PDA

Bekijk Volledige Versie : Kind crepeert van pijn in kleren doordrenkt van bloed tijdens gejubel van coalitie

De Rode Roos
09-04-03, 23:33
Amid Allied jubilation, a child lies in agony, clothes soaked in blood

By Robert Fisk in Baghdad
08 April 2003

They lay in lines, the car salesman who'd just lost his eye but whose feet were still dribbling blood, the motorcyclist who was shot by American troops near the Rashid Hotel, the 50-year-old female civil servant, her long dark hair spread over the towel she was lying on, her face, breasts, thighs, arms and feet pock-marked with shrapnel from an American cluster bomb. For the civilians of Baghdad, this is the real, immoral face of war, the direct result of America's clever little "probing missions" into Baghdad.

It looks very neat on television, the American marines on the banks of the Tigris, the oh-so-funny visit to the presidential palace, the videotape of Saddam Hussein's golden loo. But the innocent are bleeding and screaming with pain to bring us our exciting television pictures and to provide Messrs Bush and Blair with their boastful talk of victory. I watched two-and-a-half-year-old Ali Najour lying in agony on the bed, his clothes soaked with blood, a tube through his nose, until a relative walked up to me.

"I want to talk to you," he shouted, his voice rising in fury. "Why do you British want to kill this little boy? Why do you even want to look at him? You did this – you did it!"

The young man seized my arm, shaking it violently. "Are you going to make his mother and father come back? Can you bring them back to life for him? Get out! Get out!" In the yard outside, where the ambulance drivers deposit the dead, a middle-aged Shia woman in black was thumping her fists against her breasts and shrieking at me. "Help me," she cried. "Help me. My son is a martyr and all I want is a banner to cover him. I want a flag, an Iraqi flag, to put over his body. Dear God, help me!"

It's becoming harder to visit these places of pain, grief and anger. The International Committee of the Red Cross yesterday reported civilian victims of America's three-day offensive against Baghdad arriving at the hospitals now by the hundred. Yesterday, the Kindi alone had taken 50 civilian wounded and three dead in the previous 24 hours. Most of the dead – the little boy's family, the family of six torn to pieces by an aerial bomb in front of Ali Abdulrazek, the car salesman, the next-door neighbours of Safa Karim – were simply buried within hours of their being torn to bits.

On television, it looks so clean. On Sunday evening, the BBC showed burning civilian cars, its reporter – "embedded" with US forces – saying that he saw some of their passengers lying dead beside them.

That was all. No pictures of the charred corpses, no close-ups of the shrivelled children. So perhaps I should warn those of what the BBC once called a nervous disposition to go no further. But if they want to know what America and Britain are doing to the innocent of Baghdad, they should read on.

I'll leave out the description of the flies that have been clustering round the wounds in the Kindi emergency rooms, of the blood caked on the sheets, the blood still dripping from the wounds of those I talked to yesterday. All were civilians. All wanted to know why they had to suffer. All – save for the incandescent youth who ordered me to leave the little boy's bed – talked gently and quietly about their pain. No Iraqi government bus took me to the Kindi hospital. No doctor knew I was coming.

Let's start with Mr Abdulrazek. He's the 40-year-old car salesman who was walking yesterday morning through a narrow street in the Shaab district of Baghdad – that's where the two American missiles killed at least 20 civilians more than a week ago – when he heard the jet engines of an aircraft. "I was going to see my family because the phone exchanges have been bombed and I wanted to make sure they were OK," he said. "There was a family, a husband and wife and kids, in front of me.

"Then I heard this terrible noise and there was a light and I knew something had happened to me. I went to try to help the family in front of me but they were all gone, in pieces. Then I realised I couldn't see properly." Over Mr Abdulrazek's left eye is a wad of thick bandages, tied to his face. His doctor, Osama al-Rahimi, tells me that "we did not operate on the eye, we have taken care of his other wounds". Then he leant towards my ear and said softy: "He has lost his eye. There was nothing we could do. It was taken out of his head by the shrapnel." Mr Abdulrazek smiles – of course, he does not know that he will be forever half-blind – and suddenly breaks into near-perfect English, a language he had learnt at high school in Baghdad. "Why did this happen to me?" he asks.

