PDA

Bekijk Volledige Versie : "The Trouble with Islam"

Abdul Karim
23-09-03, 18:02
Zo duidt de titel van het boek dat door de Canadeese Irshad Manji is geschreven.

Trouble in being a Muslim, is vast wat zij de mensen wil duidelijk maken. Zelfs voor auteurs is het blijkbaar moeilijk om Islam en Moslims te onderscheiden. :(

http://www.muslim-refusenik.com/home.html

freya
23-09-03, 19:41
The trouble with Islam is...

As I see it, the trouble with Islam is that individual lives are too small and the lies we tell to excuse that fact are too big. Neither has to be the case under a compassionate and merciful God, as Muslims like to describe Allah. The Trouble with Islam, then, is a plea for all of us, as citizens of the world, to help Islam fulfill its glorious humanitarian potential, so that we all gain in diversity, dignity and security.

At the beginning of my book, I call myself a "Muslim Refusenik". That doesn't mean I refuse to be a Muslim; it means that I refuse to join an army of automatons in the name of God.

In that spirit, I'm asking Muslims in the West a very basic question: Will we remain spiritually infantile, caving to cultural pressures to clam up and conform, or will we mature into full-fledged citizens, defending the very pluralism that allows us to be in this part of the world in the first place?

My question for non-Muslims is equally basic: Will you succumb to the intimidation of being called "racists," or will you finally challenge us Muslims to take responsibility for our role in what ails Islam?

The Trouble with Islam is a wake-up call for honesty and change on everybody's part. Through the book and this website, let's create conversations where none existed before.

© Irshad Manji 2003

an3sdej
23-09-03, 19:52
:duim: Goede vragen en opmerkingen.