PDA

Bekijk Volledige Versie : Is de VS aansprakelijk voor plunderingen in Irak?

NIS1
18-04-03, 10:51
Na de val van het regime sloegen mensen op het plunderen van musea, winkels, hotels etc.

VS heeft de FBI ingezet om geplunderde cultuurschatten te zoeken. Veel van deze schatten belanden in het westen. Uit woede over de plundering is de belangrijkste cultureel adviseur van president Bush, Martin Sullivan, afgetreden. Hij noemde het leegroven van het museum een 'tragedie' en het gevolg van een lakse houding van zijn land.

Er gaat zoveel fout op dit moment in Irak. Mensen nemen het heft in eigen handen. Wat vinden jullie? Is de VS aansprakelijk?

plexus
18-04-03, 11:10
..het is al vaker gezegd...maar ik doe het toch weer....belangrijkste olievelden waren al na een paar dagen beschermd...

Rood
18-04-03, 15:34
Wie kapot maakt, moet betalen. Alleen is het in dit geval niet zo, want de Irakezen betalen het allemaal uiteindelijk zelf via de oliebronnen die de Amerikanen gaan gebruiken. En dat weten ze zelf ook, vandaar dat ze de Amerikanen weg willen hebben. De enigen die dat niet willen zijn de Koerden in het Noorden.

LebabmeS
18-04-03, 19:53
TUURLIJK NIET.... ALS JIJ EEN FIETS JAT KRIJGT JE BUURMAN TOCH OOK NIET DE SCHULD... DE IRAKEZEN DOEN HET ZELF DUS HUN PROBLEEM.. MAAR AMERIKA HAD ER WEL WAT AAN KUNNEN DOEN... DUS FIFTY FIGFTY I THINK..

Donna
18-04-03, 22:06
Natuurlijk is de VS mede-verantwoordelijk. Wat blijkt uit deze hele vreselijke toestand is dat de Amerikanen 0,0 plan hadden voor het geval ze de oorlog zouden winnen (wat ze 100% zeker wisten). En inderdaad, de oliebronnen waren binnen 3 minuten beveiligd.

Ze zijn nu zeer overhaast een interimregering aan het samenstellen, want daar was ook nog geen plan voor.

Het geeft wat inzicht in het simplisme van de regering Bush. Het is ergens heel logisch dat die plunderingen plaatsvonden namelijk. Wat denk je dat er in Amsterdam gebeurt als de politiemacht in een klap weggevaagd wordt en er 0,0 gezag meer is? Of in New York? Stel nou dat door een bizar toeval alle politie agenten van Los Angeles allemaal tegelijk een auto ongeluk krijgen en de orde niet meer kunnen handhaven, zou Bush het dan ook gewoon op z'n beloop laten? Met zo'n houding van: ach, de kat is van huis, de mensen dansen en feesten wat, en vallen elkaar huilend in de armen.... maak je niet druk joh.......

Nee, dan stuurt hij meteen het leger erop af. Maar deze situatie heeft de VS totaal verrast. Dat is ook logisch, want het was de Amerikanen bij deze aanval helemaal niet om het volk of de maatschappij van Irak te doen, dat is een leeg argument dat ze er pas op het allerlaatste moment bij hebben gesleept, niet om de aanval te rechtvaardigen, maar om dan tegen de tegenstanders van zo'n aanval te kunnen zeggen: 'Jullie gunnen de Irakezen hun vrijheid niet!'

Mc7meDJ
19-04-03, 00:27
er was een passage in een stuk van Robert Fisk wat (misschien) enig licht werpt op wie er verantwoordelijk voor zou kunnen zijn ...

Robert Fisk: For the People on the Streets, This Is Not Liberation But a New Colonial Oppression
The Independent UK

Thursday 17 April 2003

America's war of 'liberation' may be over. But Iraq's war of liberation from the Americans is just about to begin

It's going wrong, faster than anyone could have imagined. The army of "liberation" has already turned into the army of occupation. The Shias are threatening to fight the Americans, to create their own war of "liberation".

Why, Iraqis are asking, did the United States allow the entire Iraqi cabinet to escape? And they're right. Not just the Beast of Baghdad and his two sons, Qusay and Uday, but the Vice-President, Taha Yassin Ramadan, the Deputy Prime Minister, Tariq Aziz, Saddam's personal adviser, Dr A K Hashimi, the ministers of defence, health, the economy, trade, even Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf, the Minister of Information who, long ago, in the days before journalists cosied up to him, was the official who read out the list of executed "brothers" in the purge that followed Saddam's revolution - relatives of prisoners would dose themselves on valium before each Sahaf appearance.

Here's what Baghdadis are noticing - and what Iraqis are noticing in all the main cities of the country. Take the vast security apparatus with which Saddam surrounded himself, the torture chambers and the huge bureaucracy that was its foundation. President Bush promised that America was campaigning for human rights in Iraq, that the guilty, the war criminals, would be brought to trial. The 60 secret police headquarters in Baghdad are empty, even the three-square-mile compound headquarters of the Iraqi Intelligence Service.