Yes, I know the lines. President Saddam would have killed more Iraqis than us if we hadn't invaded – not a very smart argument in the Kindi hospital – and that we're doing all this for them. Didn't Paul Wolfowitz, the US Deputy Defence Secretary, tell us all a few days ago that he was praying for the American troops and for the Iraqi people? Aren't we coming here to save them – let's not mention their oil – and isn't President Saddam a cruel and brutal man? But amid these people, such words are an obscenity.

Then there was Safa Karim. She is 11 and she is dying. An American bomb fragment struck her in the stomach and she is bleeding internally, writhing on the bed with a massive bandage on her stomach and a tube down her nose and – somehow most terrible of all – a series of four dirty scarves that tie each of her wrists and ankles to the bed. She moans and thrashes on the bed, fighting pain and imprisonment at the same time. A relative said she is too ill to understand her fate. "She has been given 10 bottles of drugs and she has vomited them all up," he said.

The man opens the palms of his hands, the way Arabs do when they want to express impotence. "What can we do?" they always say, but the man was silent. But I'm glad. How, after all, could I ever tell him that Safa Karim must die for 11 September, for George Bush's fantasies and Tony Blair's moral certainty and for Mr Wolfowitz's dreams of "liberation" and for the "democracy", which we are blasting our way through these people's lives to create?

Bron: The Independant (http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/story.jsp?story=395117)

Kimmie
09-04-03, 23:39
Eh..Gejubel van coalitie ? volgens mij is het juist de coalitie die niet jubelt vandaag roos, dat waren anderen...
width=1 height=1

De Rode Roos
09-04-03, 23:50
Geplaatst door Kimmie
Eh..Gejubel van coalitie ? volgens mij is het juist de coalitie die niet jubelt vandaag roos, dat waren anderen...
width=1 height=1

Niet alleen "anderen".

Met zulke beelden weet je niet in hoeverre ze representatief zijn. Wat deze mensen zeggen hoeven ook niet representatief te zijn. Enkele doorgedraaide Irakezen die Bush gaan danken...daar kan ik dus tegenovergestelde opvattingen tegenover plaatsen.

Kimmie
09-04-03, 23:57
Geplaatst door De Rode Roos
Niet alleen "anderen".

Met zulke beelden weet je niet in hoeverre ze representatief zijn. Wat deze mensen zeggen hoeven ook niet representatief te zijn. Enkele doorgedraaide Irakezen die Bush gaan danken...daar kan ik dus tegenovergestelde opvattingen tegenover plaatsen.

Enkele ?

Gewoon vol blijven houden roos, gewoon vol blijven houden.

Dag Sahhaf hahahha

De Rode Roos
10-04-03, 00:00
Geplaatst door Kimmie
Enkele ?

Dag Sahhaf hahahha

OK HEEL VEEL. Alleen kunnen heel veel mensen dat niet meer aan journalisten navertellen. Dat is dus altijd lastig in dit soort gevallen.

Dutchguy
10-04-03, 00:07
OK HEEL VEEL. Alleen kunnen heel veel mensen dat niet meer aan journalisten navertellen. Dat is dus altijd lastig in dit soort gevallen.

Is ook lastig. Natuurlijk zijn er vreselijke dingen gebeurd. Maar je trekt dingen niet in balans door ineens gruwelijke details op het net te plempen. Iedereen die zijn hersenen gebruikt weet dat er veel onschuldigen getroffen zijn. Maar ik heb ook veel mensen op de straat zien dansen. Onmogelijk om nu nog een balans op te maken.

De Rode Roos
10-04-03, 00:10
The images they choose, and choose to ignore

Robert Jensen

It was the picture of the day -- the toppling of a Saddam Hussein statue in Baghdad -- and may end up being the picture of the war, the single image that comes to define the conflict.

The message will be clear: The U.S. liberated the Iraqi people; the US invasion of Iraq was just.

http://english.aljazeera.net/mritems/images/2003/4/9/1_2236_1_6.jpg
The Picture of the War? A definative moment

On Wednesday morning television networks kept cameras trained on the statue near the Palestine Hotel. Iraqis threw ropes over the head and tried to pull it down before attacking the base with a sledgehammer.

