PDA

Bekijk Volledige Versie : Darfur: Niks arabieren tegen zwarten, maar strijdt tussen US en China?

TonH
27-06-07, 23:00
Complexities of an African tragedy

Slovenian journalist Tomo Kriznar’s firsthand account of the reality and horrors of the conflict in the Darfur region of western Sudan

AFP
Displaced Darfuris await the arrival of the UN relief coordinator Jan Egeland in the rebel-held town of Gereida in southern Darfur, May 7, 2006. France brought the United States, China and some 15 other nations together for a major conference in Paris on June 24, aimed at launching a new international drive to end the atrocities in Darfur.

By Apostolis Fotiadis - Kathimerini

The desert of Sudan is a sea of sadness. The war that began in 2003 was overshadowed by the noise of the US invasion of Iraq. Over the next four years it developed into an unbridled massacre in which thousands of innocent people were tortured, raped and executed. Slowly and steadily the scale of the horror, underlined by some 2 million refugees, became far too big to ignore. The West appeared reluctant to become involved.

“Saying that Darfur is too far away is like saying that it is too black,” I remember Robert Balogh, an intelligent and melancholy student from Hungary, saying irately to his colleagues at a student conference in Portoroz, Slovenia, last September. He was right; if white people were being killed in Darfur, no one would dare say it is too far away to intervene. At the time, I also heard about a Slovenian journalist who had traveled to Darfur in the previous months. Tomo Kriznar has indeed been one of the few eyewitnesses to risk a journey to Darfur in the last three years. Kriznar attempted to break the silence surrounding the brutality of this war that the government of Sudan has concealed in every way possible.

As he later explained, his relationship with the region was not a new one. He had arrived in Sudan for the first time in 1980. He then spent a good while living with the Nuba tribe in central Sudan, recording their culture. He left at the end of the 90s, when the Nuba were suffering under mounting oppression. He prepared a book and a documentary on the situation in the region and returned there many times until the Nairobi peace agreement, which marked the end of the war in southern Sudan. His latest trip to Darfur took place when the president of Slovenia, Janez Drnovsek, proposed him as his envoy to the area in an effort to ascertain the magnitude of the humanitarian crisis and research the possibilities for organizing a peace process.

To my proposal for an interview about Darfur, he responded with a sincere lack of enthusiasm. “Another conversation about Sudan is pointless if someone doesn’t explain firstly the complexities of this reality.” Indeed, by being one of only a handful of journalists to have traveled to Darfur over the last few years, an area equal in size to France, he was more than right. People learn about the Sudanese reality solely through brief, distant reports in which evil Muslims occasionally slaughter helpless Africans.

What, though, is the reality of this war and what is the reason for its cruelty? In his description, Kriznar stresses how complex the reality is. He explains the differences between the tribal rebel leaders of the Sudan Liberation Army (SLA), Abdel Wahid and Minni Minawi, who are fighting against the government of Sudan and sporadically against each other; the ambiguous role of the neutral African Union; and the limited support from Western humanitarian organizations to the victims in Sudan. The war as described by Kriznar is not a simple confrontation between the fundamentalist Janjaweed and African rebels of Darfur. It is more like the articles of Ryszard Kapuscinski, the Polish journalist who covered the wars and rebellions across the continent during the collapse of colonialism and the national awakening of Africa. Tribes fighting for scarce drinking water; ruthless bandits running amok in a frontier-less battlefield burning and looting; governments and leaders equipping and manipulating them according to their interests.

After three months in Darfur – during which he lived and traveled with the rebels fighting the Janjaweed militia – Kriznar was arrested by the African Union in July 2006. “The government was afraid that the documents I had gathered would expose the level of genocide,” he says. “My status as a representative of the president of Slovenia expired formally in May 2006, when the peace agreement was signed in Abuja, Nigeria, between the Sudanese government and the SLA faction led by Mini Minawi. Still I decided to stay, believing that peace didn’t have a chance.”

We need to find a way to send in foreign observers and organize an effort abroad

AP
A Darfur Arab nomad and suspected Janjaweed militiaman (right) rides into the town of Bindisi in Darfur, Sudan, on camel on April 22, 2007. Below: Tomo Kriznar in January at a press conference in Slovenia.

What made you do this?

People I met everywhere were asking me to stay. It was terrible when I listened to them saying that my presence as a journalist there, with a camera, a PC and a satellite link was the reason that the Janjaweed wouldn't attack them - ordinary women and small children. So I stayed for much longer than I should have, until the passage to Chad became extremely dangerous because of armed conflict between various rebel groups. Then, with the assistance of the Slovenian president, I referred my case to the African Union, asking for their assistance to cross into Chad. At first they agreed, but when I appeared they said that they didn't want any involvement and they took me to the regional headquarters of the AU. There, their head, an Arab from northern Darfur himself, decided to hand me over to the military security service.

