PDA

Bekijk Volledige Versie : VS: Christen Fundamentalisten?

Wizdom
25-02-04, 19:48
How religion defines America

By Dr Richard Land
Southern Baptist Convention

Unlike some other Western countries, the United States remains an overwhelmingly religious society. The BBC programme What the World Thinks of God examines the modern world's relationship with God. Among those taking part is Dr Richard Land who explains how profoundly religion influences American society and politics.
The USA is a very religious society. Evidence abounds demonstrating Americans' deep and abiding religious convictions.

A Gallup Poll released in November 2003 found that six out of ten Americans said that religion was "very important" in their lives.

FAITH IN AMERICA
Protestant (White Evangelical) 30%
Roman Catholics 25%
Protestant (Liberal) 20%
Protestant (African-American) 8%
Jewish 2%
Other 15%
Source: City University of New York (2001)

In contrast, in Canada and the United Kingdom, two societies often perceived as quite similar to the United States, only 28% and 17% respectively described religion as similarly important in their lives.

A survey done in 2001 by the City University of New York Graduate Center found that 85% of Americans identify with some religious faith.

The same study concluded that by most standards the United States was a more professingly religious country than any European nations except Ireland and Poland.

Conservative belief

Most Americans believe in the literal truth of Old Testament stories
The religious convictions of Americans tend toward the conservative end of the spectrum.

An ABC news poll, done in February 2004, found that approximately 60% of Americans believe that the Genesis creation account, Noah's ark and a global flood, and Moses' parting of the Red Sea are "literally true."

Belief in the literal veracity of these biblical accounts was highest among the fastest growing segment of American faith, evangelical Protestantism (nearly 90% acceptance).

How does such robust religious faith impact and influence American government and the nation's domestic and foreign policies?

Religious vote

An ABC news exit poll taken on Election Day 2000 found that among the 42% of voters who attended religious services at least once a week, 58% voted for Bush.

Conversely, Gore won 61% among the 14% of Americans who reported they never attended religious services.

Perhaps 40% of President Bush's total raw vote was provided by self-identified "evangelical" Christians

Dr Richard Land
It is difficult to imagine the United States electing a candidate with the beliefs and policies of a George W. Bush, or for that matter a Ronald Reagan, without the strong role an increasingly conservative faith plays in tens of millions of Americans' lives.

Some estimates conclude that perhaps 40% of President Bush's total raw vote was provided by self-identified "evangelical" Christians.

Religion and society

How does this deep and abiding religious belief impact American society?

According to an ICM poll in January 2004, Americans believe in the supernatural (91%), an afterlife (74%), "belief in a God/higher power makes you a better human being" (82%), God or a higher power judged their actions (76%), and perhaps most tellingly "would die for their God/beliefs" (71%).

In 1880 Dostoyevsky wrote in The Brothers Karamazov that "If God does not exist, then everything is permissible."

The history of his native Russia, wracked by the atrocities of atheistic communism for most of the 20th century, serves as a most graphic example of the truth of his conclusion.

Nazism, above all detested religion because it called for allegiance to something greater than the state, namely God.

President Bush at the opening of a Bible fellowship centre in Texas
When 71% of Americans say they would die for their faith, they are pledging allegiance to a loyalty beyond their loyalty to their country and are saying the exact polar opposite of "my country, right or wrong."

It is very important at this point to make a critical distinction: to be willing to die for one's faith is utterly different than to kill for it.

The overwhelming majority of Americans, religious and otherwise, would never feel that it is morally acceptable to kill, or even discriminate against, someone because they were of a differing faith or no faith.

As an evangelical Christian, I would not only die for my faith, I would die for any person's right to live their lives according to the dictates of their own consciences.

My personal commitment to the soul liberty of every human being is as deep as my commitment to Jesus Christ as my Saviour and Lord.

Like virtually all Americans of faith, I believe that a person's relationship to his or her God is a sacred matter which no other human being or group of human beings (government or religious communion) has the right to forcibly interfere with or seek to coerce.

As an evangelical Christian I believe in the right to share my faith and to seek to persuade others, as they have an equal right to seek to persuade me, but force or coercion - never!