Finally a US armored vehicle pulled it down, to the cheers of the crowd.

It was an inspiring moment of celebration at the apparent end of a brutal dictator's reign. But as US Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld has pointed out at other times, no one image tells the whole story.

Questions arise about what is, and isn't, shown.

One obvious question: During live coverage, viewers saw a US soldier drape over the face of Hussein a US flag, which was quickly removed and replaced with an Iraqi flag.

http://english.aljazeera.net/mritems/images/2003/4/9/1_2243_1_6.jpg
Quick turnaround: Occupation or liberation of Iraq.

Commanders know that the displaying the US flag suggests occupation and domination, not liberation. NBC's Tom Brokaw reported that the Arab network Al Jazeera was "making a big deal" out of the incident with the American flag, implying that US television would -- and should -- downplay that part of the scene. Which choice tells the more complete truth?

Another difference between television in the US and elsewhere has been coverage of Iraqi casualties.

Despite constant discussion of "precision bombing," the US invasion has produced so many dead and wounded that Iraqi hospitals stopped trying to count.

Red Cross officials have labeled the level of casualties "incredible," describing "dozens of totally dismembered dead bodies of women and children" delivered by truck to hospitals.

Cluster bombs, one of the most indiscriminate weapons in the modern arsenal, have been used by U.S. and U.K. forces, with the British defense minister explaining that mothers of Iraqi children killed would one day thank Britain for their use.

US viewers see little of these consequences of war, which are common on television around the world and widely available to anyone with Internet access.

Why does US television have a different standard? CNN's Aaron Brown said the decisions are not based on politics. He acknowledged that such images accurately show the violence of war, but defended decisions to not air them; it's a matter of "taste," he said.

Again, which choice tells the more complete truth?

Finally, just as important as decisions about what images to use are questions about what facts and analysis -- for which there may be no dramatic pictures available -- to broadcast to help people understand the pictures.

The presence of U.S. troops in the streets of Baghdad means the end of the shooting war is near, for which virtually everyone in Iraq will
be grateful.

It also means the end of a dozen years of harsh US-led economic sanctions that have impoverished the majority of Iraqis and killed as many as a half million children, according to UN studies, another reason for Iraqi celebration.

And no doubt the vast majority of Iraqis are glad to be rid of Hussein, even if they remember that it was US support for Hussein throughout the 1980s that allowed his regime to consolidate power despite a disastrous invasion of Iran.

But that does not mean all Iraqis will be happy about the ongoing presence of US troops. Perhaps they are aware of how little the US government has cared about democracy or the welfare of Iraqis in the past.

Perhaps they watch Afghanistan and see how quickly US policymakers abandoned the commitment to "not walk away" from the suffering of the Afghan people.

Perhaps we should be cautious about what we infer from the pictures of celebration that we are seeing; joy over the removal of Hussein does not mean joy over an American occupation.

There is no simple way to get dramatic video of these complex political realities. But they remain realities, whether or not US viewers find a full discussion of them on television. --- Al Jazeera

Robert Jensen is a journalism professor at the University of Texas at Austin and author of "Writing Dissent: Taking Radical Ideas from the Margins to the Mainstream."

De Rode Roos
10-04-03, 00:28
Geplaatst door Kimmie
Enkele ?

Dag Sahhaf hahahha

Oh ik had je verkeerd begrepen. Je bedoelde het aantal mensen dat stond te juichen. Ik vond dat tegenvallen eerlijk gezegd. Plein was zeer groot. Als je weet hoeveel mensen er in Bagdad wonen....er zitten meer mensen in 1 ziekenhuis dan op dat plein het beeld van Saddam naar beneden te halen. Ik vond alleen de beelden van Arbil indrukwekkend, maar dat was ook wel te verwachten (Koerden). Toen ik de beelden zag van Bagdad met veel plunderende mensen dacht ik: ging het nou om "vrijheid" of welvaart? Als Irak onder Saddam rijk zou zijn geweest: zou er dan zulke toestanden zijn geweest? Het was dus niet hoofdzakelijk politiek, maar vooral sociaal-economisch denk ik. Een soort mini-opstand van de zwakkere groepen.

