PDA

Bekijk Volledige Versie : US emboldens Israel to kill Americans

Wizdom
14-06-10, 10:52
A recent Israeli attack on a convoy of ships in the Mediterranean Sea is another indication that Israel kills Americans with a sense of immunity from prosecution.

Furkan Dogan, a US citizen who lived in Turkey, was killed on May 31 during an Israeli attack on the Freedom Flotilla that carried humanitarian aid to the Gaza Strip.

The attack on the six-ship convoy killed at least 20 peace activists, including nine Turkish citizens on board the M.V. Mavi Marmara, and injured over 40 others.

Ray McGovern, a former analyst for the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), in an interview with Press TV, reviewed some other incidents in which Israel "deliberately" had killed Americans without being held accountable by Washington afterwards.

"There was no investigation of what happened exactly 43 years ago on June 8, 1967 when the Israeli Air Force and Navy attacked and tried very much to sink the USS Liberty in the international waters," McGovern said.

"Thirty-four US sailors where killed and over 170 others were badly wounded in the attack," he added.

The USS Liberty incident was an attack on a United States Navy technical research ship, USS Liberty, by Israeli fighters and motor torpedo boats, on June 8, 1967, during the Six-Day Arab-Israeli war. The combined air and sea attack killed 34 crew members, wounded 170, and severely damaged the ship. At the time, the ship was in international waters north of the Sinai Peninsula, northwest from the Egyptian city of Arish.

Both Israel and the US government conducted inquiries and issued reports that concluded the attack was a mistake due to Israeli confusion about the identity of the USS Liberty.

Survivors, in addition to some US diplomats and intelligence officials involved in the incident continue to dispute these official findings, saying the Israeli attack on the USS Liberty was not a mistake, and it remains the only major maritime incident in US history not to be investigated by the US Congress.

"And the same thing happened in March 2003, three days before the attack on Iraq by US and British forces. That was no coincidence when an Israeli bulldozer built in Illinois deliberately ran over Rachel Corrie and then backed over her to make sure that her back was broken," the former US senator stated.

Corrie, 23, a student from Washington State was part of an international solidarity coalition in Gaza when she was run over trying to block the American-made bulldozer from destroying a Palestinian home.

McGovern said that the US activist was killed just before the US invasion of Iraq because Israelis knew that the newspaper headlines would be dominated by the attack on Iraq.

"All we need to do is to look back at 1967, when the president of the US said in his many words 'I don't care how many US seamen are killed, I don't care if the ship goes down. I don't want to embarrass my Israeli ally'," he said.