~Panthera~
25-02-04, 20:07
Geplaatst door Wizdom
How religion defines America

By Dr Richard Land
Southern Baptist Convention

Unlike some other Western countries, the United States remains an overwhelmingly religious society. The BBC programme What the World Thinks of God examines the modern world's relationship with God. Among those taking part is Dr Richard Land who explains how profoundly religion influences American society and politics.
The USA is a very religious society. Evidence abounds demonstrating Americans' deep and abiding religious convictions.

A Gallup Poll released in November 2003 found that six out of ten Americans said that religion was "very important" in their lives.

FAITH IN AMERICA
Protestant (White Evangelical) 30%
Roman Catholics 25%
Protestant (Liberal) 20%
Protestant (African-American) 8%
Jewish 2%
Other 15%
Source: City University of New York (2001)

In contrast, in Canada and the United Kingdom, two societies often perceived as quite similar to the United States, only 28% and 17% respectively described religion as similarly important in their lives.

A survey done in 2001 by the City University of New York Graduate Center found that 85% of Americans identify with some religious faith.

The same study concluded that by most standards the United States was a more professingly religious country than any European nations except Ireland and Poland.

Conservative belief

Most Americans believe in the literal truth of Old Testament stories
The religious convictions of Americans tend toward the conservative end of the spectrum.

An ABC news poll, done in February 2004, found that approximately 60% of Americans believe that the Genesis creation account, Noah's ark and a global flood, and Moses' parting of the Red Sea are "literally true."

Belief in the literal veracity of these biblical accounts was highest among the fastest growing segment of American faith, evangelical Protestantism (nearly 90% acceptance).

How does such robust religious faith impact and influence American government and the nation's domestic and foreign policies?

Religious vote

An ABC news exit poll taken on Election Day 2000 found that among the 42% of voters who attended religious services at least once a week, 58% voted for Bush.

Conversely, Gore won 61% among the 14% of Americans who reported they never attended religious services.

Perhaps 40% of President Bush's total raw vote was provided by self-identified "evangelical" Christians

Dr Richard Land
It is difficult to imagine the United States electing a candidate with the beliefs and policies of a George W. Bush, or for that matter a Ronald Reagan, without the strong role an increasingly conservative faith plays in tens of millions of Americans' lives.

Some estimates conclude that perhaps 40% of President Bush's total raw vote was provided by self-identified "evangelical" Christians.

Religion and society

How does this deep and abiding religious belief impact American society?

According to an ICM poll in January 2004, Americans believe in the supernatural (91%), an afterlife (74%), "belief in a God/higher power makes you a better human being" (82%), God or a higher power judged their actions (76%), and perhaps most tellingly "would die for their God/beliefs" (71%).

In 1880 Dostoyevsky wrote in The Brothers Karamazov that "If God does not exist, then everything is permissible."

The history of his native Russia, wracked by the atrocities of atheistic communism for most of the 20th century, serves as a most graphic example of the truth of his conclusion.

Nazism, above all detested religion because it called for allegiance to something greater than the state, namely God.

President Bush at the opening of a Bible fellowship centre in Texas
When 71% of Americans say they would die for their faith, they are pledging allegiance to a loyalty beyond their loyalty to their country and are saying the exact polar opposite of "my country, right or wrong."

It is very important at this point to make a critical distinction: to be willing to die for one's faith is utterly different than to kill for it.

The overwhelming majority of Americans, religious and otherwise, would never feel that it is morally acceptable to kill, or even discriminate against, someone because they were of a differing faith or no faith.
As an evangelical Christian, I would not only die for my faith, I would die for any person's right to live their lives according to the dictates of their own consciences.

My personal commitment to the soul liberty of every human being is as deep as my commitment to Jesus Christ as my Saviour and Lord.

Like virtually all Americans of faith, I believe that a person's relationship to his or her God is a sacred matter which no other human being or group of human beings (government or religious communion) has the right to forcibly interfere with or seek to coerce.

As an evangelical Christian I believe in the right to share my faith and to seek to persuade others, as they have an equal right to seek to persuade me, but force or coercion - never!
-----------------

Dat lees ik toch goed he ?? :confused:

Blade20
25-02-04, 20:29
balans wizdom. Dat is ook de reden waarom de aarde nooit in hande zal zijn van een enkele menselijke macht.

de mensheid in de tredmolen....jammer dat ze het niet doorhebben.

lennart
25-02-04, 20:35
Sja... Dat de Christen Fundamentalisten aan de macht zijn in de VS probeer ik al vele maanden mensen van te overtuigen. Helaas heeft het weinig effect. Veel Nederlanders denken dat het wel meevalt.

