PDA

Bekijk Volledige Versie : Peter Arnett is door NBC weggehaald uit Bagdad vanwege Interview met Iraakse TV

lennart
31-03-03, 14:19
Peter Arnett, Back in the Minefield

By Howard Kurtz
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, March 31, 2003; Page C01

Peter Arnett, who fought off charges of conveying Iraqi propaganda during the first Gulf War, has handed fresh ammunition to those who say he sympathizes with Saddam Hussein's regime.

Arnett, who is in Baghdad covering the war for NBC, MSNBC and National Geographic, granted an interview to state-controlled Iraqi TV. In the interview, which aired yesterday, he pronounced the U.S. effort so far a failure:

"It is clear that within the United States there is growing challenge to President Bush about the conduct of the war and also opposition to the war. So our reports about civilian casualties here, about the resistance of the Iraqi forces . . . help those who oppose the war. . . .

"The first war plan has failed because of Iraqi resistance. Now they are trying to write another war plan."

The correspondent portrayed himself as a minority voice, saying: "Clearly, the American war planners misjudged the determination of the Iraqi forces. And I personally do not understand how that happened, because I've been here many times and in my commentaries on television I would tell the Americans about the determination of the Iraqi forces. . . . But me, and others who felt the same way, were not listened to by the Bush administration."

NBC spokeswoman Allison Gollust said that "Peter Arnett and his crew have risked their lives to bring the American people up-to-date, straightforward information on what is happening in and around Baghdad. His impromptu interview with Iraqi TV was done as a professional courtesy. . . . His remarks were analytical in nature and were not intended to be anything more."

But Rich Lowry, editor of National Review, called the interview "more evidence that Peter Arnett is an agenda-driven reporter" who is "primed to believe the U.S. military is going to fail" and that "people resisting us must have a heroic aspect to them. And he's saying these things on Gestapo-run TV. It's incredible."

Tom Rosenstiel, who runs the Project for Excellence in Journalism, said that given the past criticism of Arnett, "this is even more alarming or damaging for him. . . . Blurring the line between reporter and actor in the drama invites that same confusion and maybe even makes it worse."

Two members of Congress chided Arnett on Fox News. Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-Fla.) said the reporter's remarks -- including praising the Iraqi Information Ministry for "unfailing courtesy and cooperation" -- were "Kafkaesque" and "just crazy. Let's hope that he's being coerced." The ministry has expelled reporters for Fox, CNN and other Western news outlets.

Rep. Brad Sherman (D-Calif.) told the network that Arnett's comments were "absurd."

A White House official said Arnett was "coming from a position of complete ignorance. He's never designed a war plan or implemented a war plan. His judgment is suspect. . . . For him to state that to the Iraqi people is, I'd suspect, a certain level of pandering."

As Arnett noted in the interview, the first Bush administration "got very angry and called me a traitor" when he was a CNN correspondent in Baghdad in 1991. Then-Sen. Alan Simpson apologized for calling Arnett an Iraqi "sympathizer," saying he should have used the word "dupe" or "tool."

During that war, Arnett, whose reporting was censored by Iraqi handlers, interviewed Hussein and took a two-hour guided tour of what Iraq said was an infant-formula factory destroyed by American bombing. U.S. officials said the building was used to make biological weapons, and Marlin Fitzwater, then White House spokesman, accused Arnett of serving as a conduit for Iraqi "disinformation."

Arnett, who won a Pulitzer Prize for his Associated Press reporting in Vietnam, suffered a major embarrassment in 1998 when he narrated a CNN documentary that had to be retracted over charges that U.S. troops had used nerve gas in that war. Arnett protested that he had contributed "not one comma" to the script, but CNN did not renew his contract the next year.

© 2003 The Washington Post Company

En een van de headlines op msnbc.com is dat Peter Arnett weggehaald wordt uit Bagdad vanwege de opmerkingen die hij maakte op de Iraakse televisie.

Puk
31-03-03, 14:23
Mooi zo.

Abdul Karim
31-03-03, 14:27
Hoezo censuur :zegniets:

plexus
31-03-03, 14:30
..ja dit is wederom een duidelijk geval van verraad..en misschien ook spionage..wie weet! :cheefbek:

Abdul Karim
31-03-03, 14:32
Geplaatst door plexus
..misschien ook spionage..wie weet!

Voor de Russen! :fpiraat:

mulan
31-03-03, 14:40
Geplaatst door Puk
Mooi zo.

tuurlijk....was het andersom geweest dan was je waarschijnlijk van de daken aan het schreeuwen hoe ondemocratisch ze te werk gaan

Simon
31-03-03, 14:41
Ach ja, zowel in de UK als in de VS mag je niet hardop zeggen dat de oorlog niet volgens plan verloopt. Dat noemen ze vrijheid. Ze vechten hard om die vrijheid te verdedigen.