What were you accused of and how was the experience of detention?

I was detained for sending reports from the rebel regions without special permission from the government; nobody though gets permission from this government. Initially the reason for arresting me was that I had arrived in the country without an entry visa, later on the charge was upgraded to dissemination of false information and espionage. I spent five days in the hands of the military security service and another five in police custody before going before a court, which ordered an investigation into my case. The investigation procedure was somewhat difficult since my captors were screaming and cursing constantly, they punched me once, and on another occasion six soldiers, without an officer present, took me to the garbage dump and ordered me to urinate in a hole dug to my size.

Two, three, tough minutes passed before they started joking and took me back to my cell. Finally, in a letter of pardon, the president of Sudan granted me amnesty in the name of Allah after an appeal from the president of Slovenia. When I was held captive during August 2005 two more journalists were arrested. A young American and Paul Salopec, who had twice been awarded the Pulitzer Prize. All of us were eventually released but there were moments when we thought that our fates depended on the political gains the government would reap in exchange.

To what extent can the term «genocide» be attributed to what you have seen in Darfur?

The extermination of rebels in Darfur is very similar to the war in southern Sudan. Essentially it is the methodical destruction of communities who support them. This translates into «dry up the water hole and you will get the fish.» For me this is tantamount to genocide. For others, it appears that the crematoriums and professionalism of the Third Reich must be in evidence before they use the term. Still, people who have passed through the region agree that there is a systematic pattern of extermination of the African population and transformation of the country into an Arab one. When a document proving the existence of mass graves was found on my computer, a high-ranking military officer from Khartoum ordered that anyone taking pictures of graves should be executed, including UN officials. It was only the fear of the political cost that prevented something like this happening.

Under what conditions do the people of Darfur live today?

Very, very difficult, very depressing. There is no future, living under the constant fear of the Janjaweed attacks. We all know the government fosters these attacks. From villages on the border with Chad to the rebel groups, I met people everywhere eating from packages sent by the World Food Program of the UN. Without food supplies, famine would be rife, since over the last four years all livestock has been killed, peasants have left and the land isn't cultivated. The picture I have is that 90 percent of international aid goes to refugee camps that are under the control of the government, 9.90 percent to the population of the regions controlled by Mini Minawi and only 0.10 percent to the areas where the forces of Abdel Wahid are deployed. Lack of food and clean water is another reason for the continuation of this war. The absence of every type of infrastructure has driven people to the mountains where they must confront local tribes determined to defend their land.

How responsible are Western societies for the severity of this humanitarian crisis and how could a more determined international community alleviate these dreadful conditions?

I am certain that international public attention could protect many people in Darfur from annihilation or displacement to Chad and Central Africa. In my case, when serious pressure was exerted on the Sudanese government for my release, they responded. Politicians and the government take criticism, negative comments and pressure very seriously. The intransigent profile to which they cling is a sham; in fact they are very careful not to isolate themselves. Initially there should have been a clear-cut denouncement of the genocide from the EU. There is no doubt that in the last 50 years a plan for the Arabization of the population has developed in Sudan.

Why has the confrontation between the African population and the Arab element reached this level of violence?

This relationship is a subject of great interest. The Arab element arrived in the area at the end of the 17th and beginning of the 18th century. It was solely because of trade that Arab culture and Islam spread and gradually marginalized other regional cultures. However, there are still major internal complications. For example, Arabs in Darfur are branded by other Sudanese as pagan Islamists, and their mosques are destroyed and their Qurans burnt. But, the real causes of war have always been the political and economical interests that capitalized on and exacerbated these divisions. The government of Sudan is mainly accountable for the war both in the south and in Darfur; it never respected human rights or any sense of humanism.

What are the interests you refer to?

One should consider the complexity of the situation in order to form a clear picture of the war in Sudan. Imagine Libya under Colonel Muammar Khadafy - who first envisioned the creation of an Arab country and played a leading part in consolidating the Arab element - cooperating with and supporting the rebels. I have seen with my own eyes the Mercedes trucks crossing the desert from Libya to Darfur carrying equipment for the rebels. On another level Darfur has increasingly become one of the front lines between networks of international terrorism and the US. The US, through Khadafy, is supporting the rebels of Mini Minawi, while Khartoum has always maintained some kind of relationship with al-Qaida. China, on top of it all, blocks every effort for a resolution at the UN, winning time in order to promote its own interests in the region. Even though we should be careful about making these kinds of generalizations, the war in Sudan is in fact partly the result of a conflict between China and the US.

