PDA

Bekijk Volledige Versie : Voorzitter MEMRI=militair adviseur bezettingsleger

Coolassprov MC
17-11-07, 10:25
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1195036614881&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FPrinter

Maarten
17-11-07, 12:12
Link werkt niet.
Link kopieren/plakken via Eigenschappen, ook niet.
Kortom foute URL.

Aït Ayt
17-11-07, 12:33
Ibrahim Hooper, a director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, stated in the Washington Times that "MEMRI's intent is to find the worst possible quotes from the Muslim world and disseminate them as widely as possible."

Laila Lalami has written that, "There are three general observations that can be made about MEMRI's work. One is that it consistently picks the most violent, hateful rubbish it can find, translates it and distributes it in e-mail newsletters to media and members of Congress in Washington. The second is that MEMRI does not translate comparable articles published in Israel, although the country is not only a part of the Middle East but an active party to some of its most searing conflicts. For instance, when the right-wing Israeli politician Effi Eitam referred to Israel's Palestinian citizens as a "cancer," MEMRI did not pick up this story. The third is that this organization is now the main source of media articles on the region of Islam, a far greater and far more diverse whole than the individual countries it lists."[20]

The media watchdog site mediamatters.org noted that: "MEMRI's translation has been challenged by a number of scholars and experts," (...) Professor Halim Barakat of Georgetown University cited MEMRI's translations of his own articles as an example of such distortion: "Every time I wrote Zionism, MEMRI replaced the word by Jew or Judaism. They want to give the impression that I'm not criticizing Israeli policy, but that what I'm saying is anti-Semitic."

More recently, on his blog for The Guardian, Brian Whitaker wrote that in a translation of a Hamas video showing a Mickey-mouse figure eliciting political comments from a young girl, the MEMRI transcript misrepresents the segment, by attributing a sentence said by the mouse figure ("I'll shoot") to the child, and ignoring the child's statement ("I'm going to draw a picture") [10] Also, where MEMRI translates the girl as saying "We will annihilate the Jews", Whitaker and others, including Arabic speakers used by CNN, insist that based on careful listening to the low quality video clip, the girl is variously interpreted as saying, "The Jews will[are] shoot[ing at] us" or "The Jews are killing us."[30] Whitaker concluded: "The effect of this is to devalue everything Memri translates - good and bad alike. Responsible news organisations can't rely on anything it says without going back and checking its translations against the original Arabic."

wiki