Ik denk dat het tijdperk Saddam aan zijn einde is, maar ik heb het gevoel dat veel mensen te vroeg aan het juichen zijn...want de oorlog is niet voorbij. Maar ik hoop zsm van wel natuurlijk. :)

Dutchguy
10-04-03, 00:51
Toen ik de beelden zag van Bagdad met veel plunderende mensen dacht ik: ging het nou om "vrijheid" of welvaart? Als Irak onder Saddam rijk zou zijn geweest: zou er dan zulke toestanden zijn geweest? Het was dus niet hoofdzakelijk politiek, maar vooral sociaal-economisch denk ik. Een soort mini-opstand van de zwakkere groepen.

Heb je die beelden gezien van die oudere man die helemaal wild werd en met een schoen op een portret van Saddam insloeg? Ondertussen Saddam vervloekend voor het kapot maken van de jeugd en het Iraakse volk? Een ander deed alsof hij er tegenaan urineerde, er werd ook op gespuugd en tegenaan getrapt door weer anderen. En als die tijd bleef die man maar op dat portret beuken.

Natuurlijk willen mensen een slaatje slaan uit de situatie, maar ik zie hier ook een soort wraak bij. Terugpakken wat je al die tijd ontzegd is. De vreugde die ik zag was erg intens en de kwaadheid ook. Ik hoop alleen dat er geen bijltjesdag gaat volgen want nu de geest uit de fles is kan er van alles gebeuren.

sil
10-04-03, 01:26
Geplaatst door Dutchguy
Heb je die beelden gezien van die oudere man die helemaal wild werd en met een schoen op een portret van Saddam insloeg? Ondertussen Saddam vervloekend voor het kapot maken van de jeugd en het Iraakse volk? Een ander deed alsof hij er tegenaan urineerde, er werd ook op gespuugd en tegenaan getrapt door weer anderen. En als die tijd bleef die man maar op dat portret beuken.

Natuurlijk willen mensen een slaatje slaan uit de situatie, maar ik zie hier ook een soort wraak bij. Terugpakken wat je al die tijd ontzegd is. De vreugde die ik zag was erg intens en de kwaadheid ook. Ik hoop alleen dat er geen bijltjesdag gaat volgen want nu de geest uit de fles is kan er van alles gebeuren.

m.i. ook anders ga je er niet met een vaas plastic bloemen vandoor.
Sadam had alles van hem e.v.a gepakt van veel zelfs hun leven,en nu konden ze in het paleis van sadam eens iets terugpakken.
maar er zijn en blijven zwartkijkers,die de vreugde niet willen zien.
wat de bijltjesdag betreft zie ik het wel een beetje somber in,er zijn mensen die van vreugde en kwaadheid om de gesneuvelde niet meer weten wat ze doen
.Na de 2e wereldoorlog had je ook veel mensen die hun naaste verloren waren,en die zijn nog kwaad op de duitsers,dus zullen er ook veel irakies zijn die boos zijn op de amerikanen,omdat zij zij een geliefde verloren zijn

mulan
10-04-03, 07:56
Al die dode mensen zijn niet meer van belang.......niet eens 100 mensen op een plein zorgt hier wel voor,tragisch.
In het bevrijde 'Nasiriya' waren de meeste mensen de eerste dag ook blij.....logisch.......gelukkig zijn er daarentegen nog journalisten die hun werk doen en kijken wat er gebeurt na die eerste dag.Toen kreeg je toch een andere visie...'een krijgsgevange die was neergeschoten door de voorvechters van de conventie van Geneve(de VS :gniffel: ),mensen die kwaad waren over het machtsvertoon van de Amerikanen,er was op een gegeven moment weinig verzet en toch zette de Amerikanen de burgerbevolking gigantisch op het spel door met zwaar geschut aan te komen zetten'.....alleen al in Nasiriya zijn honderden mensen omgekomen....maar dat telt niet...ze zijn tenminste BEVRIJD...wat de Amerikanen dan fout gedaan hebben telt niet meer,soldaten die zich misdragen hebben bestaan niet meer....nee.....NEWS FLASH....heel Baghdad kan op straat komen en het rechtvaardigt zo'n oorlog niet.....aangezien deze oorlog begon om massavernietigingswapens en de 'bedreiging' die hij vormde voor zijn buurlanden....mensen schijnen deze onzin te vergeten als ze een Irakees blij op straat zien.
Zagen we dit ook niet in Kabul...?....en hoe goed gaat het daar nu....?