AFP
Displaced Sudanese women at a water point on May 21, 2006, in Abu Shouk camp, near the capital of Darfur.

Is there any chance things will improve in the immediate future?

New negotiations are planned for Eritrea, which will be attended only by the government and one of the rebel groups. In the rebels' eyes this country isn't a neutral mediator. There is a huge deficit of trust on every side. For example, Arabs bribe people in the African Union, whose personnel often have very real and human weaknesses.

Can the war spread further in the region? The Janjaweed are already attacking eastern Chad and the insurgency is gradually spreading to this area. The war in Somalia and other conflicts in the region make it one of the most unstable on the continent.

Many tribes living around Darfur originate and remain culturally and historically tied to the region, while many young people are recruited to return and fight there. Eastern Chad is even poorer than Darfur, an immense part of a country in which everything of some value had been in the hands of France since the era of colonialism. Years of war have increased inequality and people have no other means to resist domination and oppression than the most primitive. With conflict serving the interests of so many, it wouldn't be hard to predict new friction erupting in the area. If we are really interested in helping these communities, we need to find a way to send in foreign observers and organize an effort abroad. Somewhere in Europe would be best.

Kathimerini, 27/06/07

TonH
27-06-07, 23:01
Timeline
1955-1972: The first civil war between tribes in the south and Arabs who controlled the northern part of the country. Differences between the two sides had deepened during the colonial period because of a ban on the movement of people from north to south introduced by the British administration. The conflict ceased in 1972 with the Addis Ababa Accord. Ten years of peace followed.

1970: With the end of the war in the south, armed conflict erupted in Darfur, lasting until 1994.

1983: Sudanese President Gafaar Nimeiri tried to cancel the Addis Ababa agreement. Opposition to his plans led to the creation of the Sudanese People’s Liberation Army (SPLA) and in June the treaty giving increased autonomy to southern Sudan was abrogated. The divide grew deeper in September when Nimeiri introduced Sharia as the law of the state. The second civil war began.

1989: Current Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir and the leader of the National Islamic Front, Dr Hassan al-Turabi, seize power. The conflict spreads, becoming more violent and destructive. Tribal, racial and cultural rifts deepen, followed soon after by the first condemnations of the systematic extermination of black Africans.

2003: Armed conflict again erupts in Darfur. On September 9, 2004, the then US Secretary of State Colin Powell described the war as “genocide.”

2005: The second civil war ended in January with the Nairobi Agreement. Southern Sudan gained autonomy for six years, after which the status of the area would be considered in a referendum. In August, the south’s Vice President-elect John Garang, leader of the SPLA, died in a helicopter accident. Widespread violent protests did not compromise the agreement. A UN mission arrived in the south in March and started distributing humanitarian aid.

2006: The government and the faction of the Sudan Liberation Army (SLA) led by Mini Minawi struck a peace agreement for Darfur. The accord envisaged the disbanding of the Janjaweed militia and the rebel groups. The government however never tried to implement it properly. The accord failed as another faction of the SLA, led by Abdel Wahid, continues to fight in central Darfur.

mark61
27-06-07, 23:08
Eh, waar wordt Darfur uitgelegd als gevolg van US <> China?

Elk redelijk normaal geďnformeerd mens kan uitleggen dat er sprake is van strijd om schaarse landbouw- <> weidegrond, schaars tgv overbevolking en -begrazing.

US en China hebben daar niets, maar dan ook niets mee te maken.

Overigens is de situatie in neighbouring Centraal Afrikaanse Republiek dermate ellendig dat CAF-bewoners nu NAAR Darfur vluchten. Newsflash.

Olive Yao
27-06-07, 23:40
Complexe werkelijkheid?

“Another conversation about Sudan is pointless if someone doesn’t explain firstly the complexities of this reality”. Indeed, by being one of only a handful of journalists to have traveled to Darfur over the last few years, an area equal in size to France, he was more than right. People learn about the Sudanese reality solely through brief, distant reports in which evil Muslims occasionally slaughter helpless Africans.

What, though, is the reality of this war and what is the reason for its cruelty? In his description, Kriznar stresses how complex the reality is.

