PDA

Bekijk Volledige Versie : Homeland security komt in actie

lennart
07-04-03, 16:26
http://www.oregonlive.com/letters/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/editorial/104859701879330.xml

Citizen's rights trampled by FBI

I was shocked to read that Maher Mofied "Mike" Hawash, a friend who worked for me for many years at Intel Corp., was "detained" by the FBI and the Joint Terrorism Task Force, apparently because of donations he made more than three years ago to what he believed was a completely legitimate charity ("FBI, joint terrorism agents search home in Hillsboro," March 21).

I was equally shocked that The Oregonian chose to omit from its story that Hawash is a longtime U.S. citizen. I think many of your readers would be surprised to learn that our government can detain indefinitely a U.S. citizen, especially one with a wife, three children, a job and deep roots in our community.

"Material witnesses" such as Hawash are being held in maximum-security federal prisons, despite the fact that they are charged with no crime.

http://portland.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=56806&group=webcast

At 6:45am Saturday Apri 5th, Office Scott Sheldon of Homenald Security, Federal Protective Services closed Terry Schrunk Plaza for "Public Safety" reasons. He personally put up Police Tape around the West half of the grassy area of the Plaza. The Portland Peace Encampment was forced to move out of the Plaza and onto the sidewalk.

At 6:45am Saturday April 5th, Office Scott Sheldon of Homeland Security Federal Protective Services closed Terry Schrunk Plaza for "Public Safety" reasons. He personally put up Police Tape around the West half of the Plaza. The "Public Safety" reason he gave was "Damage to the Park." The only "damage" to the park is the grass is a little muddy to the right of the Floral Peace Symbol. The Police tape surrounds areas under the trees that are not in the slightest muddy or damaged. However, other grassy areas in the eastern half of the plaza that are waterlogged, muddy, and slick have not been closed.

The Portland Peace Encampment was forced to move out of the Plaza and onto the sidewalk. No arrests have been made so far.