PDA

Bekijk Volledige Versie : Has Britney gone Jewish???

barneveld
05-06-04, 22:20
Has Britney gone Jewish???

The New Age movement has been embraced by people of all ages and races across the globe. Its philosophy is deeply rooted in ancient traditions, often based on mystical experiences, each within a different context.

In the last few years, Hollywood stars and music divas have also joined this band-wagon, with many "soul-searchers" studying various teachings and taking on different belief systems.

Lately, reports said Britney Spears - undoubtedly one of the hottest and sexiest pop stars around – followed music veteran Madonna's footsteps when she had a tattoo of a Jewish mystical symbol etched on to her body as an act of devotion to Kabalah – the mystical form of Judaism.
The letters mem, hey and shin, which mean "protection" according to the Jewish Kabalah were tattooed to the back part of the 22-year-old star's neck.

For some reason, it turns out, Britney thought the combination of these letters means "new beginning" in Hebrew, but it actually means "protection". Moreover, tattoos are forbidden under Jewish law. Meanwhile, some reports even suggested Spears wears a red Kabalah bracelet around her wrist.

An unnamed source, cited recently by the Daily Mirror, was quoted as saying about the new tattoo that, "She [Britney] had hoped it would say 'new year' or 'new era'. It seems she's got the words the wrong way round".

"It is meaningless which will come as a bit of a blow to Britney.

"She's taken to Kabalah pretty seriously and this was a big deal for her", the source said, and added, "She's going to be gutted when she finds out."

With the taste of your lips
I'm on a ride
You're toxic I'm slippin' under
With the taste of the poison paradise
I'm addicted to you (Toxic, Spears)

A doctrine of Jewish mysticism - the Kabalah - appeared in Jewish mystic circles in Spain and southern France in the 12th century. According to the Kabalah, God gave a second revelation to Moses together with the Law.

It explained the secret meaning of the Law. This revelation is said to have been passed on down the ages by initiates. Kabalistic studies in the Hebrew scriptures developed in a theosophical mystique and sometimes in a sort of unintended religious magic. The Kabalah teaches one to embrace small sparks of daily experiences and the seemingly insignificant moments of life.

Husbands, as Britney has proven, can be erased quite easily but tattoos are a bit harder to remove…This is not the first tattoo the pop diva has had tattooed on to her body. She has been left red-faced once before when she had a Japanese word scratched on to her hip bone. That tattoo was supposed to mean "mysterious" but in fact turned out to mean "strange". Britney was reportedly distressed when she found out the truth from her best friend, actress Taryn Manning.

However, Britney still continues to decorate herself. She also has a butterfly script on her toe which she believes says "freedom" and another on her foot - a flower circling her second toe - that she now thinks is ugly. She was quoted as saying, "I'd like to get rid of it because it doesn't look the way I'd hoped it would. It's a blob."
She also has an angel etching on her back and it was reported in February that she went under the needle in a very personal place…

Don't you know that you're toxic?
And I love what you do
Don't you know that you're toxic?
Don't you know that you're toxic? (Toxic, Spears)

Meanwhile, recent reports said two other well known stars have also joined the Kabalah trend, incorporating the mystical experience in their love life. Hollywood actress Demi Moore, 42, has secretly wed her lover Ashton Kutcher, 26, according to reports in an American magazine. "One person currently studying Kabalah says she was informed during a recent class that Demi and Ashton had wed during an hour-long ceremony," according to reports from In Touch magazine. The magazine also added that the couple planned to make their wedding common knowledge at a friend's party later this year. However, Moore's spokesman denied these reports and said, "It's not true. They went down there for Passover holiday." Unconfirmed reports stated the wedding was conducted according to Kabalah practices.

Back to Britney, it appears she's following Madonna's path, not only when it comes to music, but also in more personal realms of life. Britney was introduced to Kabalah by no other than….Madonna, who has been studying Kabbalah since 1997. In the field of music, Madonna lent her outstanding voice to Brit's single "Me Against The Music."

Collaborating with one of her all-time greatest musical influences was truly a dream come true for young Britney.
"The experience was beyond words or description," Britney has said. The two music talents forged what has become a powerful bond while rehearsing for their exceptional performance on the MTV Video Music Awards this fall. "As we were working together, there were moments when I simply could not believe that I was standing there on stage next to her. It was never even in the realm of fantasy for me."
The union of Britney and Madonna seems to be extremely magical. Both singers have also been known to stir a controversy or two during their successful careers. Madonna, for instance, had Kabalah symbols on her arm in the video for the James Bond theme song Die Another Day. Several Judaism scholars were quite angered by the sacred text and religious objects that appeared in Madonna's video. The video features Madonna with Hebrew letters tattooed on her arm and tefillin (small leather cubes, containing biblical verses and worn with straps during Jewish morning worship), while she's being electrocuted.
Britney is very much inspired by Madonna. She once said, "There is only one Madonna - and there will always only be one."

"My goal is to have a career that is equally as special, but one that is completely unique to who I am. I'm honored by all that Madonna brought to this song. I really love the flow we share - both on the track and as friends. I think you can feel the chemistry and positive energy we shared. It's completely natural and relaxed."

Last year, Catholic-born Madonna, said, "I'm not Jewish in the conventional sense," and added she was attracted to the metaphysical in Kabalah. "I was looking for something. I mean, I'd begun practicing yoga and ... I was looking for the answers to life. ... I know there's more to life than making lots of money and being successful and even getting married and having a family."

Madonna added, “…Kabalah is a belief system that predates religion and predates Judaism as an organized religion”. She explained that it's a “belief system. It's incredibly scientific”.

The 'Material girl' further said, “Jesus was a Kabalist. Jesus was a rabbi. And essentially Christianity took a very important concept of the Kabalah, which is love thy neighbor as thyself, and that became the foundation of Christianity. Obviously it's been... unfortunately Christianity has taken certain things out of context. I mean, there's no point in killing people if they don't become Christians. That's not - it's got nothing to do with loving your neighbor as yourself”.

Living in a material world
And I am a material girl
You know that we are living in a material world
And I am a material girl (Material Girl, Madonna)

Britney's musical intensity and her evolution from a teen renegade into a provocative young woman are obvious. Britney was born on December 2, 1981 in rural Kentwood, Louisiana. When she was eight years old, Britney tried out for "MMC" (1989), but was turned down due to her young age. This directed her to an off-Broadway show, "Ruthless", for a two-year run as the title character. At age 11, she again tried for "The New MMC" and this time made it along side many current stars.

Her big break, however, came when she was signed as a Jive Recording Artist in the late 90s. With the release of her debut album, "...Baby One More Time" in early 1999, Britney became a huge international success, selling 13 million copies of "Baby" and 9 million (as of July 2001) of her sophomore album, "Oops!...I Did It Again," released in May of 2000.

It is an interesting trend that many successful figures as well as ordinary people have decided to turn to different religions and mystical teachings in order to find some "pseudo-meaning" in their lives.

They usually embrace these foreign beliefs without really understanding the true meaning and essence encompassing them. Undoubtedly, this phenomenon is yet another indication of the glitziness, superficiality and shallowness, which characterizes American society, especially in the modern and post-modern era. (Albawaba.com)