PDA

Bekijk Volledige Versie : Moroccan family barred from toilet

mark61
04-06-07, 21:28
By Richard Hamilton
BBC News, Sale, Morocco

A family living in a public toilet in Morocco have spent seven years requesting more hygienic accommodation.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/43005000/jpg/_43005037_id203.jpg

Their pleas fell on deaf ears, and Aze Adine Ould Baja has had to endure the ignominy of having "Sidi toilets" as the official address on his identity papers.

Desperate to do something about their plight, Mr Baja and his wife Khadija Makbout recently went to a local newspaper with their story.

"I was fed up with the situation and I was becoming more and more ill," Mr Baja explained.

"There were lots of vermin in the toilet. My little boy is only seven months old but he is also a Moroccan citizen and deserves better."

But a few days later the local authorities moved in to block up the toilet's entrance with cement and concrete.

Mr Baja, his wife and three children now find themselves barred from the only home they had.

Health fears

In a narrow street of the old medina in Sale, the city across the river from the capital, Rabat, Mr Baja explained how he fell into poverty and ended living in the public lavatory, where he was the attendant.

He worked at the toilet for 23 years, where he earned less than $1 a day.

"How can a married man feed his children on a dollar a day?" he asked.

His troubles began several years ago when his daughter was kidnapped and he had to sell everything to try to find her.

She was eventually found, but he could not afford to rent the place where he had been living and the family moved into the toilet as a temporary measure.

But with no help from the local government and no money to rent anywhere else they ended up staying.

"My children and I have suffered a lot," Ms Makbout told the BBC.

"Rats and mice were eating and tearing our clothes and I was afraid that they would harm my baby boy. I was sleeping near the drain.

"I asked the authority for a place where my children could live but they did nothing."

Squashed

Mrs Makbout said the she hated seeing her children grow up in this situation.

"When my son went to school, the other children would tease him and call him 'the boy from the toilet'.

This identity card shows 'Sidi toilet' as an official address
"When he came home he would cry and asked me why we lived in the toilet."

At one stage the family were offered a place to live but it had no roof.

For the moment the family are squashed in with Ms Makbout's mother. They have been promised somewhere else by the authorities but so far nothing has happened.

Now destitute, without a job or home, Mr Baja despairs of his situation.

"My children are tired of getting hungry."

"I have health problems and poor blood circulation, so I have to go to hospital about three times a year. I could die at any time."

All these troubles make him consider emigrating.

"When I feel myself dying of hunger and I can see that my children are dirty and suffering - I no longer want to stay in Morocco."

"I think I may find a boat in Tangier and take my wife and children away.

"Maybe we will die in the middle of the sea. Maybe it will take us to a place where it is easier to get something to eat.

"But we would find it hard to leave Morocco, because we are proud of it."

Detained

While investigating the story a police officer came up to me and asked for my identity card.

He took it away and detained me briefly in the local police station.

I also tried to speak to a local government representative about the family's situation, but no-one was available for an interview.

Although this family's story is unusual, it is not altogether surprising.

Hundreds of thousands of Moroccans live in abject poverty in slums and shanty towns.

Some of those slums have produced the recent waves of suicide bombers.

It reflects the huge gap between rich and poor in Morocco: some people live in luxury, others live literally in a toilet.

Kafka leeft. In Marokko.

observer
05-06-07, 09:41
er zijn natuurlijk genoeg mensen in marokko zonder stromend water en toilet in huis maar bizar is het zeker

justus
05-06-07, 09:57
Geplaatst door observer
er zijn natuurlijk genoeg mensen in marokko zonder stromend water en toilet in huis maar bizar is het zeker

misschien wordt het daar tijd om eens na te denken over sociale woningbouw? met toilet maar niet in toilet?
(overigens, je huis is zo schoon, gewoon doortrekken).

mark61
08-07-07, 01:16
Readers help Moroccan toilet family
By Richard Hamilton
BBC News, Sale, Morocco

Donations from online readers have helped a family in Morocco find somewhere to live after seven years living in a public toilet.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42468000/jpg/_42468946_family203.jpg
Aze Adine Ould Baja says he wants to buy a home for his family

Readers of an article on the BBC News website in June were so moved by the story of Aze Adine Ould Baja, his wife Khadija and their three children, that they donated more than $2,000 (£1,000).

The family is now renting a new flat with the money they have received and hope to buy their own house in the future.

"I don't think we would have survived if it had not been for the money," Mr Baja told me.

"We had been thrown out of the toilet by the authorities and I had lost my job as the attendant there. I want to thank all the people who gave money, may God bless them and give them a place in heaven."

His wife Khadija said the experience had restored her faith in human nature.

"Because of this, we now know that charitable people still exist in the world," she said.

"We never thought we would receive anything," she told me, "but now we have an apartment that is clean, has water, electricity and even a toilet!

"We thank God we are living in a place like this and not in the public lavatories, where we lived among rats and mice."

Evicted

About 10 years ago their youngest daughter was kidnapped, and the family spent all their money getting her back.

No longer being able to afford their flat, the family moved into the public lavatories in Sale near Rabat, where Mr Baja worked as the attendant.

They thought it would be just a temporary measure because the local authority promised them somewhere else to live, but seven years later those promises had still not become reality.

In fact the authorities even issued them with identity papers that gave their official address as "Toilets, Sale".

When the family told their story to a local newspaper the authorities evicted them from the lavatories and blocked it up with concrete.

But after they read about the plight of the Baja family on the BBC website, hundreds of people from as far afield as the United States, Britain and Kuwait sent emails expressing concern.

"I have been unemployed for quite some time now," wrote one reader, "but I have a roof over my head now and would like the same thing for the Baja family."

"It is a shame for the whole world that innocent people have to live under such horrible conditions," wrote another.

And yet another correspondent said: "Brother, I pray your troubles will pass soon. Please pray for me and my family too. Wa Salaam."

Deposit on home

Dozens of people have now sent donations via the money transfer service, Western Union. More money is still coming in.

Mr Baja plans to get a job working as a car park attendant or selling snacks on the beach at Sale.

He also wants to buy his own house using money he has received as a deposit.

"Living in the toilet was a nightmare that we have woken up from," he said.

"It was like a dark cloud or a fog passing in front of our eyes. When you have no job, no house and cannot provide for your family, you are not a real human being," he added, "but now I am a human being again."

mark61
09-07-07, 10:46
Ik vind het maar raar dat niemand hierop reageert.

Zo vind ik het wel apart dat een Marokkaans gezin uit de brand is geholpen doordat een buitenlandse journalist op internet over hen schrijft.

Slinger
09-07-07, 10:47
Geplaatst door mark61
Ik vind het maar raar dat niemand hierop reageert.

Zo vind ik het wel apart dat een Marokkaans gezin uit de brand is geholpen doordat een buitenlandse journalist op internet over hen schrijft.

Probeer het eens in het Nederlands. Niemand leest die Engelse lappen.