Simon
10-04-03, 08:11
Geplaatst door mulan
....alleen al in Nasiriya zijn honderden mensen omgekomen....maar dat telt niet...ze zijn tenminste BEVRIJD...wat de Amerikanen dan fout gedaan hebben telt niet meer,soldaten die zich misdragen hebben bestaan niet meer...

Natuurlijk bestaan die wel. Maar die soldaten maken ook veel fouten omdat ze in doodsangst verkeren, vaak zeer jong zijn en te horen krijgen van hun commanders dat gewone burgers zich opblazen in de buurt van de soldaten. Daar wordt je wel 'trigger happy' van. En iedere oorlog blijft gruwelijk.

Zonder grof geweld was je uiteraard nooit van Saddam Hoessein afgekomen. Dat is nu eenmaal zo. Ik vind de uitkomst gunstig voor het Iraakse volk. Dat wil niet zeggen dat ik de amerikanen voor 100% steun. Ik weet welke ideologie achter deze strijd zit en het is niet mijn ideologie. Maar veel partijen hebben boter op hun hoofd: neem nu zo'n Mubarak die nu roept dat Irak voor de Irakezen moet zijn. Als die man dat zou menen zou hij in Egypte het goede voorbeeld kunnen geven, de democratie kunnen invoeren en de tienduizenden moslims die zonder proces achter de tralies zitten in Egypte kunnen vrijlaten.

Simon

Joesoef
10-04-03, 08:13
Benieuwd wat er gaat gebeuren met Irak. Na het ontstaan van de grote leegheid door het wegvallen van het regime zullen er mensen opduiken die er hun voordeel uit willen slaan. Kijk naar het oostblok en Afganistan. "krijgsheren" die het voor het zeggen hebben en "belasting" inen en een overheid die schitterd door afwezigheid. Saddam moest weg dat is duidelijk, alleen de manier waarop is typisch westerse arrogantie. Kijk naar Roemeniλ daar greep het volk de macht. Zonder fundament kan je niet bouwen.

Mark
10-04-03, 08:25
Het jubelen van deze groep mensen roept bij mij verschillende gevoelens op. Op het eerste gezicht ben je natuurlijk blij dat deze mensen zich bevrijd voelen en nu van Sadam af zijn.

Aan de andere kant kun je je afvragen of deze mensen niet gewoon 30 jaar hebben geleerd om te jubelen voor wie er de baas is, en dat zijn nu de amerikanen. 2 weken terug liepen ze net zo fanatiek voor Sadam te juichen.

De komende weken en maanden gaan pas echt aantonen of de vreugde terecht is en of de Amerikanen hun woorden in daden kunnen omzetten. Anders kan de kater van dit feest nog groot zijn.

Ik hoop dat dit leidt tot een echte democratie in Irak, waarbij een vrije keuze geld, ook als dit leidt tot een regering die niet 100% amerikagezind is. Als dit een democratische kettingreactie kan verorozaken in het middenoosten dan geloof ik dat er niemand op dit prikbord is die daar niet blij mee zal zijn. Maar wel een democratie zoals de Iraki's het willen.

Het zou toch mooi zijn als de mensen uit deze regio in vrede eindelijk eens de vruchten zouden kunnen plukken van de welvaart die er onder hun voeten ligt en structureel hun land kunnen opbouwen tot de rijkdom die ze ooit hadden.

mulan
10-04-03, 08:27
Simon,

Ja......maar dat rechtvaardigt een preventive oorlog niet.Deze ontwikkeling die Amerika gestart is,is een stuk gevaarlijker dan wat we nu op kort termijn zien.Mubarak....die vergelijking tussen hem en Amerika zegt al genoeg Simon...wie neemt Mubarak nu serieus,wat heeft hij nu te betekenen......Amerika daarentegen heeft zoveel macht.Ik denk dat dit toch echt een belangrijk verschil is.