(…)

The war as described by Kriznar is not a simple confrontation between the fundamentalist Janjaweed and African rebels of Darfur. It is more like the articles of Ryszard Kapuscinski, the Polish journalist who covered the wars and rebellions across the continent during the collapse of colonialism and the national awakening of Africa. Tribes fighting for scarce drinking water; ruthless bandits running amok in a frontier-less battlefield burning and looting; governments and leaders equipping and manipulating them according to their interests.

(…)

The extermination of rebels in Darfur is very similar to the war in southern Sudan. Essentially it is the methodical destruction of communities who support them.
(…)
Still, people who have passed through the region agree that there is a systematic pattern of extermination of the African population and transformation of the country into an Arab one. When a document proving the existence of mass graves was found on my computer, a high-ranking military officer from Khartoum ordered that anyone taking pictures of graves should be executed, including UN officials.

(…)

Under what conditions do the people of Darfur live today?

Very, very difficult, very depressing. There is no future, living under the constant fear of the Janjaweed attacks. We all know the government fosters these attacks.

(…)

The picture I have is that 90 percent of international aid goes to refugee camps that are under the control of the government, 9.90 percent to the population of the regions controlled by Mini Minawi and only 0.10 percent to the areas where the forces of Abdel Wahid are deployed.

(…)

There is no doubt that in the last 50 years a plan for the Arabization of the population has developed in Sudan.

(…)

But, the real causes of war have always been the political and economical interests that capitalized on and exacerbated these divisions. The government of Sudan is mainly accountable for the war both in the south and in Darfur; it never respected human rights or any sense of humanism.

(…)

One should consider the complexity of the situation in order to form a clear picture of the war in Sudan.

(…)

Even though we should be careful about making these kinds of generalizations, the war in Sudan is in fact partly the result of a conflict between China and the US.

(…)

Can the war spread further in the region? The Janjaweed are already attacking eastern Chad

(…)

the systematic extermination of black Africans.

TonH
27-06-07, 23:46
Geplaatst door mark61
Eh, waar wordt Darfur uitgelegd als gevolg van US <> China?

One should consider the complexity of the situation in order to form a clear picture of the war in Sudan. Imagine Libya under Colonel Muammar Khadafy - who first envisioned the creation of an Arab country and played a leading part in consolidating the Arab element - cooperating with and supporting the rebels. I have seen with my own eyes the Mercedes trucks crossing the desert from Libya to Darfur carrying equipment for the rebels. On another level Darfur has increasingly become one of the front lines between networks of international terrorism and the US. The US, through Khadafy, is supporting the rebels of Mini Minawi, while Khartoum has always maintained some kind of relationship with al-Qaida. China, on top of it all, blocks every effort for a resolution at the UN, winning time in order to promote its own interests in the region. Even though we should be careful about making these kinds of generalizations, the war in Sudan is in fact partly the result of a conflict between China and the US.

Elk redelijk normaal geďnformeerd mens kan uitleggen dat er sprake is van strijd om schaarse landbouw- <> weidegrond, schaars tgv overbevolking en -begrazing.

US en China hebben daar niets, maar dan ook niets mee te maken.

Overigens is de situatie in neighbouring Centraal Afrikaanse Republiek dermate ellendig dat CAF-bewoners nu NAAR Darfur vluchten. Newsflash.

En ook de situatie in de buurlanden wordt in dit stuk aangehaald... Ik neem aan dat je over deze twee dingen heengelezen hebt?

Olive Yao
27-06-07, 23:52
Geplaatst door TonH
En ook de situatie in de buurlanden wordt in dit stuk aangehaald... Ik neem aan dat je over deze twee dingen heengelezen hebt?
Ik heb niet over het citaat van de USA en China heengelezen, en toch ben ik het met Mark61 eens: de auteur stelt wel dat Darfur mede door een conflict tussen de USA en China komt, maar motiveert dat m. i. alles behalve overtuigend, gelet op al die andere citaten.

De auteur zal allicht gelijk hebben dat er veel complexiteiten in de situatie zijn, maar dat neemt niet weg dat hijzelf niet aarzelt om hoofdlijnen duidelijk aan te wijzen.

TonH
27-06-07, 23:59
Geplaatst door Olive Yao
Ik heb niet over het citaat van de USA en China heengelezen, en toch ben ik het met Mark61 eens: de auteur stelt wel dat Darfur mede door een conflict tussen de USA en China komt, maar motiveert dat m. i. alles behalve overtuigend, gelet op al die andere citaten.

De auteur zal allicht gelijk hebben dat er veel complexiteiten in de situatie zijn, maar dat neemt niet weg dat hijzelf niet aarzelt om hoofdlijnen duidelijk aan te wijzen.