Helaas dit soort fundamentalisten zijn bereid om hun eigen toekomstbeeld te vervullen. Hun toekomstbeeld is het terugkeren van Christus op aarde. Maar voordat dat kan gebeuren moet eerst de grote afrekening plaatsvinden. Dat is waar Bush mee bezig is. De oorlogen die hierdoor zullen komen zullen aan honderden miljoenen mensen het leven kosten.

En de mensen die Bush steunen omdat hij zich zo voor Israel inzet. Tijdens dezelfde afrekening zal ook het Joodse volk getroffen worden, maar dat gebeurt pas nadat alle Joden in Israel zitten.

Bofko
26-02-04, 01:37
Geplaatst door lennart
Sja... Dat de Christen Fundamentalisten aan de macht zijn in de VS probeer ik al vele maanden mensen van te overtuigen. Helaas heeft het weinig effect. Veel Nederlanders denken dat het wel meevalt.

Helaas dit soort fundamentalisten zijn bereid om hun eigen toekomstbeeld te vervullen. Hun toekomstbeeld is het terugkeren van Christus op aarde. Maar voordat dat kan gebeuren moet eerst de grote afrekening plaatsvinden. Dat is waar Bush mee bezig is. De oorlogen die hierdoor zullen komen zullen aan honderden miljoenen mensen het leven kosten.

En de mensen die Bush steunen omdat hij zich zo voor Israel inzet. Tijdens dezelfde afrekening zal ook het Joodse volk getroffen worden, maar dat gebeurt pas nadat alle Joden in Israel zitten.

Nou,nou,nou. Als volgens mij deze voorspelling niet uitkomt als Bush in de komende verkiezingen gewoon verslagen wordt kom je gewoon met een andere voorspelling van dezelfde orde van grootte. Het erkennen van - oh ik zat fout- zal er dan wel niet bij zijn. Megalomanie.

TonH
26-02-04, 01:47
Geplaatst door lennart

Dus dan is Bush een Joseph Kony in het groot. :schok:

lennart
26-02-04, 02:08
Geplaatst door Bofko
Nou,nou,nou. Als volgens mij deze voorspelling niet uitkomt als Bush in de komende verkiezingen gewoon verslagen wordt kom je gewoon met een andere voorspelling van dezelfde orde van grootte. Het erkennen van - oh ik zat fout- zal er dan wel niet bij zijn. Megalomanie.

Nah.... dan heb ik als het goed is een full-time job... heb ik geen tijd meer om voorspellingen te doen :)

000NobelPrizes
26-02-04, 08:55
Geplaatst door lennart

Wat een ongelooflijke ouwehoer ben je toch. :maf:
Zit er iets in het leidingwater van Zwolle?
Christenfundamentalisten, Jezus trug, oorlogen, honderden miljoenen doden... man oh man.
Heb je het blauwe tafzijden japonnetje van Jomanda geleend voor dit profetische geleuter?

Bofko
26-02-04, 09:04
Geplaatst door 000NobelPrizes
Wat een ongelooflijke ouwehoer ben je toch. :maf:
Zit er iets in het leidingwater van Zwolle?
Christenfundamentalisten, Jezus trug, oorlogen, honderden miljoenen doden... man oh man.
Heb je het blauwe tafzijden japonnetje van Jomanda geleend voor dit profetische geleuter?

Waarschijnlijk heeft hij gisteren te veel complimenten gehad en is daarvan compleet doorgeslagen.

Mark
26-02-04, 09:52
Geheel terecht, je bent gelovig Christen of niet. Hoe kun je het OT niet letterlijk nemen en toch gelovig zijn? Dat kan niet. Deze mensen zijn echte gelovigen. Niets opzienbarends dus.

Ik ga niet eens in op die domme beweringen over het feit dat zonder geloof in God alles is toegestaan, vrijwel alle religies leiden tot slachtingen en massamoorden.

De gemiddelde mens is zwak, hypocriet en dom. Halleluja