Op dezelfde basis waar de VS deze oorlog voor is begonnen kan welk ander land hem ook beginnen......stel je voor een Arabisch land dat vijandig staat tegenover Israel.

Israel schendt de vn-resoluties
Israel bezet een land....laten we zeggen Irak/Koeweit maar dan voor 40 jaar. Dit is uiteraard erg eenzijdig hoe ik het hier omschrijf maar dat is Amerika's visie op Irak ook.
Nu moet er een land zijn die via de VN zegt dat er ingegrepen moet worden .......NEE zegt de VS en Israel..ben je helemaal gek.
GEEN STEUN..........nou dan ga ik met een aantal bondgenoten zelf de klus klaren. Palestijnen worden bevrijd van de bezetting....zijn blij en juigen..op tv overal zie je ze.....rechtvaardigt dit een oorlog????

Amerika heeft iets gedaan waar de gevolgen op lang termijn pas bekend van zullen worden.Gekke als die Noord-Koreaan heeft het al over preventieve aanvallen....hebben ze zeker afgegeken van de master himself..BUSH.

Simon
10-04-03, 08:30
Geplaatst door Joesoef
Saddam moest weg dat is duidelijk, alleen de manier waarop is typisch westerse arrogantie. Kijk naar Roemeniλ daar greep het volk de macht. Zonder fundament kan je niet bouwen.

Tja en het is arabische arrogantie om alles wat uit de VS komt af te kraken. Immers, zonder het westen was dat regime nooit ten val gekomen. Veel zal afhangen van de opstelling van de VS het komende jaar. Toch heb ik het idee dat het leven voor de gemiddelde Irakees beter kan worden.

Verder heeft Bush zich na de ontmoeting met Blair zeer duidelijk uitgesproken voor een grote inspanning van zijn kant om het Midden Oosten conflict op te lossen. Dat is veelbelovend en ik hoop dat men daarin wat minder soft jegens Israel zal optreden.

Het meest ongerust ben ik echter over de Wolfowitz doctrine die deze oorlog maakt tot slechts de eerste stap in een reeks. Ik weet echter niet in hoeverre die doctrine nu uitgangspunt is van het beleid van de VS.

Simon

Mark
10-04-03, 08:36
De achtergronden van de Wolfovitz-doctrine zijn gevaarlijk en voor niet-amerikanen ook erg bedreigend.

Aan de andere kant realiseert de VS misschien voor het eerst dat geopolitieke machtsspelletjes niet zomaar over de rug van de locale bevolking moet worden gespeeld. Voor het eerst krijgt de VS de rekening gepresenteerd van het installeren van locale pro-USA dictators. Misschien hebben ze nu door dat mensenrechten en vrijheid ook onder dictator/bondgenoten moeten gelden.

Als de VS de democratie en vrijheid ECHT invoeren, ook onder rechtse bondgenoten dan zal dit de wereldopinie een stuk verbeteren ten gunste van de VS en de VS-haat een stuk doen afnemen.

Wat dat betreft hoop ik dat ze die kant opgaan. Alleen de conservatiefchristelijke achtergrond van het hele verhaal van Bush zit mij erg dwars.

Eigenlijk heeft Bin Laden toch iets opgelevert. Misschien dat er in de toekomst wat beter wordt omgegaan met de bevolking van andere landen omdat het anders kan leiden tot wanhoopsacties die de VS zelf treffen.

De Rode Roos
10-04-03, 20:03
Robert Fisk is jullie al voor...:)

Robert Fisk: A day that began with shellfire ended with a once-oppressed people walking like giants
10 April 2003

The Americans "liberated" Baghdad yesterday, destroyed the centre of Saddam Hussein's quarter-century of brutal dictatorial power but brought behind them an army of looters who unleashed upon the ancient city a reign of pillage and anarchy. It was a day that began with shellfire and air strikes and blood-bloated hospitals and ended with the ritual destruction of the dictator's statues. The mobs shrieked their delight. Men who, for 25 years, had grovellingly obeyed Saddam's most humble secret policeman turned into giants, bellowing their hatred of the Iraqi leader as his vast and monstrous statues thundered to the ground.

