PDA

Bekijk Volledige Versie : Het enige gebouw dat gebouwd wordt..

Coolassprov MC
21-05-07, 06:53
I read about the new embassy and I am convinced that this embassy plan was part of the same plan of those who designed the "sweets and flowers" scenario. It seems to me that the developments since the war have rendered this embassy plan obsolete: "It will cover 104 acres (42 hectares) of land, about the size of the Vatican. It will include 27 separate buildings and house about 615 people behind bomb-proof walls. Most of the embassy staff will live in simple, if not quite monastic, accommodation in one-bedroom apartments. The US ambassador, however, will enjoy a little more elbow room in a high-security home on the compound reported to fill 16,000 square feet (1,500 sq metres). His deputy will have to make do with a more modest 9,500 sq ft. They will have a pool, gym and communal living areas, and the embassy will have its own power and water supplies. But commentators and Iraq experts believe the project was flawed from its inception, and have raised concerns it will become an enormous, heavily targeted white elephant that will be an even greater liability if and when the Americans scale back their presence in Iraq."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,,2084288,00.html

One building that's been built on time and on budget in Iraq: America's fortress embassy

· Vatican-sized bomb-proof structure to cost £300m
· Builders in Green Zone already insurgent targets

Ed Pilkington in New York
Monday May 21, 2007
The Guardian

A portion of the new US embassy under construction is seen from across the Tigris river in Baghdad, Iraq. Photograph: AP

When the idea of building a new US embassy in Baghdad was first mooted by the American administration in the aftermath of the invasion of Iraq, there seemed to be a grandiose logic to it.
The compound, by the side of the Tigris, would be a statement of President Bush's intent to expand democracy through the Middle East. Yesterday, however, the entire project was under fresh scrutiny as new details emerged of its cost and scale.

Rising from the dust of the city's Green Zone it is destined, at $592m (£300m), to become the biggest and most expensive US embassy on earth when it opens in September.