PDA

Bekijk Volledige Versie : cartonist onslagen wegens kritiek op israel

observer
15-08-03, 08:27
de nieuw zeelandse cartonist malcom evans is ontslagen door zijn werkgever omdat hij weigerde op te houden met critische cartoons

brief van Evans aan Daryl Cagle

Regular readers of our site know the excellent work of the New Zealand Herald's award winning cartoonist, Malcolm Evans. Malcolm was fired yesterday because he insisted on continuing to draw cartoons that were critical of Israel, despite the objections of his editors. The cartoon above is one of a series that garnered a pink slip for Malcolm.

The Herald refuses to talk about Malcolm's firing. Malcolm wrote this letter to me, explaining the situation:

Dear Daryl -

Thanks so much for taking the time to drop me a line. The response to my situation has been overwhelming and so, while on the one hand I have never felt so alone, at the same time so surrounded by friends.

I am by nature, as I think many of our fraternity are, a relatively solitary person and so didn't go looking for this fight. However, as you correctly report, it came looking for me in the form of an ultimatum, that I must desist from supplying anti -Israel cartoons to the paper, if I wished to remain employed. That was subsequently watered down to the assertion of an Editor's general right, but I believe that's only window dressing.

As you also report, I have always acknowledged the Editor's absolute right of refusal to run a cartoon, but this edict went an ominous step further and I had no choice but to resist.

I believe that the public not only regard our work as as a reflection of the cartoonist's opinion on any given day, but judge it as part of a continuum - part of a bigger picture - and a certain trust is established - the viewer can see where the cartoonist is coming from. So, in my view, it's a fraud on the reader to allow someone else to genetically engineer a detail of that bigger picture.

And as more and more media is controlled by fewer and fewer people, the cartoonist must be ever more vigilant that his opinions are not hi-jacked in the way that so much of our news appears to be.

However the saddest thing for me throughout this whole affair (and it's been going on for a year or more) has been the Pro-Israeli faction's attempt to paint me as an anti-semitic nazi. While I realise that such a smear campaign is part of their stock in trade, it still hurts.

For the record, I happen to believe that our society and civilisation owes a debt of gratitude to centuries of Jewish initiative in every field of human endeavour. Out of all proportion to their number among us, we have been blessed with the efforts, both singly and as communities, of Jewish scholars, artists, authors, composers, craftsmen, social scientists , philanthropists you name it - the list goes on.

But Zionism is something else!

I also believe that the Holocaust is without doubt the greatest crime in recorded history and together with all the pogroms and persecutions of jews that preceeded it, is Europe's greatest shame. But if it's Europe's greatest crime, how can it be fair that it be used to justify the establishment of a safe haven, for which Palestinian peasants must pay the price.

Kind regards - Malcolm Evans.

Click to see a television report from New Zealand on Malcolm's firing.

Click here to see an archive of Malcolm's work.

Malcolm won the Qantas Award as "Best Cartoonist of the Year" in New Zealand last year and has drawn for the New Zealand Herald for seven years. He is a regular contributor to our site.

plexus
15-08-03, 08:34
thumbs up for Malcom! :duim:
Helaas schijten nog teveel mensen voor dat leugenstaatje!

iSrAeLgIrLy
15-08-03, 08:40
Geplaatst door plexus
thumbs up for Malcom! :duim:
Helaas schijten nog teveel mensen voor dat leugenstaatje!

LEUGENSTAATJE??

Het land waar ik nu ben een leugenstaatje?
Hoe kan ik er dan zijn????????????

Mark
15-08-03, 08:45
Geplaatst door iSrAeLgIrLy

Bet el? Battle?

an3sdej
15-08-03, 09:12
Dit is toch je reinste ondermijning van de vrijheid van meningsuiting en de persvrijheid. Zeer slechte zaak. Ben benieuwd of dit soort zaken ook en west Europa plaatsvinden, tot nu toe nog niets van gehoord.

Aan de andere kant heeft een bepaalde krant natuurlijk wel een imago, en als sommige uitingen niet kloppen met wat de lezer wenst te lezen, geeft het voor de directie van zo'n medium wel de nodige problemen en dilemma's. En in het uiterste geval weegt dan het economische belang, de verkoopcijfers, de doorslag in het nadeel van de cartoonist.