Bekijk Volledige Versie : Amanpour: CNN Practiced Self-Censorship

Zagora
17-09-03, 23:48
Amanpour: CNN Practiced Self-Censorship

uploaded 17 Sep 2003

Amanpour: CNN Practiced Self-Censorship
by Peter Johnson

September 15, 2003

CNN's top war correspondent, Christiane Amanpour, says that the press muzzled itself during the Iraq war. And, she says CNN "was intimidated" by the Bush administration and Fox News, which "put a climate of fear and self-censorship."
As criticism of the war and its aftermath intensifies, Amanpour joins a chorus of journalists and pundits who charge that the media largely toed the Bush administrationline in covering the war and, by doing so, failed to aggressively question the motives behind the invasion.

On last week's Topic A With Tina Brown on CNBC, Brown, the former Talk magazine editor, asked comedian Al Franken, former Pentagon spokeswoman Torie Clarke and Amanpour if "we in the media, as much as in the administration, drank the Kool-Aid when it came to the war."

Said Amanpour: "I think the press was muzzled, and I think the press self-muzzled. I'm sorry to say, but certainly television and, perhaps, to a certain extent, my station was intimidated by the administration and its foot soldiers at Fox News. And it did, in fact, put a climate of fear and self-censorship, in my view, in terms of the kind of broadcast work we did."

Brown then asked Amanpour if there was any story during the war that she couldn't report.

"It's not a question of couldn't do it, it's a question of tone," Amanpour said. "It's a question of being rigorous. It's really a question of really asking the questions. All of the entire body politic in my view, whether it's the administration, the intelligence, the journalists, whoever, did not ask enough questions, for instance, about weapons of mass destruction. I mean, it looks like this was disinformation at the highest levels."

Clarke called the disinformation charge "categorically untrue" and added, "In my experience, a little over two years at the Pentagon, I never saw them (the media) holding back. I saw them reporting the good, the bad and the in between."

Fox News spokeswoman Irena Briganti said of Amanpour's comments: "Given the choice, it's better to be viewed as a foot soldier for Bush than a spokeswoman for al-Qaeda."

CNN had no comment.

USAToday

lennart
18-09-03, 13:40
Cristiana heeft dat volgens mij al veel eerder gezegd. Alleen onlangs deed ze het op een veel bekeken Amerikaans televisie debat programma. Vandaar de ophef. Hoe gek het ook mogen lijken voor ons, maar enige zelfkritiek in Amerikaanse journalistiek is de afgelopen maanden bestookt met beschuldigingen. Amanpour is dan volgens mij ook bezig met een kleine coup in de news-room van CNN.
Mensen met een anti-oorlog standpunt krijgen nu meer tijd om hun standpunt te verdedigen en er is opeens kritiek op Bush mogelijk.
Na afloop van de speech die Bush deed voor Amerikaanse televisie was op Larry King live een segment van een kwartier met journalisten waar onder Amanpour. De meeste journalisten waren Brits (!) en de NYTimes was ook aanwezig. De kritiek was niet mals. Het ging zelfs zover dat een Democratische (!) senaatslid zei dat de journalisten wel erg negatief deden. Dat deden ze natuurlijk niet, maar iedereen is daar zo gehersenspoeld dat alles perfect gaat in de 'war on terror' dat ze niet meer gewend zijn aan kritiek.

Jimi
18-09-03, 14:45
Geplaatst door lennart
iedereen is daar zo gehersenspoeld dat ze niet meer gewend zijn aan kritiek.

Grappig. De beheerders van deze site hebben daar ook last van...wordt het allemaal een beetje te confronterend, jongens?

Zagora
18-09-03, 14:47
Geplaatst door Jimi
Grappig. De beheerders van deze site hebben daar ook last van...wordt het allemaal een beetje te confronterend, jongens?

Wat bedoel je?

Jimi
18-09-03, 14:48
Geplaatst door Zagora
Wat bedoel je?

Een aantal van mijn berichtjes wordt steeds verwijderd...

Zagora
18-09-03, 14:49
Geplaatst door Jimi
Een aantal van mijn berichtjes wordt steeds verwijderd...

O...vreemd

Jimi
18-09-03, 14:53
Geplaatst door Zagora
O...vreemd

Beetje jammer...

Zagora
18-09-03, 14:55
Geplaatst door Jimi
Beetje jammer...

Kop op...de zon schijnt

mulan
21-09-03, 10:32
Fox News spokeswoman Irena Briganti said of Amanpour's comments: "Given the choice, it's better to be viewed as a foot soldier for Bush than a spokeswoman for al-Qaeda."

Dit zegt toch eigenlijk al genoeg.......alsof er een keuze gemaakt moet worden,jeetje,breng het nieuws gewoon.