"It is the beginning of our new freedom," an Iraqi shopkeeper shouted at me. Then he paused, and asked: "What do the Americans want from us now?' The great Lebanese poet Kalil Gibran once wrote that he pitied the nation that welcomed its tyrants with trumpetings and dismissed them with hootings of derision. And the people of Baghdad performed this same deadly ritual yesterday, forgetting that they – or their parents – had behaved in identical fashion when the Arab Socialist Baath Party destroyed the previous dictatorship of Iraq's generals and princes. Forgetting, too, that the "liberators" were a new and alien and all-powerful occupying force with neither culture nor language nor race nor religion to unite them with Iraq.

As tens of thousands of Shia Muslim poor from the vast slums of Saddam City poured into the centre of Baghdad to smash their way into shops, offices and government ministries – an epic version of the same orgy of theft and mass destruction that the British did so little to prevent in Basra – US Marines watched from only a few hundred yards away as looters made off with cars, rugs, hoards of money, computers, desks, sofas, even door-frames.

In Al-Fardus (Paradise) Square, US Marines helped a crowd of youths pull down the gaunt and massive statue of Saddam by roping it to an armoured personnel carrier. It toppled menacingly forward from its plinth to hang lengthways above the ground, right arm still raised in fraternal greetings to the Iraqi people.

It was a symbolic moment in more ways than one. I stood behind the first man to seize a hatchet and smash at the imposing grey marble plinth. But within seconds, the marble had fallen away to reveal a foundation of cheap bricks and badly cracked cement. That's what the Americans always guessed Saddam's regime was made of, although they did their best – in the late Seventies and early Eighties – to arm him and service his economy and offer him political support, to turn him into the very dictator he became.

In one sense, therefore, America – occupying the capital of an Arab nation for the first time in its history – was helping to destroy what it had spent so much time and money creating. Saddam was "our" man and yesterday, metaphorically at least, we annihilated him. Hence the importance of all those statue- bashing mobs, of all that looting and theft.

But of the real and somewhat less imposing Saddam, there was no trace.

Neither he nor his sons, Uday and Qusay, could be found. Had they fled north to their homeland fortress of Tikrit? Or has he – the most popular rumour this – taken refuge in the Russian embassy in Baghdad. Were they hiding out in the cobweb of underground tunnels and bunkers beneath the presidential palaces? True, their rule was effectively over. The torture chambers and the prisons should now be turned into memorials, the true story of Iraq's use of gas warfare revealed at last. But history suggests otherwise. Prisons usually pass over to new management, torture cells too, and who would want the world to know how easy it is to make weapons of mass destruction.

There will be mass graves that will have to be opened – though in the Middle East, these disinterments are usually performed in order to allow more blood to be poured onto the graves.

Not that the nightmare is entirely over. For though the Americans will mark yesterday as their first day of occupation – they, of course, will call it liberation – vast areas of Baghdad remained outside the control of the United States last night. And at dusk, just before darkness curled over the land, I crossed through the American lines, back to the little bit of Saddam's regime that remained intact within the vast, flat city of Baghdad. Down grey, carless streets, I drove to the great bridges over the Tigris which the Americans had still not crossed from the west. And there, on the corner of Bab al-Moazzam Street, were a small group of mujahedin fighters, firing Kalashnikov rifles at the American tanks on the other side of the waterway. It was brave and utterly pathetic and painfully instructive.

For the men turned out to be Arabs from Algeria, Morocco, Syria, Jordan, Palestine. Not an Iraqi was among them. The Baathist militiamen, the Republican Guard, the greasy Iraqi intelligence men, the so-called Saddam Fedayeen had all left their posts and crept home. Only the foreign Arabs, like the Frenchmen of the Nazi Charlemagne Division in 1945 Berlin, fought on. At the end, many Iraqis had shunned these men and a group of them had turned up to sit outside the lobby of the Palestine Hotel, pleading to journalists for help in returning home.

"We left our wives and children and came here to die for these people and then they told us to go," one of them said. But at the end of the Bab al-Moazzam Bridge they fought on last night and when I left them I could hear the American jets flying in from the west. Hurtling back through those empty streets, I could hear, too, the American tank fire as it smashed into their building.