Nee, maar Mark61 kennelijk wel... :D

Ik zet niet voor niets een vraagteken in mijn titel... Dat doet die journalist ook. Toch vind ik dat jouw samenvatting niet helemaal recht doet aan wat hij, volgens mij wil zeggen, namelijk dat de conflicten niet primair liggen in arabier/zwart of moslim/niet-moslim, maar in een zo groot aantal factoren. Toch wordt in de massamedia alleen die twee punten belicht. En ik neem aan omdat die passen in het "actuele stramien". Alleen kom je met die tunnelvisie geen stap verder en al helemaal niet wanneer Koenders straks zijn 'jongens en meisjes' die kant zou opsturen met dit als rechtvaardiging of contekst.

Olive Yao
28-06-07, 00:08
Geplaatst door TonH
Ik zet niet voor niets een vraagteken in mijn titel... Dat doet die journalist ook.
Had ik wel gezien :)

Toch vind ik dat jouw samenvatting niet helemaal recht doet aan wat hij, volgens mij wil zeggen, namelijk dat de conflicten niet primair liggen in arabier/zwart of moslim/niet-moslim, maar in een zo groot aantal factoren.
Om te benadrukken dat het niet in wezen aan die verdeeldheden ligt heb ik het volgende citaat meegenomen:

But, the real causes of war have always been the political and economical interests that capitalized on and exacerbated these divisions.

(In de passage daaraan vooraf heeft hij het over moslim/niet-moslim).

TonH
28-06-07, 00:19
Geplaatst door Olive Yao
Had ik wel gezien :)

Jou ontgaat kennelijk ook niets.

http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/7830/ego13jp.gif

Om te benadrukken dat het niet in wezen aan die verdeeldheden ligt heb ik het volgende citaat meegenomen:

But, the real causes of war have always been the political and economical interests that capitalized on and exacerbated these divisions.

(In de passage daaraan vooraf heeft hij het over moslim/niet-moslim).

Volgens mij heeft hij het daarvoor over handelsroutes en moslims die andere moslims geen moslims vinden. Maar vooral meteen daarna over de Government en dan zijn we weer bij jou citaat hierboven.

Het is maar hoe je het leest. Maar je bent het er dus mee eens dat de complexiteit veel groter is dan momenteel in de massamedia gepredikt en dat je met dát als legitimering nooit zou kunnen ingrijpen daar?

Olive Yao
28-06-07, 00:39
Geplaatst door TonH
Het is maar hoe je het leest. Maar je bent het er dus mee eens dat de complexiteit veel groter is dan momenteel in de massamedia gepredikt en dat je met dát als legitimering nooit zou kunnen ingrijpen daar?
Ik denk dat de hoofdlijnen die de auteur zelf noemt ruim voldoende legimatie voor ingrijpen zijn:

Essentially it is the methodical destruction of communities who support them.
(...)
there is a systematic pattern of extermination of the African population and transformation of the country into an Arab one.
(...)
the systematic extermination of black Africans.

Niks te "maaren" over complexiteiten.

Maar die zijn wel van belang bij het werken aan een duurzame oplossing.

:slapen:

Olive Yao
28-06-07, 01:19
Geplaatst door TonH

China, on top of it all, blocks every effort for a resolution at the UN, winning time in order to promote its own interests in the region.
Stel dat dit waar is. Wat zegt dat over de manier waarop China zijn economische belangen behartigt?

mark61
28-06-07, 08:55
Geplaatst door TonH

One should consider the complexity of the situation

Nope, maar waar zie jij de rivaliteit US <> China hierboven?

Over CAF gaat het niet, over Tsjaad wel. Maar geloof me maar als ik de echte hoofdoorzaak heb verteld.

Ik heb in geen enkel medium gelezen dat het om moslim <> niet-moslim zou gaan in Darfoer, heb je daar een bron voor?

Er is wel sprake van animositeit Arab <> zwart Afrika, met dien verstande dat de Arabs in kwestie ook zwart zijn, maar zich als Arabier beschouwen. Das in ieder geval een taalverschil, en verder vnl. fantasie.

mark61
28-06-07, 08:58
Ik vind het trouwens sowieso lood om oud ijzer; om humanitaire redenen gaat in Afrika niet ingegrepen worden. Zie Rwanda, Congo.

Spoetnik
28-06-07, 11:47
Geplaatst door mark61
Er is wel sprake van animositeit Arab <> zwart Afrika, met dien verstande dat de Arabs in kwestie ook zwart zijn, maar zich als Arabier beschouwen. Das in ieder geval een taalverschil, en verder vnl. fantasie.