I met - extraordinarily - an Iraqi nuclear scientist walking around the compound, a colleague of the former head of Iraqi nuclear physics, Dr Sharistani. "This is the last place I ever wanted to see and I will never return to it," he said to me. "This was the place of greatest evil in all the world."

Iraqis are right to ask why the Americans don't search for this information, just as they are right to demand to know why the entire Saddam cabinet - every man jack of them - got away. The capture by the Americans of Saddam's half-brother and the ageing Palestinian gunman Abu Abbas, whose last violent act was 18 years ago, is pathetic compensation for this.

Now here's another question the Iraqis are asking - and to which I cannot provide an answer. On 8 April, three weeks into the invasion, the Americans dropped four 2,000lb bombs on the Baghdad residential area of Mansur. They claimed they thought Saddam was hiding there. They knew they would kill civilians because it was not, as one Centcom mandarin said, a "risk free venture" (sic). So they dropped their bombs and killed 14 civilians in Mansur, most of them members of a Christian family.

The Americans said they couldn't be sure they had killed Saddam until they could carry out forensic tests at the site. But this turns out to have been a lie. I went there two days ago. Not a single US or British official had bothered to visit the bomb craters. Indeed, when I arrived, there was a putrefying smell and families pulled the remains of a baby from the rubble.

No American officers have apologised for this appalling killing. And I can promise them that the baby I saw being placed under a sheet of black plastic was very definitely not Saddam Hussein. Had they bothered to look at this place - as they claimed they would - they would at least have found the baby. Now the craters are a place of pilgrimage for the people of Baghdad.

Then there's the fires that have consumed every one of the city's ministries - save, of course, for the Ministry of Interior and the Ministry of Oil - as well as UN offices, embassies and shopping malls. I have counted a total of 35 ministries now gutted by fire and the number goes on rising.

Yesterday I found myself at the Ministry of Oil, assiduously guarded by US troops, some of whom were holding clothes over their mouths because of the clouds of smoke swirling down on them from the neighbouring Ministry of Agricultural Irrigation. Hard to believe, isn't it, that they were unaware that someone was setting fire to the next building?

Then I spotted another fire, three kilometres away. I drove to the scene to find flames curling out of all the windows of the Ministry of Higher Education's Department of Computer Science. And right next to it, perched on a wall, was a US Marine, who said he was guarding a neighbouring hospital and didn't know who had lit the next door fire because "you can't look everywhere at once".

Now I'm sure the marine was not being facetious or dishonest - should the Americans not believe this story, he was Corporal Ted Nyholm of the 3rd Regiment, 4th Marines and, yes, I called his fiancée, Jessica, in the States for him to pass on his love - but something is terribly wrong when US soldiers are ordered simply to watch vast ministries being burnt by mobs and do nothing about it.

Because there is also something dangerous - and deeply disturbing - about the crowds setting light to the buildings of Baghdad, including the great libraries and state archives. For they are not looters. The looters come first. The arsonists turn up later, often in blue-and-white buses. I followed one after its passengers had set the Ministry of Trade on fire and it sped out of town.

The official US line on all this is that the looting is revenge - an explanation that is growing very thin - and that the fires are started by "remnants of Saddam's regime", the same "criminal elements", no doubt, who feature in the marines' curfew orders. But people in Baghdad don't believe Saddam's former supporters are starting these fires. And neither do I.

The looters make money from their rampages but the arsonists have to be paid. The passengers in those buses are clearly being directed to their targets. If Saddam had pre-paid them, they wouldn't start the fires. The moment he disappeared, they would have pocketed the money and forgotten the whole project.

So who are they, this army of arsonists? I recognised one the other day, a middle-aged, unshaven man in a red T-shirt, and the second time he saw me he pointed a Kalashnikov at me. What was he frightened of? Who was he working for? In whose interest is it to destroy the entire physical infrastructure of the state, with its cultural heritage? Why didn't the Americans stop this?

As I said, something is going terribly wrong in Baghdad and something is going on which demands that serious questions be asked of the United States government. Why, for example, did Donald Rumsfeld, Secretary of Defence, claim last week that there was no widespread looting or destruction in Baghdad? His statement was a lie. But why did he make it?

The Americans say they don't have enough troops to control the fires. This is also untrue. If they don't, what are the hundreds of soldiers deployed in the gardens of the old Iran-Iraq war memorial doing all day? Or the hundreds camped in the rose gardens of the President Palace?

So the people of Baghdad are asking who is behind the destruction of their cultural heritage: the looting of the archaeological treasures from the national museum; the burning of the entire Ottoman, Royal and State archives; the Koranic library; and the vast infrastructure of the nation we claim we are going to create for them.

Why, they ask, do they still have no electricity and no water? In whose interest is it for Iraq to be deconstructed, divided, burnt, de-historied, destroyed? Why are they issued with orders for a curfew by their so-called liberators?

And it's not just the people of Baghdad, but the Shias of the city of Najaf and of Nasiriyah - where 20,000 protested at America's first attempt to put together a puppet government on Wednesday - who are asking these questions. Now there is looting in Mosul where thousands reportedly set fire to the pro-American governor's car after he promised US help in restoring electricity.