But tanks come in two forms: the dangerous, deadly kind and the "liberating" kind from which smart young soldiers with tanned faces look down with smiles at Iraqis who are obliging enough to wave at them, tanks with cute names stencilled on their gun barrels, names like "Kitten Rescue" and "Nightmare Witness" (this with a human skull painted underneath) and "Pearl". And there has to be a first soldier – of the occupying or liberating kind – who stands at the very front of the first column of every vast and powerful army.

So I walked up to Corporal David Breeze of the 3rd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment, from Michigan. He hadn't spoken to his parents for two months so I called his mother on my satellite phone and from the other side of the world, Mrs Breeze came on the line and I handed the phone to her son.

And so this is what the very first soldier to enter the centre of Baghdad told his family yesterday evening. "Hi you guys. I'm in Baghdad.

"I'm ringing to say 'Hi! I love you. I'm doing fine. I love you guys. The war will be over in a few days. I'll see you all soon.''

Yes, they all say the war will be over soon. There will be a homecoming no doubt for Corporal Breeze and I suppose I admired his innocence despite the deadly realities that await America in this dangerous, cruel land. For even as the marine tanks thrashed and ground down the highway, there were men and women who saw them and stood, the women scarved, the men observing the soldiers with the most acute attention, who spoke of their fear for the future, who talked of how Iraq could never be ruled by foreigners.

"You'll see the celebrations and we will be happy Saddam has gone," one of them said to me. "But we will then want to rid ourselves of the Americans and we will want to keep our oil and there will be resistance and then they will call us "terrorists". Nor did the Americans look happy "liberators". They pointed their rifles at the pavements and screamed at motorists to stop – one who did not, an old man in an old car, was shot in the head in front of two French journalists.

Of course, the Americans knew they would get a good press by "liberating" the foreign journalists at the Palestine Hotel. They lay in the long grass of the nearest square and pretended to aim their rifles at the rooftops as cameras hissed at them, and they flew a huge American flag from one of their tanks and grinned at the journalists, not one of whom reminded them that just 24 hours earlier, their army had killed two Western journalists with tank fire in that same hotel and then lied about it.

But it was the looters who marked the day as something sinister rather than joyful. In Saddam City, they had welcomed the Americans with "V" signs and cries of "Up America" and the usual trumpetings, but then they had set off downtown for a more important appointment. At the Ministry of Economy, they stole the entire records of Iraq's exports and imports on computer discs, with desk-top computers, with armchairs and fridges and paintings. When I tried to enter the building, the looters swore at me. A French reporter had his money and camera seized by the mob.

At the Olympic sports offices, run by Uday Hussein, they did the same, one old man staggering from the building with a massive portrait of Saddam which he proceeded to attack with his fists, another tottering out of the building bearing a vast ornamental Chinese pot.

True, these were regime targets. But many of the crowds went for shops, smashing their way into furniture stores and professional offices. They came with trucks and pick-ups and trailers pulled by scruffy, underfed donkeys to carry their loot away. I saw a boy making off with an X-ray machine, a woman with a dentist's chair.

At the Ministry of Oil, the minister's black Mercedes limousine was discovered by the looters. Unable to find the keys, they tore the car apart, ripping off its doors, tyres and seats, leaving just the carcass and chassis in front of the huge front entrance.

At the Palestine Hotel, they smashed Saddam's portrait on the lobby floor and set light to the hoarding of the same wretched man over the front door. They cried "Allahuakbar" meaning God is Greater. And there was a message there, too, for the watching Marines if they had understood it.

And so last night, as the explosion of tank shells still crashed over the city, Baghdad lay at the feet of a new master. They have come and gone in the city's history, Abbasids and Ummayads and Mongols and Turks and British and now the Americans. The United States embassy reopened yesterday and soon, no doubt, when the Iraqis have learned to whom they must now be obedient friends, President Bush will come here and there will be new "friends" of America to open a new relationship with the world, new economic fortunes for those who "liberated" them, and – equally no doubt – relations with Israel and a real Israeli embassy in Baghdad.

But winning a war is one thing. Succeeding in the ideological and economic project that lies behind this whole war is quite another. The "real" story for America's mastery over the Arab world starts now.

Bron: The Independant (http://argument.independent.co.uk/commentators/story.jsp?story=395707)