PDA

Bekijk Volledige Versie : Film-tip from way back

Coolassprov MC
27-12-07, 11:20
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0282864/

http://www.promisesproject.org/poster.jpg%20copy

Shot by American-Israeli co-director, B.Z. Goldberg between 1997-2000, Promises is a timely and moving look at the Arab-Israeli conflict from the point of view of seven Israeli and Palestinian children including Arabs, Orthodox Jews and secular Jews. The film, which was nominated for an Academy Award for best documentary, gives truth to the biblical refrain that "a child shall lead them" and provides some hope for a better understanding from the next generation. Indeed, if adults were as open, honest, and giving as these children, there would be no more talk of checkpoints and terrorists and innocent people blown to bits.

Filmed in Israel and the West Bank Occupied Territories, we see an Israel rarely seen on CNN, a country of checkpoints and segregated corridors reinforced by violence.

Goldberg, a secular Jew who grew up in Jerusalem, studied film at New York University and worked as a journalist in Israel. He filmed 170 hours and narrowed it down to 106 minutes. Throughout the film, each child is interviewed separately and most recite the litany of hatred and misunderstanding that they have learned. Moishe, 12, lost his best friend in a Palestinian Intifada, while Faraj, a young Arab, mourns for his closest friend who was killed by an Israeli soldier. "The more Jews we kill, the stronger the Arabs will be", states a Palestinian boy. As the film progresses, a strong desire for peace and reconciliation emerges through the quiet, thoughtful questions posed by Goldberg.

Goldberg astonishingly brings the Israeli twins Yarko and Daniel to spend a day with their Palestinian neighbor Faraj. At first they maintain an aloofness but as the day progresses they forget all about their politics in a few hours of wrestling, playing ball, and eating a delicious meal. The most emotional moment comes when Faraq breaks down and cries because he realizes that when the cameras leave, everything will be the same as before and they will never see each other again. I couldn't see the next few minutes because of all the moisture in my eyes.

In a sad epilogue, the children are shown two years later, somewhat hardened in their attitudes, ready to sacrifice themselves for a futile conflict. Perhaps by now, some of them have blown themselves up in glorious martyrdom or were simply caught in the wrong place at the wrong time when a bomb went off. The most heartbreaking statement comes from one of the children who state, "The life we live doesn't allow us to accomplish our dreams".

Nevertheless, listening to these children, there has to be some reason for optimism. "In war both sides suffer," one of the Israeli twins says. "Maybe there's a winner, but what is a winner?" Perhaps what we need are more people like Yarko, Faraj and Goldberg to show us the way.

Coolassprov MC
27-12-07, 11:22
B.Z. Goldberg: The most meaningful projects in my life have not come from 'ideas.' They are projects that bubbled up and took hold of me, and would not let go — the same with PROMISES. In many ways I think we bit off more than we could chew — two first-time filmmakers take on one of the most intransigent and complicated conflicts in the world, and try and tell its story in a feature-length film with multiple characters, while trying to maintain some kind of balance and historical and political accuracy... but the film just didn't let go of us. Once we started there was a story that had a life of its own and that just had to be told.

In filmmaking, awareness is more important to me than social justice. If I try to make a film where social justice is the guiding principle, I feel I just end up with a propaganda film. But if I can truly cultivate my awareness and curiosity about a subject, I believe that with luck it can lead to powerful storytelling, and sometimes help move things in the direction of social justice almost as a side effect.

Justine Shapiro: My motivation for making a film comes from meeting someone, hearing their story and wanting everyone under the sun to hear their story too. I'm interested in people. Good documentary films reveal what is under the surface of a situation or a person. It is the process of unearthing these complexities that motivates me. Ultimately, I believe that life is all about learning something more about oneself and the world around us...........