Simon

Puk
31-03-03, 14:47
Geplaatst door mulan
tuurlijk....was het andersom geweest dan was je waarschijnlijk van de daken aan het schreeuwen hoe ondemocratisch ze te werk gaan

Nee hoor... dat kan ik me ook heel goed voorstellen.

Vriend
31-03-03, 14:52
Geplaatst door Puk
Nee hoor... dat kan ik me ook heel goed voorstellen.

zo zie je maar weer dat PUK van alle markten thuis is....

jaja
31-03-03, 16:31
Geplaatst door Simon
Ach ja, zowel in de UK als in de VS mag je niet hardop zeggen dat de oorlog niet volgens plan verloopt. Dat noemen ze vrijheid. Ze vechten hard om die vrijheid te verdedigen.

Simon kan aan mij liggen, maar de amerikaanse media berichten volgens mij op dit moment over oorlog tussen de generaals etc etc ... waarmee dus vrij publiekelijk wordt gezegd dat het niet volgens plan loopt. Rumsfeld en de militaire top ontkennen natuurlijk, maar dat wil niet zeggen dat het niet gezegd wordt of dat het verboden is dat te zeggen.

lennart
31-03-03, 16:46
Even een followup op dit verhaal:

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=2478094

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - American television network NBC said on Monday it had severed its relations with veteran reporter Peter Arnett after he told Iraqi television that the U.S. war plan against Saddam Hussein had failed.

"Peter Arnett will no longer be reporting for NBC News and MSNBC," NBC said in a joint statement with National Geographic, for whom the Pulitzer prize-winning reporter was also working.

"I said in that interview essentially what we all know about the war, that there have been delays in implementing policy, there have been surprises," Arnett told NBC's "Today" show.

"But clearly by giving that interview I created a firestorm in the United States and for that I am truly sorry," added Arnett, widely known for his dramatic live reports during the bombing of Baghdad on the opening days of the 1991 Gulf War.

"My stupid misjudgment was to spend fifteen minutes in an impromptu interview with Iraqi television," he said.

"It was wrong for Mr. Arnett to grant an interview with state-controlled Iraqi TV, especially at a time of war and it was wrong for him to discuss his personal observations and opinions," NBC said in a statement.

"His remarks were analytical in nature and were not intended to be anything more," the network said.

In 1998, Arnett was fired from CNN after the Pentagon pressured the news channel over a documentary in which Arnett alleged that U.S. commandos had used sarin gas on American troops who had defected to Laos during the Vietnam war. He disavowed the story after his producers were also fired.

Arnett told the Iraqi television that American war planners had underestimated the determination of Iraqi troops to fight U.S. and British troops and that the Pentagon seemed to be amending its original strategy.

"Now America is reappraising the battlefield, delaying the war, maybe a week and rewriting the war plan," Arnett said in excerpts of the interview aired on U.S. networks. "The first plan has failed because of Iraqi resistance. Now they are trying to write another plan."

He added there was a "growing challenge to President Bush about the conduct of the war and also opposition to the war."

That view echoed similar comments in many U.S. media after the rapid advance of U.S. forces through southern Iraq slowed south of Baghdad amid disruptive attacks on its long supply lines persistent resistance, particularly in the towns.

Arnett's remarks were received with anger by the administration in Washington. One White House source said they were based on "a position of complete ignorance."

Arnett, while apologetic on NBC, said he has granted many interviews in the past and that his remarks were not "out of line with what experts think."

"Maybe some people think I'm insane, but I'm not anti-military," he added. "This is the biggest story of my life."

Asked what the future held for him, Arnett said: "There's a small island, inhabited in the South Pacific that I will try to swim to."

"I'll leave, I'm embarrassed," he said.

De Rode Roos
31-03-03, 16:53
drama

Orakel
31-03-03, 18:41
Geplaatst door Simon

Simon :hihi: :hihi:

De bbc heeft er echter volgens mij minder last van.

NIS1
31-03-03, 19:29
Amerikanen zijn een beetje doorgedraaid! :jeweetog:

lennart
01-04-03, 10:36
Daily Mirror newspaper hires fired journalist Peter Arnett
01.04.2003 [07:53]

LONDON - A British tabloid newspaper said Tuesday it had hired veteran reporter Peter Arnett, who was fired by American TV network NBC after he said the U.S.-led war effort in Iraq had failed.

"Fired by America for telling the truth," said the Daily Mirror in a front page headline, adding it had hired the "legendary war reporter" to carry on telling the truth.

"I am still in shock and awe at being fired," Arnett wrote for the newspaper, which is vehemently opposed to the war. "I report the truth of what is happening here in Baghdad and will not apologize for it."

