PDA

Bekijk Volledige Versie : Saudi woman blasts clerics in TV contest poem

Danablue
24-03-10, 13:39
Saudi woman blasts clerics in TV contest poem
Buzz up!89 votes Send

By BARBARA SURK and HADEEL AL-SHALCHI, Associated Press Writer Barbara Surk And Hadeel Al-shalchi, Associated Press Writer – Mon Mar 22, 3:27 pm ET
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates – It was a startling voice of protest at a startling venue. Covered head-to-toe in black, a Saudi woman lashed out at hard-line Muslim clerics' harsh religious edicts in verse on live TV at a popular Arabic version of "American Idol."

Well, not quite "American Idol": Contestants compete not in singing but in traditional Arabic poetry. Over the past episodes, poets sitting on an elaborate stage before a live audience have recited odes to the beauty of Bedouin life and the glories of their rulers or mourning the gap between rich and poor.

Then last week, Hissa Hilal, only her eyes visible through her black veil, delivered a blistering poem against Muslim preachers "who sit in the position of power" but are "frightening" people with their fatwas, or religious edicts, and "preying like a wolf" on those seeking peace.

Her poem got loud cheers from the audience and won her a place in the competition's finals, to be aired on Wednesday.

It also brought her death threats, posted on several Islamic militant Web sites.

Hilal shrugs off the controversy.

"My poetry has always been provocative," she told The Associated Press in an interview. "It's a way to express myself and give voice to Arab women, silenced by those who have hijacked our culture and our religion."

Her poem was seen as a response to Sheik Abdul-Rahman al-Barrak, a prominent cleric in Saudi Arabia who recently issued a fatwa saying those who call for the mingling of men and women should be considered infidels, punishable by death.

But more broadly, it was seen as addressing any of many hard-line clerics in Saudi Arabia and elsewhere in the region who hold a wide influence through television programs, university positions or Web sites.

"Killing a human being is so easy for them, it is always an option," she told the AP.

Poetry holds a prominent place in Arab culture, and some poets in the Middle East have a fan base akin to those of rock stars.

The program, The Million's Poet, is a chance for poets to show off their original work, airing live weekly on satellite television across the Arab world from Abu Dhabi, capital of the United Arab Emirates. Contestants are graded on voice and style of recitation, but also on their subject matter, said Sultan al-Amimi, one of the three judges on the show and a manager of Abu Dhabi's Poetry Academy.

Hilal's 15-verse poem was in a form known as Nabati, native to nomadic tribes of the Arabian Peninsula. She criticized extremism that she told AP is "creeping into our society" through fatwas.

"I have seen evil in the eyes of fatwas, at a time when the permitted is being twisted into the forbidden," she said in the poem. She called such edicts "a monster that emerged from its hiding place" whenever "the veil is lifted from the face of truth."

She described hard-line clerics as "vicious in voice, barbaric, angry and blind, wearing death as a robe cinched with a belt," in an apparent reference to suicide bombers' explosives belts.

The three judges gave her the highest marks for her performance, praising her for addressing a controversial topic. That, plus voting from the 2,000 people in the audience and text messages from viewers, put her through to the final round.

"Hissa Hilal is a courageous poet," said al-Amimi. "She expressed her opinion against the kind of fatwas that affect people's lives and raised an alarm against these ad hoc fatwas coming from certain scholars who are inciting extremism."

Fatwas are not legally binding and it is up to individual Muslims to follow them. Clerics of all ideological stripes pronounced fatwas on nearly every aspect of people's lives, from how they should deal with members of other religions to what they can watch on television.

Hilal said she had heard about the death threats posted on Islamic extremist Web sites and was concerned, but "not enough to send me into hiding."

What's more on her mind is how sudden fame will change her quiet family life at home in the Saudi capital, Riyadh.

"I worry how I will be perceived after the show is over, when judgment is passed and people begin to talk about my performance and ideas," said Hilal, a mother of four who has published poetry and previously was a poetry editor at the Arab daily Al-Hayat. "I worry the lights of fame will affect my simple and quiet existence."

The Million's Poet was launched in 2006 by the government's Abu Dhabi Authority for Culture and Heritage to encourage poetry.

In this, the fourth season, 48 contestants from 12 Arab countries competed, including several women along with Hilal.

On Wednesday, Hilal will be joined by five other poets in the final round. The winner of the $1.3 million grand prize will be declared a week later on March 31.

Their topics are already known. One of Hilal's rivals will address terrorism. Another woman in the finals, Jaza al-Baqmi, will reflect on the role of women.

Hilal says her poem will tackle the media, but wouldn't elaborate so as not to spoil the surprise.

