PDA

Bekijk Volledige Versie : Violent song lyrics increase aggression

mrz
04-05-03, 23:50
Violent song lyrics increase aggression
23:00 04 May 03
NewScientist.com news service

Songs with violent lyrics increase aggressive thoughts and emotions, suggests a study in US college students.

The study contradicts a popular suggestion that music loaded with violent imagery, such as some rap and heavy metal, are cathartic in venting aggression.

Craig Anderson at Iowa State University and colleagues found that students who listened to songs with violent lyrics were more likely to make aggressive associations in subsequent psychological tests.

Although, the effects were measured over a short time only, the team believes listening to violent lyrics could have a long-term effect - contributing to the development of a more aggressive and confrontational personality.

"Aggressive thoughts can influence perceptions of ongoing social interactions, colouring them with an aggressive tint," said Anderson. "Listening to angry, violent music does not appear to provide the kind of cathartic release that the general public and some professional and pop psychologists believe."

Anderson stresses that "content matters" when it comes to violent media - a finding backed by many other studies on the effects of violent television or video games. "The message is important for all consumers, but especially for parents of children and adolescents," he said.

Rock animal

Researchers at Iowa and the Texas Department of Human Services in Austin tested over 500 students in five experiments. They exposed students to songs by rap artists including the Beastie Boys, Cypress Hill and Run DMC.

To make sure they were testing for the effect of lyrics only, the researchers exposed them to violent and non-violent songs by the same band. Individual personality differences to hostility were also assessed and taken into account.

Those exposed to violent lyrics scored higher on aggression in a variety of psychological tests. For example, one task involved students classifying words that can have both aggressive and non-aggressive meanings like rock, animal and stick. Students who listened to violent lyrics were more likely to make aggressive associations. This is a "semantic priming process" say the researchers.

It also increased the proportion of word fragments - for example h-t - filled in to make aggressive words like hit, rather than non-aggressive words like hat.

The effects were specifically due to song lyrics and not musical style, artist or the energy of the song as these factors were controlled for, says the team.

Journal reference: Journal of Personality and Social Psychology: (vol 84, p 960)

Shaoni Bhattacharya

Zo, laat ik P.O.D. maar weer eens opzetten :P

lennart
04-05-03, 23:56
Geplaatst door mrz
Zo, laat ik P.O.D. maar weer eens opzetten :P

P.O.D. is een gristelijke georienteerde rockgroep :p

Ik raad System of a Down aan :rambo:

mrz
05-05-03, 00:12
Zucht lennart, sleeping awake?

Arvid
05-05-03, 10:36
SLAPPELINGEN!!!

het echte summum liedje van agressie is deze:

NWA - Natural born killers

downloaden!
echt vet cool liedje

barfly
05-05-03, 10:42
Ik zelf wordt anders bloed agressief van Jamai, als ik die hoor dan komen de meest verschrikkelijke gedachten in me op! :handbang:

mrz
05-05-03, 10:54
Lol, de slappelingen zijn de as van het kwaad man. Snap je het nog niet?

Dit soort muziek heeft op mij een extreem rustgevend effect... En dan komen daar geneens lyrics aan te pas!

http://www.n5md.com/playlists/track11.m3u

Tomas
05-05-03, 10:59
Geplaatst door mrz
Snap je het nog niet?

Mrz, je moet echt wat meer geduld met je mede prikkers krijgen.

Ahold op bijna 6 euro geeft mij een rustgevend gevoel.

Pixelshade
05-05-03, 12:23
Geplaatst door Arvid
SLAPPELINGEN!!!

het echte summum liedje van agressie is deze:

NWA - Natural born killers

downloaden!
echt vet cool liedje

hehe zekers, ik had de live versie ervan, superbruut

btw

East side LA, Cypress Hill all day :zwaai:

Donna
05-05-03, 12:28
Geplaatst door barfly
Ik zelf wordt anders bloed agressief van Jamai, als ik die hoor dan komen de meest verschrikkelijke gedachten in me op! :handbang:

Ik ook.

Wat een VRESELIJK joch. :boos:

NIS1
05-05-03, 15:08
Slappelingen hierooo.. Cypress Hill my ass.. :boos:

Straight outta Compton, crazy motherfucker named Ice CubeFrom the gang called Niggaz With Attitudes (NWA) When I'm called off, I got a sawed off Squeeze the trigger, and bodies are hauled offYou too, boy, if ya fuck with meThe police are gonna hafta come and get meOff yo ass, that's how I'm goin outFor the punk motherfuckers that's showin outNiggaz start to mumble, they wanna rumbleMix em and cook em in a pot like gumboGoin off on a motherfucker like thatwith a gat that's pointed at yo assSo give it up smoothAin't no tellin when I'm down for a jack moveHere's a murder rap to keep yo dancinwith a crime record like Charles MansonAK-47 is the toolDon't make me act the motherfuckin foolMe you can go toe to toe, no maybeI'm knockin niggaz out tha box, dailyyo weekly, monthly and yearlyuntil them dumb motherfuckers see clearlythat I'm down with the capital C-P-TBoy you can't fuck with meSo when I'm in your neighborhood, you better duckCoz Ice Cube is crazy as fuckAs I leave, believe I'm stompinbut when I come back, boy, I'm comin straight outta Compton :handbang:

barfly
05-05-03, 22:40
Geplaatst door lennart
P.O.D. is een gristelijke georienteerde rockgroep :p

Ik raad System of a Down aan :rambo:

SOAD roels BIG time! :wohaa:

mrz
05-05-03, 22:52
Ken je Jedi Mind Tricks NIS1? Ook wel grappig, beetje down maar wel aardige teksten... :duim:

Orakel
05-05-03, 23:04
Body Count van Ice-T :fplet:

ow ja, en Escape from the killingfields :duivel: