PDA

Bekijk Volledige Versie : Rapport Amnesty International: Israel pleegde oorlogsmisdaden in Jenin en Gaza

rafiq
12-11-02, 11:30
In Jenin refugee camp, an old woman sits besides a pile of stones that was her house before the Israeli incursion. She shows me the identity card of her disabled son, Jamal, who was wheelchair-bound. She tells me that when the Israeli Defence Forces started to demolish her house, the women tried to carry Jamal out, but the walls crumbled and they ran out. Jamal was buried alive under the rubble.

Nearby an elderly man describes how Israeli soldiers asked his son to hand over to his wife the four-month old baby in his arms. He tells me that then they took his son, his neighbour's son and himself to a narrow passage behind the house. They asked them to raise their shirts and then sprayed them with bullets. The old man survived, saved by the body of his son falling on him. He pretended to be dead, until the soldiers moved away and he could crawl to safety.

In the courtyard of Jenin hospital, two ambulances lie, mangled by army tanks. The Medical Director tells me that for ten days Israeli tanks and snipers blocked the entrance to the hospital. For days he was not allowed to retrieve the dead or wounded. On 10 April, when the army finally allowed him to take his ambulance to the refugee camp, it took 11 hours of negotiations to evacuate one seriously wounded person.

Later I pick up the newspaper Ha'aretz. On the front page is the picture of a blood-covered teddy bear. It belonged to a five-year-old Israeli girl who was killed the night before in an attack by Palestinian armed men on an Israeli settlement near Hebron.

The next day I meet an Israeli who speaks proudly of his father who had devoted his life to the cause of Israeli-Palestinian friendship, but was killed in a suicide bombing in a café in Haifa on 31 March 2002. A 25-year old woman at the Sheba Tel Hashomer Rehabilitation Centre tells how, on her first day at work at the Park Hotel on 27 March 2002, a suicide bomb carried by a Palestinian exploded a few yards away from her. She is now paralysed from waist down.

The experiences of these people I met during my visit to Israel and the Occupied Territories last week show: Nothing justifies the targeting of civilians, the destruction of lives and livelihoods, the gross abuses of human rights and humanitarian law, whether in Haifa or Hebron, Jenin or Jerusalem. While the political debate rages about the security of Israel and the liberation of Palestine, the reality is that on both sides ordinary people are paying a heavy price for the escalating violence. Every day children are being maimed, lives are being destroyed with impunity.

Only an impartial approach, based on objective standards of international human rights and humanitarian law will break the cycle of violence in the Middle East. Establishing the facts is the first step towards justice for all victims. This is why I am deeply disappointed that UN initiatives, including establishing what happened in Jenin, appear to have been traded away in the interests of politics.

Amnesty International has called for a comprehensive, independent, international investigation of all abuses of human rights and humanitarian law.

There is credible evidence of serious violations of international humanitarian law and human rights by Israeli forces in Jenin. To allow that to pass uninvestigated is an insult to the victims who deserve justice. There must be an inquiry not only in Jenin, but also in Nablus and Hebron. By the same token the responsibility of the Palestinian Authority and Palestinian armed groups must be determined. Deliberately targeting Israeli civilians violates the fundamental right to life. Those responsible for the suicide bombings, including those who assisted these heinous acts must be held to account and brought to justice.

There are many Palestinians who are angry and want revenge. But there are also Palestinians, including people I met in Jerusalem and Gaza, who condemn the killing of Israeli civilians. There are many Israelis who are afraid for their lives and see a military response as the only solution, but there are also those who think differently. One man, whose teenage daughter, Smadar, had been killed in a suicide bombing in September 1997, said to me: "I could have made my grief a tool for hatred, but I decided to make it a platform for change." Ariel Sharon, Yasser Arafat and George Bush must listen to the calls of the victims, and put respect for human rights and humanitarian law at the centre of political negotiations.

rafiq
12-11-02, 11:35
Al 35 jaar lang bezet Israel in strijd met het internationaal recht en alle betreffende VN-resoluties het land van een ander volk. Elke bezetting is gebaseerd op geweld, op repressie.

Al in oktober 1953 schreef Israels eerste minister van buitenlandse zaken, Moshe Sharett, in zijn dagboek vol afschuw over de bloedbaden die Sharon’s elitetroepen aanrichtten onder de weerloze Palestijnse burgerbevolking.

In 1956 verklaarde de latere Israëlische minister van defensie Moshe Dayan over de verdreven Palestijnen: 'Wie zijn wij om argumenten aan te voeren tegen hun haat? Acht jaar lang nu zitten ze in hun vluchtelingenkampen… en precies onder hun ogen maken we van het land en de dorpen waarin zij en hun voorvaderen hebben geleefd onze woonplaats. We zijn een generatie van kolonisten en zonder de stalen helm en het kanon kunnen we geen boom planten en geen huis bouwen.'

Al in 1937 schreef Israëls eerste premier, David Ben Goerion, in een brief aan Israels eerste minister van buitenlandse zaken Moshe Sharett: 'Was ik een nationalistische Arabier, dan zou ik me zelf nog feller, bitterder en wanhopiger verzetten tegen de immigratie die op een dag Palestina en al zijn Arabische ingezetenen zal uitleveren aan joodse heerschappij.'

jaja
12-11-02, 11:43
Geplaatst door rafiq
Al 35 jaar lang bezet Israel in strijd met het internationaal recht en alle betreffende VN-resoluties het land van een ander volk. Elke bezetting is gebaseerd op geweld, op repressie.

Al in oktober 1953 schreef Israels eerste minister van buitenlandse zaken, Moshe Sharett, in zijn dagboek vol afschuw over de bloedbaden die Sharon’s elitetroepen aanrichtten onder de weerloze Palestijnse burgerbevolking.

In 1956 verklaarde de latere Israëlische minister van defensie Moshe Dayan over de verdreven Palestijnen: 'Wie zijn wij om argumenten aan te voeren tegen hun haat? Acht jaar lang nu zitten ze in hun vluchtelingenkampen… en precies onder hun ogen maken we van het land en de dorpen waarin zij en hun voorvaderen hebben geleefd onze woonplaats. We zijn een generatie van kolonisten en zonder de stalen helm en het kanon kunnen we geen boom planten en geen huis bouwen.'

Al in 1937 schreef Israëls eerste premier, David Ben Goerion, in een brief aan Israels eerste minister van buitenlandse zaken Moshe Sharett: 'Was ik een nationalistische Arabier, dan zou ik me zelf nog feller, bitterder en wanhopiger verzetten tegen de immigratie die op een dag Palestina en al zijn Arabische ingezetenen zal uitleveren aan joodse heerschappij.' persoonlijk vind ik het engelse artikel beter dan jouw nederlandse commentaar. Er worden aan beide kanten oorlogsmisdaden gepleegd. Het zou zo snel mogelijk moeten stoppen. Dat vraagt een mentaliteitsverandering aan beide zijden!

rafiq
12-11-02, 11:52
Beste Jaja,

Natuurlijk heb je gelijk en is het nu meer een stammen strijd . Waarbij de vendetta het belangrijkst is geworden. Het blijkt dat ook de Isrealische leiding( dus de Isrealische staat) een actief repressief regime is en was. Ik verander het woord repressief regime tot staatsterrorisme. Etnisch zuiveren is echt niet van de laatste jaren.

Yasser Arafat is mijn inziens geen haar beter en reken ik tot de groep van Sharon. Zij hebben elkaar nodig om voort te bestaan.

JonaH
12-11-02, 11:53
Geplaatst door rafiq

Al in 1937 schreef Israëls eerste premier, David Ben Goerion, in een brief aan Israels eerste minister van buitenlandse zaken Moshe Sharett: 'Was ik een nationalistische Arabier, dan zou ik me zelf nog feller, bitterder en wanhopiger verzetten tegen de immigratie die op een dag Palestina en al zijn Arabische ingezetenen zal uitleveren aan joodse heerschappij.'

“Israel should have exploited the suppression of the [Tiananmen Square] demonstrations in China, when the world’s attention focused on that country, to carry out mass expulsions among the Arabs of the territories.” —Deputy Foreign Minister Binyamin Netanyahu in 1989, as quoted by Alexander Cockburn in The Nation, Jan. 8-15, 1990.

“If the Jewish people would make an effort…we would not have any problem bringing another million Jews here.”

—Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, AFP item in Saudi Gazette, April 28, 2001.

Volgens mij waren ze wel duidelijk geweest......

Jona

KomMaar
12-11-02, 17:32

youssef_007
12-11-02, 18:24
Geplaatst door jaja
persoonlijk vind ik het engelse artikel beter dan jouw nederlandse commentaar. Er worden aan beide kanten oorlogsmisdaden gepleegd. Het zou zo snel mogelijk moeten stoppen. Dat vraagt een mentaliteitsverandering aan beide zijden!

maar er wordt maar aan een kant bezet en gekoloniseerd