PDA

Bekijk Volledige Versie : Sharon is een schapenfokker.

lennart
05-11-02, 12:51
Tis echt

Sharon, however, likes to convey the impression that he is the most reluctant of politicians, distracted from a career in law and a love of the land by a combination of duty and destiny, and looking forward to returning full-time to his fertile sheep who give birth three times every two years and deliver an average of 1.8 lambs per pregnancy.

The conversation turns to sheep breeds, but, like so many incidental subjects in Jerusalem, the words are heavy with history. He talks of a 5,000-year-old sculpture of a ram’s head which strongly resembles the sheep on his property. “We had the breed only in Israel, Jordan, Iraq and Syria. The only other place I saw the same kind was in Mongolia because the Mongols were in and out of this region for 200 years, and when they went back I believe they took some of them back.”

Verder nog over Iran:

While Sharon regards Iraq as “a very, very dangerous country led by an insane regime” (he then asks an aide in Hebrew if there is a stronger word than “insane"), he considers that Iran is a “centre of world terror”, and that as soon as an Iraq conflict is concluded, he will push for Iran to be at the top of the “to do” list: “Iran makes every effort to possess weapons of mass destruction on the one hand and ballistic missiles. That is a danger to the Middle East, to Israel, and a danger to Europe. They are working now on a ballistic missile (with a range) of 1,300km. They have almost reached this range already. They were talking in the past about 2,500km and even 5,000km. Later when they saw Europe was worried about that — and they needed materials and parts and equipment — they said they weren’t going to develop the 2,500km.”

Over de kolonisten:

Settlements are an issue with which Sharon is strongly identified, and when he talks of them he becomes emotional and passionate. He sidesteps a challenge on whether he still hopes to see one million Jews living on the West Bank — an ambition reportedly expressed to President Carter in 1979 — aware of the explosive implications such a quadrupling of the current number would have internationally: “I don’t remember exactly what I said.”

Of the settlers themselves, regarded by much of the world and a sizeable chunk of the Israeli population as a serious obstacle to hopes of peace or a viable Palestinian state, he is proudly defensive, even fatherly, describing them as “the frontline of our defence against terror.”

Droom ik nu of noemt die ze Palestijnen, en kijk niet alle Palestijnen zijn terroristen:

“You ask me if we are going to hold the sword all our lives. If we have to do it we will do it, but I hope that it won’t be necessary. There are those among the Palestinians who understand that they will not be able to achieve anything by force. Those that are ready to speak peace, I am ready to talk and negotiate with, as a matter of fact I am in contact with them now.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7-469593,00.html