NBC fired Arnett, who won a Pulitzer Prize reporting in Vietnam for The Associated Press, on March 31, angered that he had given an unauthorized interview with state-run Iraqi TV saying the American-led war effort initially failed because of Iraq's resistance.

The network said it got thousands of e-mails and phone calls protesting his remarks.

plexus
01-04-03, 10:45
Geplaatst door lennart
Daily Mirror newspaper hires fired journalist Peter Arnett
01.04.2003 [07:53]

LONDON - A British tabloid newspaper said Tuesday it had hired veteran reporter Peter Arnett, who was fired by American TV network NBC after he said the U.S.-led war effort in Iraq had failed.

"Fired by America for telling the truth," said the Daily Mirror in a front page headline, adding it had hired the "legendary war reporter" to carry on telling the truth.

"I am still in shock and awe at being fired," Arnett wrote for the newspaper, which is vehemently opposed to the war. "I report the truth of what is happening here in Baghdad and will not apologize for it."

NBC fired Arnett, who won a Pulitzer Prize reporting in Vietnam for The Associated Press, on March 31, angered that he had given an unauthorized interview with state-run Iraqi TV saying the American-led war effort initially failed because of Iraq's resistance.

The network said it got thousands of e-mails and phone calls protesting his remarks.

Daily Mirror??? als je mee leest: "niet doen Peter"

Puk
01-04-03, 10:47
Deze meneer heeft overigens wel spijt betuigd over zijn interview met de Iraakse televisie.

Dat je het weet.

lennart
01-04-03, 10:50
Geplaatst door Puk
Deze meneer heeft overigens wel spijt betuigd over zijn interview met de Iraakse televisie.

Dat je het weet.

Het speet hem dat er zoveel ophef over het interview was.

In feite heeft die niets bijzonders gezegd, het enige bijzondere was dat het voor Iraakse televisie was.

moenna
01-04-03, 11:26
Geplaatst door Puk

Dat je het weet.

"I report the truth of what is happening here in Baghdad and will not apologize for it.", aldus Peter.

En de brutaliteit dat ze voor zo'n soort democratie, duizenden slachtoffers maken...Walgelijk gewoon.

manc
01-04-03, 11:34
Geplaatst door moenna
"I report the truth of what is happening here in Baghdad and will not apologize for it.", aldus Peter.

En de brutaliteit dat ze voor zo'n soort democratie, duizenden slachtoffers maken...Walgelijk gewoon.

Nog altijd liever 'zo'n' soort democratie waar Peter nog leeft, gewoon bij een andere krant kan gaan werken en wij er met zijn allen over kunnen klagen dan het soort regime van Saddam waar wij nu allemaal gillende de plasticshredder in gepropt zouden worden....

moenna
01-04-03, 11:56
Geplaatst door manc
Nog altijd liever 'zo'n' soort democratie waar Peter nog leeft, gewoon bij een andere krant kan gaan werken en wij er met zijn allen over kunnen klagen dan het soort regime van Saddam waar wij nu allemaal gillende de plasticshredder in gepropt zouden worden....

Mee eens. Maar Peter is nu ook "ten dode" opgeschreven. Hij kan nu fluiten naar een fatsoenlijke en gerespecteerde baan, die minstens bij een Pulitzer-onderscheiding past. Zijn carriere zit nu ook in een gehaktmolen...

Daarnaast zal geen enkele journalist meer het in z'n hoofd halen, om kritiek te uiten op de monsterlijke zittende establishment aldaar.

Dat Saddam ook verschrikkelijke (en ergere) repressiemiddelen tegen kritiek hanteert, mag duidelijk zijn.

Maar je gaat me niet vertellen dat zo'n democratie dezelfde is die ze zo ophemelend propageren, en waarbij zo nodig duizenden slachtoffers voor moeten vallen...

Simon
01-04-03, 12:03
Geplaatst door jaja
kan aan mij liggen, maar de amerikaanse media berichten volgens mij op dit moment over oorlog tussen de generaals etc etc ... waarmee dus vrij publiekelijk wordt gezegd dat het niet volgens plan loopt. Rumsfeld en de militaire top ontkennen natuurlijk, maar dat wil niet zeggen dat het niet gezegd wordt of dat het verboden is dat te zeggen.

Als je iemand ontslaat omdat hij zijn mening zegt dan mag je wel opmerken dat die persoon vrijheid van meningsuiting heeft omdat hij niet de gevangenis ingaat maar dat klopt dan feitelijk toch niet. Hij is immers zijn baan kwijt.

NBC is van General Electric. Dat laatste bedrijf maakt motoren voor vliegtuigen en helicopters:
http://www.geae.com/engines/military/index.html

Simon

Simon
01-04-03, 13:31
Op de radio hoor ik net dat Peter Arnett nu werkt voor de Daily Mirror.

Simon