"My message to those who hear me is love, compassion and peace," Hilal said. "We all have to share a small planet and we need to learn how to live together."

Danablue
24-03-10, 13:50
Million’s Poet Contest – Saudi Housewife Hissa Hilal In Final With Poem On Ad Hoc Fatwas
yessir
Abu Dhabi TV’s Idol-style Million’s Poet show is reaching its grand finale soon, and one of the favorite contestants to win the coveted title of The Million’s Poet is a Saudi housewife called Hissa Hilal (also known as Remia). She is one of the 6 finalists out of a field of 48 competitors to reach the final. And she reached the final with a poem attacking what she called “ad hoc subversive” fatwas.

But what is an example of a “subversive” fatwa? Several newspapers linked her poem to the recent fatwa issued by Saudi cleric Sheikh Abdul-Rahman al Barrak. The Sheikh issued the fatwa on sex segregation in his website last month. In his fatwa, he said that anyone who says that Islam allows mixing of sexes is to be executed because “he is allowing what is not allowed, and therefore he is a kafir who left the religion and should be killed if he does not change his opinion”.

But Hissa Hilal denied that she was referring to the Sheikh: “I don’t know Al-Barak and I don’t know if he is extremist or not. I was talking about the condition of fatwas in the Arab world in general and their increasing popularity with people who are extremists. Media people want to make news that interest the public, but they were unjust to me when they linked my poem to Al-Barak’s fatwa. I have told newspapers over and over again that I am not attacking Al-Barak. It is not my fault that journalists made their own conclusions.”

So why is Hissa Hilal so against extremist fatwas? She explains that these extremist fatwas are “subversive thinking, terrifying thinking, and everyone should stand against it. One should not kill or call for the killing of people only because they do not belong to their system of thought or to their religion”.

But why do Muslims accept such extremist fatwas? Hissa Hilal said that this is due to the clerics’ use of language that is “embedded in the consciousness of ordinary people.” That’s why, even though there are Muslim writers and scholars who disagree and condemn such extremist fatwas, their writings do not cut any ice because they use contemporary modern language in their writings.

Hissa Hilal said: “Most contemporary writers and scholars use a modern language to critique such thinking while Arab imagination is caught in a language that was used 14 centuries ago. People will be more impressed with the one who uses the old language, the language used by pious people in the past. This is the danger of terrorist thinking – to use the religious terms and expressions that are deep-rooted in everyone’s psyche.”

But what made her choose a topic like “ad hoc extremist” fatwas for her competition? Hissa Hilal explains: “When I went to some open GCC countries, I noticed that western people looked at me suspiciously because I was wearing the niqab, but they would not do the same when they see a Sikh wearing the turban. Who is responsible for this suspicious look? Who made it happen? It was this kind of people – extremists – who have given us a bad name. Muslims, instead of being respected, they are a source of fear and suspicion because of these people.”

So what is the poem that she recited that got her death threats? Her poem, translated into English, reads:

“I have seen evil from the eyes of the subversive fatwas in a time when what is lawful is confused with what is not lawful;

When I unveil the truth, a monster appears from his hiding place; barbaric in thinking and action, angry and blind; wearing death as a dress and covering it with a belt [referring to suicide bombing];

He speaks from an official, powerful platform, terrorising people and preying on everyone seeking peace; the voice of courage ran away and the truth is cornered and silent, when self-interest prevented one from speaking the truth.”

Her recital has brought mixed reactions. Many TV viewers praised her for being courageous, but there are also others, in Saudi Arabia and elsewhere, who critisised her for attacking clerics, and for reciting poems in public as a woman. The judges gave her the highest score, 47 out of 50, for her round, praising her for “honestly and powerfully” expressing her opinion.

Hissa Hilal is the first woman to make it to the final of the Million’s Poet show, also known as “The Poet of a Million” show. That’s a great achievement for someone who has been writing poems for the last 18 years.

Of the 6 finalists, 1 will be voted out (Idol-style) and the remaining 5 will get cash prizes. The winner will get the equivalent of $1,362,000, second prize winner will get $ 1,090,000, followed by $ 817,000 for third prize, $545,000 for fourth prize, and $ 272,000 for the fifth prize.

Will Hissa Hilal win the coveted The Million’s Poet title and the $1,362,000 cash money that goes with it? She has to compose a poem on “media” for the final. What will she say through her poem?

Think about it. Hissa Hilal raised some pertinent questions. Why is it that Muslims, instead of being respected, are a source of fear and suspicion in Western countries? Why are Muslim women wearing the niqab viewed with suspicion by people who normally won’t even lift an eyelid when a turban wearing Sikh passes by? Is Hissa Hillal right in saying that the cause of all this is the clerics who issue ad hoc extremist fatwas?