegenwoordig van de Moslims.. zie hier in zijn eigen woord
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6127234.stm
"Although he follows Islamic law in his personal life, he stresses that he is not the "Muslim candidate" for Congress."I'm not running as a Muslim, I'm running as an American, as a person that's trying to help our country be better," he told Voice of America in an interview earlier this year. "

Hij is vertegnwoordig van mensen van staat Minnesota, een staat met over grotendeel blanke Amerikanen oorspronkelijk uit Noorwegen, minderheid Somali(Moslims),cambodia en etc.

Wat democratie heb je het over?, alsof deze man iets anders heeft gekend, hij is een Amerikaan-moslim en hij heeft niks anders dan democratie gekend, de democratie en de vrijheid die voor zijn voorouders ervoor hebben gevochten voor hem en voor zijn land.