It's easy for a reporter to predict doom, especially after a brutal war that lacked all international legitimacy. But catastrophe usually waits for optimists in the Middle East, especially for false optimists who invade oil-rich nations with ideological excuses and high-flown moral claims and accusations, such as weapons of mass destruction, which are still unproved. So I'll make an awful prediction. That America's war of "liberation" is over. Iraq's war of liberation from the Americans is about to begin. In other words, the real and frightening story starts now.

Bron: http://argument.independent.co.uk/commentators/story.jsp?story=397925

:confused:

Puk
19-04-03, 05:04
Geplaatst door Mc7meDJ
er was een passage in een stuk van Robert Fisk wat (misschien) enig licht werpt op wie er verantwoordelijk voor zou kunnen zijn ...

:confused:

Robert Fisk is een erkende oude hoer.

Donna
19-04-03, 12:50
Geplaatst door Puk
Robert Fisk is een erkende oude hoer.

Hiermee stel je jezelf gelijk aan mensen die hier roepen 'zionistische media' als ze feestende Irakezen op TV zien.

Shooting the messenger.

Feit is dat de VS erbij staat, en ernaar kijkt, als deze types al die gebouwen plunderen, maar het ministerie van Olie wel met hun leven verdedigen. Feit is ook dat de Amerikanen hun eigen belofte snel uit het gebied weg te zullen trekken nooit en te nimmer kunnen waarmaken, omdat dan dat hele land in elkaar sodemietert. Feit is uiteraard ook dat de VS de orde nooit zal handhaven in een land dat democratisch kiest voor een regime dat de VS niet gunstig gezind is. Feit is ook dat de VS een interim regering zullen installeren die de Amerikanen wel gunstig gezind is.

De vraag is nu dus hoe lang die interim regering zal blijven zitten. Onder leiding van de VS.

Het bevrijden van de Irakezen was nooit het doel van de VS. Het is hooguit een mogelijk zeer positief bijproduct van deze aanval. Maar als de bevrijding van de Irakezen het eerste doel van de VS niet is, en er moeten de komende tijd keuzes worden gemaakt waarbij het doel van de VS niet in lijn kan worden gebracht met het belang van een vrij volk, welke keuze zal de VS dan maken denk je?

De eerste keuze is al duidelijk geworden. Het beschermen van vitale Irakeze infrastructuur (zeer in het belang van het volk daar) is geen prioriteit van de VS. Dat verzin ik niet, dat heeft Rumsfeld duidelijk gezegd.

Vertel eens Puk, welke nieuwsberichten die de afgelopen tien dagen naar buiten zijn gekomen hebben jou zo vol vertrouwen gemaakt?

Ron Haleber
19-04-03, 13:48
Geplaatst door Donna
Natuurlijk is de VS mede-verantwoordelijk. . Maar deze situatie heeft de VS totaal verrast.

Niks verrast... De US-invasie was in alle details gepland. Vanuit de eerste Golfoorlog wisten ze al dat er bij het wegvallen van het gezag geplunderd zou worden. Het heeft dus gewoon in de bedoeling gelegen.

Met het plunderen van musea en bibliotheken wordt het Iraakse volk namelijk van zijn "nationalistisch" erfgoed berooft, een erfgoed dat Sadam in ere hield tot en met de restauratie van Ninive.

Sadam was een enorme boef, ja, maar hij baseerde de trots van zijn ideologie op het in stand houden van het nationale erfgoed. Zelf figureerde hij daarbij natuurlijk als een Nebukadnezar en liet de restauratietegeltjes tevens van zijn stempeltje voorzien...

Dit erfgoed van de nationale trots willen de Amerikanen tot tot op de bodem vernietigen...! Democratie is de US stars en stripes en niet anders wordt geduld.

De nationale bibliotheek bevatte archieven, manuscripten fotocopiën van aal kranten van de vorige eeuw, alles tot uit de tijd der Ottomanen. Voedsel en materiaal volgens de US voor de "Sdam-ideologie"...

Waarlijk net als in 1258 hebben de Mongolen weer bezit van Bagdad genomen...! Wie zet ze er weer uit?

Donna
19-04-03, 13:54
Geplaatst door Ron Haleber
Niks verrast... De US-invasie was in alle details gepland. Vanuit de eerste Golfoorlog wisten ze al dat er bij het wegvallen van het gezag geplunderd zou worden. Het heeft dus gewoon in de bedoeling gelegen.

De snelle val van Baghdad heeft de VS denk ik wel verrast. Maar dat ze niet ingegrepen hebben bij de plunderingen zegt genoeg. Wie zwijgt stemt toe.

Ik denk niet dat ze het zelf gepland hebben. Maar als het wel zo is, dan zou het me aan de andere kant ook weer niet verbazen.

Waarom reageer je trouwens wel hierop en niet op mijn andere vragen? Over waarom je de hele tijd zit te vissen naar de 'ware identiteit' van andere prikkers?