Je moet wel constateren dat in bepaalde kringen juist deze tegenstelling wordt misbruikt omdat het hun vooroordeel jegens Arabieren/Islam bevestigt. Het interesseert mensen in deze kringen niet dat beide zijde zwart en moslim zijn.

mark61
28-06-07, 17:00
Geplaatst door Spoetnik
Je moet wel constateren dat in bepaalde kringen juist deze tegenstelling wordt misbruikt omdat het hun vooroordeel jegens Arabieren/Islam bevestigt. Het interesseert mensen in deze kringen niet dat beide zijde zwart en moslim zijn.

Bepaalde kringen op maroc.nl dan, in de krant heb ik er niets van gezien.

Olive Yao
28-06-07, 17:20
Geplaatst door Spoetnik
Zit wat in, maar lees nou eens wat deze auteur zelf schrijft.

Hij begint met te stellen dat het zo complex is. Vervolgens wijst hij zelf stellig en onomwonden hoofdlijnen aan.

mark61
28-06-07, 17:30
Geplaatst door Olive Yao

Hij begint met te stellen dat het zo complex is. Vervolgens wijst hij zelf stellig en onomwonden hoofdlijnen aan.

Op grond van anecdotische Libische vrachtauto's. Tsjongejonge.

TonH
28-06-07, 23:43
Geplaatst door Olive Yao
Stel dat dit waar is. Wat zegt dat over de manier waarop China zijn economische belangen behartigt?

China en Afrika, da's een heel complex verhaal... Maar van China is bekent dat het écht maar een belang dient en dat is het belang van China. Altijd al geweest en zal altijd wel zo blijven.
Wat dat betreft zijn het net Fransen of Turken.

TonH
28-06-07, 23:44
Geplaatst door mark61
Op grond van anecdotische Libische vrachtauto's. Tsjongejonge.

Krijg de indruk dat je deze meneer voor geen meter geloofd in zijn analyse...

mark61
29-06-07, 09:41
Geplaatst door TonH
Krijg de indruk dat je deze meneer voor geen meter geloofd in zijn analyse...

Ik zie helemaal geen analyse, maar een opeenhoping van feitjes & anecdotes. Het enige dat hij over China zegt is dat het via de VN ingrijpen verhindert. Met Darfoer of 1 van de partijen daar heeft dat niets te maken. Met China <> VS ook niet. De VS beschouwt de Soedanese regering als vriendjes van al Qaeda, China wil olie. Het conflict in Darfoer daarentegen is locaal.

TonH
29-06-07, 09:57
Geplaatst door mark61
Ik zie helemaal geen analyse, maar een opeenhoping van feitjes & anecdotes. Het enige dat hij over China zegt is dat het via de VN ingrijpen verhindert. Met Darfoer of 1 van de partijen daar heeft dat niets te maken. Met China <> VS ook niet. De VS beschouwt de Soedanese regering als vriendjes van al Qaeda, China wil olie. Het conflict in Darfoer daarentegen is locaal.

Wat jij anecdotes noemt lijkt me toch een normaal journalistieke observatie en verslaglegging. De man schijnt lang genoeg in de buurt te hebben geleefd en rondgezworven. Je kunt hem geloven of niet, maar anectotes?

"France brought the United States, China and some 15 other nations together for a major conference in Paris on June 24, aimed at launching a new international drive to end the atrocities in Darfur."

Dat doen die Franzosen niet voor niets, die zien kennelijk ook een wat bovenlocaal iets in dit conflict.

mark61
29-06-07, 10:20
Geplaatst door TonH
Wat jij anecdotes noemt lijkt me toch een normaal journalistieke observatie en verslaglegging. De man schijnt lang genoeg in de buurt te hebben geleefd en rondgezworven. Je kunt hem geloven of niet, maar anectotes?

Daar is ook niks mis mee, maar voor de stelling 'tis eigenlijk de VS vs. China' levert hij geen enkel argument, behalve het besprokene. Mijn hoofdargument noemt hij ook wel, maar in het voorbijgaan. Terwijl dat toch echt de hoofdoorzaak is.

Dat doen die Franzosen niet voor niets, die zien kennelijk ook een wat bovenlocaal iets in dit conflict.

De Fransen willen hun invloed in Afrika niet kwijt. Die zijn ze aan het verliezen. Afgezien daarvan heeft Sarkozy zoveel motieven, moet zichzelf op de kaart zetten etc.

