PDA

Bekijk Volledige Versie : Algeria torture: French general Paul Aussaresses dies

Samir75017
04-12-13, 21:53
4 December 2013

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/71519000/jpg/_71519237_71519233.jpg
Gen Aussaresses defended the use of torture in Algeria, saying it was a legitimate way of extracting information

A retired general who defended the use of torture by French forces during Algeria's war of independence has died.

Paul Aussaresses, 95, was the first senior French officer who admitted torturing and killing Algerian prisoners-of-war, in a book he published in 2001 about the conflict.

In 2002 a French court convicted him of defending the use of torture.

He was stripped of his Legion of Honour, one of France's top merit awards, after the book appeared.

Aussaresses never regretted the use of torture. He said "it became legitimate when the situation demanded it".

He also maintained that the government of the day was not only aware of the atrocities, but also approved them.

A member of the National Liberation Front (FLN) who fought in the war, Louisette Ighilahriz, said Aussaresses should have expressed remorse.

"He was honest. He admitted torturing Algerians... But he didn't go all the way. He should have expressed regret," she told the AFP news agency.

Man of war
Born in November 1918 at Saint Paul Cap de Joux in the south of France, Aussaresses enlisted in the French secret services and went on to found the counter-espionage unit.

In 1957 he was approached to establish order in Algeria. He himself described the unit he was heading as a "death squad" that was charged with carrying out night raids, torture and the removal of certain detainees.

After the Algerian war he went to lecture the US special forces at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, in the "techniques of the Battle of Algiers" including the use of torture. Analysts say many of those techniques were used during the Vietnam War.

In 1973, he was sent to Brazil during the military dictatorship as French military attache.

In a statement to the French broadcaster, France 24, the French rights group, Action by Christians for the Abolition of Torture (ACAT) said that "during his career Aussaresses not only practiced torture, but also taught the techniques of torture in clandestine programmes with Latin American dictatorships in the 1970s".

No regrets
The Algerian war of independence of 1954-1962 was a brutal conflict in which both sides are known to have committed atrocities.

But the use of torture came as a shocking revelation to the French.

President Jacques Chirac, who also served in Algeria, was said to have been horrified by Aussaresses's actions.

He called for disciplinary action against the retired general and stripped him of his medal and his military rank.

Under the terms of a post-war amnesty, Aussaresses could not be tried for war crimes, and human rights groups campaigned for prosecution on a charge of being an apologist for war crimes.

Asked if he ever regretted his actions, he said he did not suffer sleepless nights.

"Am I a criminal? An assassin? A monster? No. I'm but a soldier who did his job and who did it for France because the country demanded it," he said.

BBC News - Algeria torture: French general Paul Aussaresses dies (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25214025)

Samir75017
04-12-13, 21:54
R.I.H.

Soldim
05-12-13, 06:31
R.I.H.

Das niet erg Christelijk van je.

Umarvlie
05-12-13, 07:12
R.I.H.

Moet dat niet zijn B.I.H. dan? wat voor je rust ga je daar toch niet naar toe?

H.P.Pas
05-12-13, 13:10
wat voor je rust ga je daar toch niet naar toe?

Nee, voor Samirs rust.

mark61
05-12-13, 13:55
R.I.H.

Daar gingen alle ongelovigen toch al heen. Ik denk niet dat Allah jouw aansporing nodig heeft, noch, dat hij erin geïnteresseerd is.

Dat jij weer es een persoon bespreekt, ipv. je geliefde ideeën, doet niet veel voor je fantastische imago.

mark61
05-12-13, 13:55
Moet dat niet zijn B.I.H. dan? wat voor je rust ga je daar toch niet naar toe?

Bosna i Hersek?

Umarvlie
05-12-13, 14:03
Bosna i Hersek?

Geen idee wat dat betekend maar als RIP Rest In Peace is dan is voor mij BIH Burn In Hell.

RIH Rest In Hell komt mij een beetje vreemd voor.

H.P.Pas
05-12-13, 14:05

Rot...

mark61
05-12-13, 14:43
Geen idee wat dat betekend maar als RIP Rest In Peace is dan is voor mij BIH Burn In Hell.

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m7Y8rQdRA4L3Rwpdn92ng7w.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7a/Bk-map.png

:wijs:

Samir75017
05-12-13, 20:33
Daar gingen alle ongelovigen toch al heen. Ik denk niet dat Allah jouw aansporing nodig heeft, noch, dat hij erin geïnteresseerd is.

Dat jij weer es een persoon bespreekt, ipv. je geliefde ideeën, doet niet veel voor je fantastische imago.

Kill my brothers & sisters and I'll wish you the same, old thing.

Now, fuck off and stop polluting my thread.

Samir75017
05-12-13, 20:44
"It's efficient, torture... The majority of people crack and talk. Then, most of the time, we kill them..." Aussaresses

vitalis
05-12-13, 21:13
"It's efficient, torture... The majority of people crack and talk. Then, most of the time, we kill them..." Aussaresses

In dit geval kan ik met je meevoelen.

Soldim
06-12-13, 07:14

Kijk eens, hij heeft een eigen draad, waar anderen af moeten blijven :hihi:

mark61
06-12-13, 10:01
Kill my brothers & sisters and I'll wish you the same, old thing.

Ik vraag me dan altijd af of zulke types harder branden dan doorsneeongelovigen.

Wat een taal weer. Jij roept toch ook altijd op tot fatsoen enzo.

Loser. Voor jou: louzèr. Eet je draadje.

knuppeltje
06-12-13, 10:13
Ik vraag me dan altijd af of zulke types harder branden dan doorsneeongelovigen.

Sommige fatsoenlijken zijn meer gelijk.

super ick
06-12-13, 10:36

Er zijn diverse van deze figuren langs gekomen op Maroc.nl

Ze spelen de vrome moslim, nemen iedereen de maat en discrimineren er intussen zelf lustig op los. Ze hebben alleen een klein zetje nodig dan valt het politiek correcte mombakkes snel af.