TonH
29-06-07, 10:29
Geplaatst door mark61
Daar is ook niks mis mee, maar voor de stelling 'tis eigenlijk de VS vs. China' levert hij geen enkel argument, behalve het besprokene. Mijn hoofdargument noemt hij ook wel, maar in het voorbijgaan. Terwijl dat toch echt de hoofdoorzaak is.

Kun jij zoeken in The Economist? Bij mij doetie ut momenteel niet. Maar ik meen dat dat China-US-argument daar een tijd geleden ook een keer in stond als belangrijke factor voor de patstellingen. Daar en in meer plekken in Afrika.

De Fransen willen hun invloed in Afrika niet kwijt. Die zijn ze aan het verliezen. Afgezien daarvan heeft Sarkozy zoveel motieven, moet zichzelf op de kaart zetten etc.

Achtertuintje van Parijs...

mark61
29-06-07, 10:32
Geplaatst door TonH
Kun jij zoeken in The Economist? Bij mij doetie ut momenteel niet. Maar ik meen dat dat China-US-argument daar een tijd geleden ook een keer in stond als belangrijke factor voor de patstellingen. Daar en in meer plekken in Afrika.

Voor de patstelling ja, natuurlijk. Niet voor het ontstaan van het conflict.

Achtertuintje van Parijs...

...geweest. Autrefois.

Spoetnik
29-06-07, 12:52
Geplaatst door mark61
Bepaalde kringen op maroc.nl dan, in de krant heb ik er niets van gezien.

Moet je es naar FoxNews kijken. Of dichterbij huis, heeft Leon de Winter hierover nooit geschreven?

mark61
29-06-07, 13:57
Geplaatst door Spoetnik
Moet je es naar FoxNews kijken. Of dichterbij huis, heeft Leon de Winter hierover nooit geschreven?

Noem je ook 2 idioten. Reguliere media moet ik dan zeggen. In de nieuwsvoorziening, niet de columns, pfff

Spoetnik
29-06-07, 14:04
Geplaatst door mark61
Noem je ook 2 idioten. Reguliere media moet ik dan zeggen. In de nieuwsvoorziening, niet de columns, pfff

Ik zei dan ook bepaalde kringen...

Spoetnik
29-06-07, 14:08
Geplaatst door Olive Yao

Ik ging niet in op het artikel, maar op wat Mark61 "fantasie" noemde.

Het zijn de neoconservatieve complottheorie verzinners die dit conflict plaatsen in hun haat voor arabieren en islam. Deze neocons zijn ook niet blij met de toenemende macht van china en rusland - omdat het de superpower status bedreigt die zij denken toe behoort aan amerika... anyways ik dwaal af.

Olive Yao
29-06-07, 19:03
Geplaatst door Spoetnik
Het zijn de neoconservatieve complottheorie verzinners die dit conflict plaatsen in hun haat voor arabieren en islam.
De democide in Darfur is geen projectie van nieuwe conservatieve haat voor arabieren en islam.
De auteur lijkt kennis van zaken te hebben, en zie de hoofdlijnen die hij aanwijst.

Olive Yao
29-06-07, 19:06
Geplaatst door mark61
Voor de patstelling ja, natuurlijk. Niet voor het ontstaan van het conflict.

Precies. Essentieel onderscheid.

Spoetnik
29-06-07, 19:42
Geplaatst door Olive Yao
De democide in Darfur is geen projectie van nieuwe conservatieve haat voor arabieren en islam.
De auteur lijkt kennis van zaken te hebben, en zie de hoofdlijnen die hij aanwijst.

Nogmaals, het artikel interesseert me niet. Noch de genocide in Darfur, als die mensen zonodig moeten vechten dan gaan ze hun gang maar - als de wereld echt conflicten wil aanpakken dan zouden ze kunnen beginnen met het ontmantelen van de wapen industrie. Ik wijs er alleen op dat de neocons het conflict gebruiken om arabieren en islam te demoniseren, terwijl het daar helemaal niet om draait in dit conflict tussen zwarte moslims om graasland.

Olive Yao
29-06-07, 22:19
Geplaatst door Spoetnik
Nogmaals, het artikel interesseert me niet.
(...)
terwijl het daar helemaal niet om draait in dit conflict tussen zwarte moslims om graasland.
Maar het artikel geeft toch ook standpunten over waar het om draait?

mark61
29-06-07, 22:21
Geplaatst door Olive Yao
Maar het artikel geeft toch ook standpunten over waar het om draait?

Het interesseert hem niet. Begrijp dat nou. Alleen als het over nwo samenzweringstheorieën gaat.

TonH
29-06-07, 23:16
Geplaatst door Olive Yao
Precies. Essentieel onderscheid.

Klopt, maar waarom zou je je bezig houden met wat de oorzaak van een conflict is wanneer kennelijk een oplossing in de weg gezeten wordt door een kennelijke strijdt tussen een grootmacht en een bijna grootmacht? Is het dan niet zinvoller om je inspanningen op die twee te richten zodat je de graaslanders eens flink met elkaar met de koppen tegen elkaar kunt slaan zodat ze allemaal hun hok weer in gaan?

BTW: gezellig zo met z'n vieren niet? Ik krijg een beetje een ZS-gevoel... "Waarom wordt er niet gereageerd door..." :vreemd:

Olive Yao
29-06-07, 23:24
Geplaatst door TonH
Klopt, maar waarom zou je je bezig houden met wat de oorzaak van een conflict is wanneer kennelijk een oplossing in de weg gezeten wordt door een kennelijke strijdt tussen een grootmacht en een bijna grootmacht? Is het dan niet zinvoller om je inspanningen op die twee te richten zodat je de graaslanders eens flink met elkaar met de koppen tegen elkaar kunt slaan zodat ze allemaal hun hok weer in gaan?
Hier heb je een sterk punt.

Tenminste, eh ... dus zullen we de USA en China maar even vertellen wat ze moeten doen?

En dan is het nog de vraag wat de wereld kan uitrichten in Darfur.
In Congo zit al jaren een UN-vredesmacht, die tot dusver nog lang niet genoeg bereikt heeft.

Maar, inspirerend artikel en best een goeie discussie dit. Niet, tr_imp?

TonH
29-06-07, 23:33
Geplaatst door Olive Yao

Tenminste, eh ... dus zullen we de USA en China maar even vertellen wat ze moeten doen?

In Congo zit al jaren een UN-vredesmacht, die tot dusver nog lang niet genoeg bereikt heeft.

Nee, maar zonder die twee geen uitspraak van de Veiligheidsraad en zonder die uitspraak ben in principieel tegen militair ingrijpen van buiten af.

Ja, en Congo is inderdaad een voorbeeld van hoe het nou net niet moet. Maar dat is off-topic omdat je dan aan de discussie komt of er uberhaupt iets moet bestaan als een VN-vredesmacht.

mark61
30-06-07, 07:28
Geplaatst door TonH
Klopt, maar waarom zou je je bezig houden met wat de oorzaak van een conflict is wanneer kennelijk een oplossing in de weg gezeten wordt door een kennelijke strijdt tussen een grootmacht en een bijna grootmacht?

Ten eerste liggen alleen China en Soedan dwars; verder niemand.

Ten tweede is soldaten sturen nog nooit een oplossing geweest.

Is het dan niet zinvoller om je inspanningen op die twee te richten zodat je de graaslanders eens flink met elkaar met de koppen tegen elkaar kunt slaan zodat ze allemaal hun hok weer in gaan?

Nee, want das geen oplossing. Er is zo gauw geen oplossing voor overbevolking. Anders dan wholesale uitmoorden natuurlijk.

mark61
30-06-07, 07:32
Geplaatst door Olive Yao

Ja, daar luisteren ze altijd naar.

Congo is een failed state als het begrip ooit iets betekende. Die paar duizend man die niets durven veranderen daar niets aan niets. Met geweld alleen valt er echt niets op te lossen.

Eerlijk gezegd vind ik het artikel helemaal niet inspirerend. Tis warrig en leidt toch niks. TonH's selectieve lezing ervan maakt het niet beter. :hihi:

Niemand is echt geďnteresseerd in Afrika, en waarom zou men ook? Dekolonisatie moest, en sindsdien hebben boeven het voor het zeggen.

mark61
30-06-07, 07:34
Geplaatst door TonH
Ja, en Congo is inderdaad een voorbeeld van hoe het nou net niet moet. Maar dat is off-topic omdat je dan aan de discussie komt of er uberhaupt iets moet bestaan als een VN-vredesmacht.

Dat zou kunnen als onderdeel van een plan. Maar het enige plan bestaat altijd uit militaire hardware. Daar gaat ook 90% van het geld heen. Niemand had een plan voor Irak, Afghanistan of anywhere.

TonH
30-06-07, 23:08
Geplaatst door mark61
Niemand is echt geďnteresseerd in Afrika, en waarom zou men ook? Dekolonisatie moest, en sindsdien hebben boeven het voor het zeggen.

Toch staan de Nederlandse kranten elke dag weer bol van Marokkanen... En Marokko is dus een schurkenstaat... Mooi, da's dan ook weer duidelijk.